Z-wave outlet outdoors?

Is there a model (or models) of z-wave electrical outlet that can be used outdoors when installed properly by an electrician?

You could mount a normal wall zwave socket in a water proof out door enclosure. I believe that’s up to code even.
The only other outdoor one I kno2 of plugs into an existing outlet. GE makes it, it’s the GE/Jasco 12720 or 45604

I have a normal Z-wave receptacle in a standard, UL listed, waterproof outdoor box. I’m almost certain this is up to code because it is fed from a GFCI circuit. I believe all outdoor receptacles need to be GFCI today. A professional installing it should know the codes in your location.

^^^^ I have the same as above installed. A normal GE indoor wall outlet inside a Outdoor clear plastic wall outlet box. All my outdoor outlets are on a single GFIC breaker in the main panel no matter if they are z-wave outlets or not.

awesome, thanks guys. so this one should be fine?

That should work. Providing it is mounted in a waterproof enclosure and on a GFCI circuit. Either via a breaker on that circuit or by a GFI outlet just before it that is able to also protect this outlet. You will have to check your local code to be 100% sure it’s allowed in your county.

I haven’t found any outdoors Z-wave outlet - but I created my own, by combining a standard outdoors outlet with a Z-wave microswitch.

can you elaborate on the microswitch? never heard of that solution

Aeon labs and Fibaro make a micro switch that gets installed behind the switch, light fixture, or outlet in the box.
Some limitations… These have low amp support, only 10 amps max I believe. If installed in an outlet, they can only be controlled by the Vera, and you won’t be able to tell by looking at the outlet if it is on or off.

[quote=“shallowearth, post:9, topic:188062”]Aeon labs and Fibaro make a micro switch that gets installed behind the switch, light fixture, or outlet in the box.
Some limitations… These have low amp support, only 10 amps max I believe. If installed in an outlet, they can only be controlled by the Vera, and you won’t be able to tell by looking at the outlet if it is on or off.[/quote]

This is good info^^^^^

Micro switches are rated at half the amps most outlets are. They run inline and hide in the box behind the normal outlet or light switch. They have alot of limitations as were stated. No manual over ride like a normal z-wave outlet, no led indicator telling you if it’s on or off like a normal outlet. Your best bet is to only use them for a light or slimier.