Zigbee

Looking through the forums I see lots of posts about possible and experimental zigbee support but no real way to do it.

Has anyone tried just plugging a zigbee USB stick into the veralite or vera3?

The reason I ask is it would open up a whole new world of devices. There are a ton of zigbee devices that are quite a bit cheaper than zwave right now and it would give us the agility to use both standards (similar to the insteon plugin).

Could this work? What if we plug in the USB and install some linux drivers for it. Would it work?

According the Vera representatives at CES, Zigbee support via USB dongle will be available by the end of the year in UI7.

Not that easily. You would still need XML templates to define ZigBee devices in a way that Vera could understand and also some form of software “connector” or plugin to tell Vera to use your ZigBee interface to reach the device rather than Z-Wave or Insteon. It is not a trivial mod that can be accomplished by an end user, though I suspect there may be a developer or three on this forum that could pull it off.

If @Lonestar10 is correct, that UI7 will include it ZigBee support, it will be far better to wait for UI7 to be released.

end of the year?! wow…

I may jump ship to webee or something by then.

[quote=“alienz, post:4, topic:178879”]end of the year?! wow…

I may jump ship to webee or something by then.[/quote]
Suddenly I feel like I’ve been trolled by the Webee marketing department.

All I can say is that Webee is one of MANY new offerings that proclaim many promises. So far, I have yet to see anyone truly deliver. Even MCV has made promises that they are yet to deliver a year or more later. It is a common frustration in the tech world.

lol don’t mean to troll. I just wish I could do more now. I guess being new to it, I am passionate about doing everything I can.

I just got my concord alarm system put in, waiting for the usb cable to get it integrated ( I thought it was wireless like an idiot and now I have to relocate my veralite)

Also, typing all these captchas (4) everytime I post is annoying as hell.

They will go away after so many posts. It’s to prevent spam bots.

• Garrett

Any update on this? The end of the year is in sight… :slight_smile:

so I had the same question today and called them up.

There’s a rumor they are releasing new hardware at the end of the month but they aren’t allowed to talk about it or specific products or specs.

It would suck hard if I couldn’t just put a zigbee dongle on my veralite and instead have to spend hundreds.

[quote=“alienz, post:9, topic:178879”]so I had the same question today and called them up.

There’s a rumor they are releasing new hardware at the end of the month but they aren’t allowed to talk about it or specific products or specs.

It would suck hard if I couldn’t just put a zigbee dongle on my veralite and instead have to spend hundreds.[/quote]

Good luck, if they spend time and money on allowing you to keep your old veralite updated they don’t make any money. Since we don’t pay them monthly their best interest is to release a new box with more memory and more capability.

If you have a look here http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26451.30.html