Writing to syslog

Hi @akbooer

Yes, although I thought EventWatcher was just for Vera events ?

Whereas currently my syslog servers is getting events from numerous other places e.g. my AccessPoints, NAS, Broadband Routers etc? - or am I missing something?

There’s a wider range of events being captured…

I’m with Rex on this one… I really don’t think that Vera is the place for this.

Hi

Sorry I misspoke - my interest it’s just on all the other events syslog captures - I agree Vera should not act as the logging server (storage location) itself .

I’m just thinking out loud about how some of my Syslog data could be of use (as triggers) to Vera - especially as it captures things like connections and disconnections from the house wifi access points or when a back up or Virus Scan completes on a NAS, I even think my phone system can log telephone calls etc. (so many devices now have the option to add the IP and port of a syslog server)

Anyway - Based on what Rex said - to use them it looks like they some how would need to be converted into a http call to Vera (which to me suggest creating some sort of middleware). I just wasn’t sure if, as you’ve created something in Vera that could write to a Syslog server, maybe it could read from one too. (Which youve answered already - thanks)

‘Big Data’ for Vera :wink:

@parkerc, I believe I know exactly what you want to do.

We do similar things in my company’s enterprise environment (thousands of servers sending log files). We basically construct rules to launch a program, script or send a message (this could also be an http call) when certain events are logged in the syslog server.

We use many programs and methods, here’s one of the cheaper ones:

Kiwi Syslog Server | SolarWinds Alerting

Thanks for this! I was previously attempting to send the whole Lua log to syslog but I really only need messages from a couple of plugins. I was able to modify Futzle’s Caddx plugin to use this logger and it’s working great! I plan to modify some other plugins as well.

I’m using a Synology for my syslog server, and I believe there are some methods to use the notification feature of the syslog server to send HTTP calls back to Vera.

You’re welcome!

I was previously attempting to send the whole Lua log to syslog but I really only need messages from a couple of plugins. I was able to modify Futzle's Caddx plugin to use this logger and it's working great! I plan to modify some other plugins as well.
Yes, bad plan to send the lot - there's so much rubbish there. Good plan to select what you need.
I'm using a Synology for my syslog server, and I believe there are some methods to use the notification feature of the syslog server to send HTTP calls back to Vera.
I'd be extremely interested to hear of your efforts at notifications. Good luck.

Vera Alerts supports send Notifications to a Syslog Server

Ah, but I think the OP was referring to the other way around…

Vera Alerts does support notifications to Syslog, and I use that, however my need was for the GE Caddx plugin logs so that I could monitor that status of the serial device. I was ineffective at retrieving this status through normal means, specifically looking for errors that the plugin normally sends to the lua log.

I’d be extremely interested to hear of your efforts at notifications. Good luck.[/quote]

It’s definitely possible, at least through the virtual motion sensor plugin as demonstrated by RexBeckett:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=23423.0

Just tinkering this morning I haven’t been able to send the HTTP luup reload call directly from the Synology, but I know I could create a virtual motion sensor and use that to trigger a luup reload.

The puzzle pieces are all there. I have the plugin reporting to syslog, my syslog server able to send notifications based on log filters, and a method to convert the sent notification into a response by Vera.

You can send scripts to Vera to be execute … (i.e. what Rex’s LUA Test harness does)
Just create a LUA script that does:

os.execute( 'reboot' )

Hmm, Synology has failed me. I tried to mimic the surveillance station SMS notification style (trick it into HTTP) with the “Log Center” syslog server to reload luup.

http://veraip/data_request?id=action&DeviceNum=0&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=Reload&OnTime=30&phone=123456&message=Hello%20world

That SMS notification setup will send the proper command and reload luup, but then I discovered the Log Center probably does not send SMS notifications! The help document says it will send an email on keyword but provides no info on sending SMS. At least I will know via email when my serial connection goes down.

Hello

I am newbie in this things. any one can help me configuring my synology and my veraplus, step by step please?

Thanks in advance

Carlos