Z-Wave Garage Door Remote Walkthrough

Long time lurker and first time poster. I have been a SchlageLink/MyNexia user for years and finally decided to make the break last week and picked up a Vera3. I should have done this months ago, besides the savings there are so many more options! Thanks to all the helpful tips in this community and the info on YouTube I was able to pull off my first project. I used an Evolve LFM-20 and a Genie garage door opener remote control. I tucked everything into a project box and I have a portable little garage door switch.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vADl3FO0hGk]ZWave Garage Door Remote Control Setup MiCasaVerde - YouTube

I think I am going to start playing with sensors next…soooooo many options…

Thanks!

I like your walkthrough, thanks for posting!

I did something similar a few weeks ago with my garage door only I used a z-wave wall receptacle and a regular relay from radio shack. The configuration you used is definitely simpler than mine (minus the soldering) in that you could have that project box located anywhere. Mine has to be near the garage door opener for it to work because it’s physically wired in. And every time I switch on the relay it throws my physical button (which has a small LCD readout) for a loop. This wouldn’t happen with your set up.

Anyway, thanks for contributing! We need more walkthroughs like this to demonstrate how to do things to which there is no specific z-wave product on the market.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to do a number of these relay to remote projects (garage door, fireplace, ceiling fan, etc) and eventually have a relay “bank” setup somewhere for easy access.

Just curious since I’m about to do the same… but seeing the price of this and seeing the price of the MIMOlite which is made for garage doors, low voltage and has a separate reporting door sensor input. Why do people use relays, appliance modules outdoor modules and the such to mickey something that already exists? I guess there is a cost difference… Maybe 10.00 on the high end?

We also make a relay for around 20 bucks for this purpose.
You really only need an Appliance module and our RM10 to control your garage safely and properly. Or if you have a LFM-20 properly installed into a single gang electrical box, you can run it’s output directly to your garage door opener trigger input.

Safety Tips!!
Very important! Please do not run 110V into a plastic project box. This is extremely unsafe and can cause a fire.
Please make sure all of the current safety equipment is properly installed and working on your door before installing any automation equipment on your door or gate.
We also recommend a door sensor and, or a full motion camera to see the status of your door while operating it.

Everything you need and tutorial videos at our site.

Please ask if you have any more questions.

@Jmar

So your suggesting to use a 40.00 to 45.00 outdoor modal plus your 20.00 relay modal and this still doesn’t provide an input for a door sensor to notify z-wave of its current state?

I have to be missing something if this is a better option then MIMOlite. What’s the deal?

I have been thinking of using the 2gig GDR1 along with a Schlage RS100HC to setup a garage door opener and monitor setup but I cant seem to find the link I swear I found before where the “hack” that is needed to make the 2gig GDR1 is documented. Anyone know of one?

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:6, topic:178142”]@Jmar

So your suggesting to use a 40.00 to 45.00 outdoor modal plus your 20.00 relay modal and this still doesn’t provide an input for a door sensor to notify z-wave of its current state?

I have to be missing something if this is a better option then MIMOlite. What’s the deal?[/quote]

Integlikwhoa, I am going to assume your comment was directed at me.
We make the RM10 for people that may have some components already like a appliance module or a receptacle module or if they have the door or gate already hooked up to a security system. On top of that, some people may need encrypted appliance modules if they have door locks in their system. The Fortrezz unit to my knowledge does not relay encrypted traffic.
At 20 bucks it is a very inexpensive way to quickly control your motorized door or gate with your Home Control unit.
If you want to learn more about door and gate control, here is a link.
http://www.007systems.com/door-and-gate-control1.html

With the Mimo lite which is a great product by the way, at a price point of 60$ it is a complete door or gate unit.

@jmar

Thanks for your input.

I’m still learning the best way to control my door, and altho there is many ways some just seem to be more complicated with multiple devices and such. I figured there has to be a reason why people would take the hard way, I just haven’t figured it out.

Tell me more about the encryption.

MIMOLite is a z-wave device same as a Z-Wave receptacle or outdoor Z-Wave modal. I was under the impression the modals used with your product (or that most people are using with your product) are going to be the same level of encryption as the MIMOlite. For example I have a extra GE Outdoor Modal currently that I could use your device with. (Christmas lights are down now and its sitting idle).

I’m thinking the encryption thing is mute, but I could be wrong.

I guess if I already have a garage door sensor tied in to an alarm system, that's tied to Vera (or a z-wave door sensor) and had an extra Z-wave modal it makes sense to spend 20.00 vs. 60.00 but If I started from scratch and added a zwave sensor to the door, plus an appliance modual of some sort, plus your product I would end up with with probably 100.00 into it and 3 different devices to accomplish the same thing.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:9, topic:178142”]@jmar

Thanks for your input.

I’m still learning the best way to control my door, and altho there is many ways some just seem to be more complicated with multiple devices and such. I figured there has to be a reason why people would take the hard way, I just haven’t figured it out.

Tell me more about the encryption.

MIMOLite is a z-wave device same as a Z-Wave receptacle or outdoor Z-Wave modal. I was under the impression the modals used with your product (or that most people are using with your product) are going to be the same level of encryption as the MIMOlite. For example I have a extra GE Outdoor Modal currently that I could use your device with. (Christmas lights are down now and its sitting idle).

I’m thinking the encryption thing is mute, but I could be wrong.

I guess if I already have a garage door sensor tied in to an alarm system, that's tied to Vera (or a z-wave door sensor) and had an extra Z-wave modal it makes sense to spend 20.00 vs. 60.00 but If I started from scratch and added a zwave sensor to the door, plus an appliance modual of some sort, plus your product I would end up with with probably 100.00 into it and 3 different devices to accomplish the same thing.[/quote]

Most Z-Wave devices use an un encrypted communications. Door lock and other security devices and most of the Evolve branded products use an encrypted communications.
The reasons for encrypting the communications on is that it would be harder for someone other than your controller to control the security devices such as your locks, doors and alarm system in your home.

As with all Z-wave components, they act as a mesh and repeat signals to each other. This is great for a Z-W light switch that is pretty far from the controller as they all will repeat the signals of each other as a mesh and the signals will get back and forth to the Z-w light switch.
But if you only have only one encrypted Z-wave device such as one door lock, and that door lock is pretty far from the controller and you do not have an encrypted repeater such as an Evolve unit or other door lock in between the door lock and the controller the other Z-W components will not be able to repeat the encrypted traffic and their is a good chance the door lock will not work with the controller.

Apparently it is relatively easy for someone to sit outside your home and trip your door lock or garage door from outside your house if the devices are not encrypted. look on Youtube as their are videos of people doing this.
So if you are concerned about security at all and take the extra steps to encrypt your routers Wifi signal, you might want to think of encrypting your garage door and use an Evolve appliance module or other encrypted device.

Bottom line, Using Evolve or other encrypted Z-W devices does increase the range of the encrypted Z-W devices in your home.
But if you do not have any and do not plan on having any Z-W security products in your home, it may not be worth the money as they are slightly more than non encrypted devices.
It is one more layer of security to protect your home and keep bad people from opening your garage door.
So I guess it comes down to how serious are you with your security.