Wiring question - picture

Hi,

Pulled out one of my existing switches. The replacement switch I am looking at (GE 45606) has 2 black wires and one green one.

I imagine I would tie both black wires from the switch into the wire nut with all the other black wires and attach the green wire to the red one?

Thanks.

Huh?

Two black wires on the switch? Usually it’s a black one and a white one.

Any way, one should go to the black bundle and one should go to the red line (assuming that this isn’t part of a 3-way get up, which it looks like). Is there an other switch that controls the same light also?

[quote=“S-F, post:2, topic:169253”]Huh?

Two black wires on the switch? Usually it’s a black one and a white one.

Any way, one should go to the black bundle and one should go to the red line (assuming that this isn’t part of a 3-way get up, which it looks like). Is there an other switch that controls the same light also?[/quote]

Ya, two black wires see first picture below:

Bit more background on the switch. Our bedroom is wired for light and ceiling fan at the same box. I actually have 3 switches spaced apart vertically (2nd picture). If anyone has any insight into what the middle ‘switch’ could be used for, I’d appreciate it. The builder told me when we moved in, but that was 8 years ago and I don’t remember.

I believe the top switch is to turn the fan on and off.

The bottom one (one pictured above) controls the light in the bedroom. No, there is no light that is controlled by 2 switches.

And, I blieve the the green on the switch is the ground, so I wouldn’t put it to red as I said above, that would go to the ground wire fastened at the back of the box.

OK. Well in that case just connect a black to the black bundle and the other black lead to the red.
And you can control the fan with a regular on/off switch provided that the fan controls are on the fan body itself and not located in the switch.
And you are correct about how to deal with the green wire.

Also, WTF is that red wire sticking out of the wall there? You’ve lived there for 8 years with that wire like that?

^ the red wire is usually tucked into that hole and covered with a plate. Just took it off to show everything. As I said above, no idea what it is for and can’t remember what the builder told me it was for.

My guess for the red would be to control fan speed if your fan supported that. Or could be a traveler wire for a switch across the room?

If I understand what you are saying you have 3 switches vertically on the wall - one to turn the ceiling fan on and off - one to control the lights on the fan and another switch.

For the switch that controls the fan - it needs to be a relay switch on/off from the photos you have a neutral bundle in the box so you are all set or you could install a Leviton VRF01-1LZ Quiet Fan Speed Control which is the only 3 speed fan speed switch currently on the market.

The lights on the fan are controlled from a separate switch - you can utilize the 45606 Dimmer switch for them - 45606 Dimmer is a 2-wire switchand does not require a neutral.

As far as wiring goes do you have a greenlee electric pen or meter - check the wires on the switch - one is always hot(line) and the other is hot only when the switch is turned on(load) - do not change switches out without turning off the breaker that controls the circuit 8)

A red wire are usually a traveller wire but you never know

^ thanks for the info. Yes I will make sure to kill the breaker first.

Just waiting on the vera3 and have to figure out which switches to go with.

I have encountered “confusing” wiring arrangements more often than not myself. It seems to depend on the brand of the switch being installed as well as the type of switch (e.g. “regular”, dimmer, etc.). My brother, who lives in Oregon and is a [advertising redacted] Portland electrician, agrees that things could be a bit more standardized, especially in a world where there is more DIY.

I don’t know if you are still monitoring this thread but looking at the first picture it is a standard single pole switch. The 3 black wires are an incoming line (hot) wire, a feed-through line (hot) to go to the next box in the circuit, and the line feed to the light via the switch. Red is the load (switched hot) which feeds the light from the switch. Red can also be used as a traveler but since this is not a 3-way circuit there is no traveler. Green would be ground.

Connect the black (line) of the new switch to the black bundle. Connect the load wire of the new switch to the red wire, and connect the green ground wire to the ground wire/terminal on the switch.