Z-Wave Danfoss Radiator Thermostat, does it controll temperature with vera 3

Hi ,

I have a vera 3 and a “Z-Wave Danfoss Living Connect Radiator Thermostat” i am wondering if the thermostat can controll te heating in my house. Since it won’t show the actual temparture on vera 3, but you can insert a temperature. Let’s say I insert via vera 25 degrees (celsius) , will the thermostat open the valve in the radiator untill it is 25 degrees celsius?

If yes, what happends than , will it completely close the valve untill it is some degrees lower, and go full open again , or will it only close the valve half for example?

Since I read this wiki ([url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Danfoss_Thermostat]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Danfoss_Thermostat[/url]) I am not sure anymore about the thermostat :-s

many thanks,
Cor

The Wiki link refers to a different Danfoss thermostat than the Living Connect. You are correct: the LC does not display the actual temperature on either its own display or on Vera. You can download a setpoint either from the device control panel or via a scene. Once the LC wakes up it will accept the setpoint change and adjust the temperature setting. The LC features PID control so I would expect that it ‘learns’ and so in time incrementally adjusts the radiator rather than cycling it open & closed. However I dont have a LC installed so can’t be sure of this. Hopefully someone with one will clarify this.

@ Frasier: Not sure what a setpoint is. But I understand, the device will work with a vera3 , I insert a temperature on the device via the vera 3 interface and the the thermostat will try to get the room to that temperature.

Many thanks, Cor

Cor,
The setpoint is just the desired temperature you set on Vera that is then downloaded to the Danfoss. The temp shown on the Danfoss is also the setpoint. :slight_smile:

Cor,

Just a pen FYI - there are a number of other posts on this forum that talk about the delay that occurs before the Danfoss Living Connect reacts to a new set point (temperature) request. I have one of them and it’s a frustrating pice of kit. (Do a search and a few will come up)

Sorry to be negative, I just want to be open with you.

@ Frasier: thanks for the info.
@ Parkerc: To be honoust I am not very enthousiastic with the one I have now as well… Very dissapointing that it doesn’t want to display the actual temperature on the Vera interface.
I dismantled the device , since I wanted to convert the thermostate to be able to controll my floorheating, unfortunately , the device does not take the actuall temperature, it measures the temperature difference between the front and the aft sensor(resistance) per time interval and than calculates how much extra heat is needed .
That’s what I heard from someone who is more into thermostates.

But since there is no other option as the danfoss connect… what can I do to controll the temperature in my house…

I am now thinking of getting some of these thermostates and also the everspring temperature sensor, together they should be able to do what I want. The danfoss regulate the temperature and the everspring checking it and show the actual temperature on the vera3 interface.

Cor

[quote=“Cor, post:6, topic:173040”]But since there is no other option as the danfoss connect… what can I do to controll the temperature in my house…

I am now thinking of getting some of these thermostates and also the everspring temperature sensor, together they should be able to do what I want. The danfoss regulate the temperature and the everspring checking it and show the actual temperature on the vera3 interface.[/quote]

That’s your only real option, and to be honest it’s a prefered one (as you can then position the thermometer where you want the room reading to be taken from) - just keep in mind the response delay on the LC.

For me personally, there isn’t a z-wave product set out there yet (TVR or room stat) that can meet the standard I would want to allow it to control my home heating etc. (I wish there was)

I am successfully controlling heating using a “one wire sensor” connected via the one wire server and chris’s plug in as temperature indication (massive advantage, rapid updates and 0.1C resolution).

A couple of the danfoss valves turn rooms on and off at various times and the rest of the control is via an appliance switch controlling the heat pump

Snippets of luua code do t he regulation

It’s worki g well but was a steep learning curve

The danfoss cannot controll anything else via Vera, Vera tells it what temperature to regulate at and it then regulates water to achieve that temperature

Interesting Nick.

I use the RFXrtx433 plug in an use the Oregan Scientific sensors, which also allow the .1 readings (FYI from Cor, zwave devices do not report below a full degree in Vera)

Nick - How do you deal with the delay on the Danfoss Living Connect TRVs? Would you be willing to share in more specific detail on your set up here - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11944.msg86644.html#msg86644

@Cor, I’m not sure how the Danfoss measures temperature and adjusts to it, but it appears to do as good at job at regulating room temperature as normal thermostatic radiator valves do. The only thing is that I need to apply a fixed offset to the temperature setpoint to account for circumstances in the room. In my office, setting the valve to 19 degrees keeps the room at a steady 20. In the bedroom however, the radiator is behind a heavy curtain (not very energy efficient, I know…) and I set the valve to 23 to get the room to 20. Takes a little experimenting to get it right, but once you figure it out, you can simply send the adjusted setpoints to the radiator valves to get the right temperature; there’s no real need to constantly read the actual room temp and adjust the valves accordingly.

@ Intveltr: Thanks , good to know the thermostate does its job connected to vera 3. The reason I also want to know the actuall temperature is that I am always 7 days away from home. And I need to know if the heating in my house is working normally when it freezes outside.

