Which security system is most compatible with Vera Plus?

I have a new home and hard wired all the door and window sensors but have not yet chosen a security system. I’m looking for a system that integrates nicely with the Vera Plus, can support 16 zones (all hard wired, but being able to add a couple of WiFi sensors would be nice to have as well).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There are going to be many opinions here on that question, but the panel many go with is the DSC 1832 which has been around for some 25 years, integrates with all Vera’s very well and is pretty much bullet proof. The Honeywell Vista series looks to be the same unit. The DSC 1832 comes with 8 wired zones so you would need one $30 expansion module to get you out to 16 wired zones. My only caution is the programming of these two systems is notoriously cryptic, and the instructions were written for full time installers, but if you are game on learning it’s a good choice.

what he said…
1832 is a great unit… you’ll need some addon’s… if you want to do wireless and an el3 to hook it to vera.

Excellent, thanks guys. I was leaning towards the 1832 anyway but just needed some reassurance.

If looking at the 1832 I suggest you check out the DSC NEO panel line up. This is what will replace the power series. The wireless has more than twice the range and battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am not sure how well it integrates with Vera but I can find out if needed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gizmo, thanks for the tip. If you have any details on integration with Vera that would be helpful!!

My Elk M1 system works well with Vera.

I’m about to do the same, add a DSC to my Vera. But, when I read what you said above, it made me pause. My understanding was that you get the system, you get an interface to connect the two, you download the app, and you are off and running. Are you saying there is programming that has to be done to get the two to work together or that both the Veras and the alarm systems are each difficult to learn?

I’m about to do the same, add a DSC to my Vera. But, when I read what you said above, it made me pause. My understanding was that you get the system, you get an interface to connect the two, you download the app, and you are off and running. Are you saying there is programming that has to be done to get the two to work together or that both the Veras and the alarm systems are each difficult to learn?[/quote]

you have to configure the alarm system itself. this is the most difficult part.
it’s a big learning curve, but the software helps allot.
I highly suggest you get the DLS software and do it from the PC and not try to do it all at a panel.
this is either a serial connection to the panel, or get a IP250 board (this is an additional separate configuration, not to difficult, requires separate software) so you can configure remotely (not having to have a direct serial connection to the panel) but it is more of a cost to add this module. i use it to send txt msg’s to my phone as well as panel configuration via the software.

then you have the el3 module. to configure, this is pretty easy

then the vera setup/integration, pretty easy as well.

The EVL-3 interface will not directly support the DLS software but the the newer EVL-4 does. I have not yet attempted to use the DLS software to configure an 1832 panel but it does look far easier than doing all the programming via a keypad. That said, to set up one panel I think the DLS software may be overkill. Being a bit of a techie I wanted the use the DLS software too but in the end it was far too cumbersome to get, install and use the software so I elected to learn how to program the 1832 using the keypad. If you choose that route I would suggest that you fill out all the programming worksheets in advance as they will significantly aid in the process.

Agreed. I did all the config on the keypad, and once you get the hang of it - it isn’t completely terrible. I still have to look at the DSC manuals monthly when adding a zone or changing a setting. I still have some reception problems with 433 mhz, and adding a repeater hasn’t quite fixed…

i think the software is great. it keeps my config and i get an instant over view of all settings and options.
it’s a few clicks and press the update button. i don’t have to go to the keypad or fill out work sheets or anything.
personal preference i suppose. i prefer easy :slight_smile:

Believe me … dealing with VERA is an order a magnitude more effort than your DSC.

I set my DSC up … and it just works … and works … and works …

Did I say that it just works reliably ? I can not say that about my Vera!

I don’t think one system is more compatible then another. I have GE Caddx system in more then one house that doesn’t need an expensive adaptor to connect ot vera. Also Honeywell Vista is well known and works just as well as the DSC and GE. I think any of those 3 will all do the same thing and GE requires the cheapest adapter to make the connection from vera to panel (usb).

I would look at all 3 and compare cost of sensors more then anything else. if your going wireless and have 10 windows and 4 doors in the house your sensors will be the most expensive part of the system. Find out which you can source cheaper sensors for.