@ Parkerc: strange that not any company came up with a good device, controlling and checking the actuall temperature in a room via Zwave… there must be a big market for it…

@ Nick: that’s going a bit too deep for me :-s …

Thanks for you help guys!

Cor

A separate temperature sensor, Everspring or whatever will achieve that objective if you are just trying to verify temperature achieved rather than control it finely

The Everspring is battery operated and reports temperature back via Z-Wave to Vera where it is accessable and you could write a scene that will e-mail you if it drops below a given number. I found the Everspring too slow and course to control the heating but it is fine for the sort of “long stop” purpose you have in mind.

Nick

Nick

Thanks Nick.

you say , the everspring is too slow , can you not change the wake up time to 60 seconds or so?

What I will do now , is get a everspring in the bathroom , and an on/off switch for the floor heating and make triggers like this:
-15 degrees (celsius): heating on for 1 hour
-20 degrees : heating on for 20 minutes
-22 degrees ; heating on for 10 minutes
-25 degrees : heating off
etc

Will that work , can you make scenes like that based on temeratures from the everspring?

Cheers,
Cor

There are scenes that will look at temperature and respond accordingly, the options built into UI4 (I don’t know about UI5) were cumbersome and didn’t work, I used a snippit of code from the forum and that worked perfectly.

From my point of view I was trying to get the house to a comfortable temperature without overshoot and found I needed less than 1 degree C resolution to achieve this. I am running an air source heat pump and hence the radiator temperature is relatively low (50 to 55C) and the rate of change of house temperature accordingly slow. A 0.3C dead band between cut in and cut out worked best for me in my circumstances and Vera’s handling of the Everspring would not give me that.

It has worked well after a steep learning curve, the house temperature is comfortable and does not ever feel hot or cold and the energy consumption is very reasonable.

I have features such as a day time set back that is controlled by a motion sensor, if people are in and moving around the house is warmer than when empty in the day. Some rooms are day or night only heated, the inside set temperature is dependant on the outside temperature (a comfort improvement) and the heating cuts out when the outside temperature gets to a certain temperature even if the inside temperature has not got to the set point yet.

The last option saves energy on a sunny morning after a cold night, the outside warms up quicker than the inside then but the inside will get there from the sun.

I can’t quantify the savings, too many changes at once, heat source, controls and insulation were all changed at once. I can say that it is a LOT cheaper than I had it before, the price of heating oil was the trigger for these changes.

Nick

@ Nickrwym; For me most important is “damage controll” since I am always a weekaway from I need to know if my heating is functioning normally , when not , I need the electricall heating to kick in to keep the temperatures above freezing.

Last night I was "playing "a bit with the interface on vera 3 but couldn’t find what I was looking for with the everspring temperature sensor.
I opened a thread for it as well : [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12264.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12264.0.html[/url] But it can offcourse be answered here as well since you allready started explaining it :slight_smile:

I couldn’t find the option to say in vera "when the temp"goes below or above, do this (switch on or off). The only thing I can do in scenes or triggers is , a delay based on timing, or do i have to look somewhere elese?

Thanks,
Cor

Hi,

I was also looking in to this and send danfoss an email and got the following reply.

[i]I am glad that you like the design of the product.

Our new electronic radiator thermostats comes many different versions (different adapters, instructions packages ect.)

Overall there are three different kinds
a) Living ECO – a standalone programmable thermostat
b) Living connect – A thermostat which can be controlled be the Danfoss link panel
c) Living connect Z – a thermostat that can be controlled by a z-wave controller

From what I read in your mail you are interested in the living connect Z (which communicates using z-wave and has code nr 014g0012)

This means that you can control it from a z-wave controller
I have attached a user guide to this email – in it you can see the technical requirements the controller need to have in order to properly control the living connect Z.

(I know that the Vera comes in many different versions so be sure to get a version that has support for SUC)
On top of the technical requirements you can of course evaluate the different user interfaces, but as this is a very subjective matter I will stop by saying you should look for a user interface that displays the connect as a Radiator thermostat.

I hope this answers your questions[/i]

I was looking in to this SUC and found that it is set to 0. Would that change any thing (i own a Vera lite)?

Hi Floris

I’m curious that the used he word ‘new’

Can you share more information on what they told you about the ‘living connect z’, can you share the user guide?

Also what does SUC stand for and where did you find information on it.

Many thanks

Hi,

Below the mail i send, not sure if i can upload a doc to this forum?

[i]Hi,

Im looking in to your Danfoss living eco and connect products and have some questions on them before purchase.

Is the Danfoss living connect also programmable like the eco version, without the use of the central control unit?
Is Z wave functionality usable with Vera (Micasaverde)? Or is there going to be an upgrade, as there seem to be some problems with the unit and 3rd party z wave controllers.

I would like to buy the living connect produce so that in the future I can either buy the central control unit or use my Vera z wave central control unit to control the temperature in my house.

By the way you have some great looking products with great functionality (coming from an architect and engineer).[/i]

Hi Floris,

I’m going to start a new thread for this as a new TVR from Danfoss would be very interesting, you should be able to post links and attachments when you have posted more on this forum.

I’ll reference your email in the other post.

Hi,

Ok, other wise PM me and i can e mail you the manual so we can share it to other users as well.