Which remote for iphone?

I currently have two iphones that are not in use. I have a 2g and 3g models. My current phone is an HTC Evo and using HomeBuddy on the phone. By the way, HomeBuddy is a nice app to control Vera. I would like to use both iphones around the house with Vera. I have used both versions of SQ Remote and iVera and torn on which one to get. So I have created this poll to ask others what they use. If you can explain your decision that would be great.

• Garrett

I use iVera, it was simple to set up and works great. I tried SQ Remote but didn’t have the oomph to stick with the setup.

SQ remote FTW :slight_smile:

Its setup is a bit more demanding but the end result is more rewarding! If you throw AV control into the mix (all my AV is controlled by it) then there is no comparison and its even better with an iPad.

I have problems with iVera after upgrading to Vera2 and UI4 beta1 :(. SQ working without problems after the upgrade. If iVera doesen’t come up with a solution/firmware i will drop it and go for SQ as my only remote.

[quote=“strangely, post:3, topic:166465”]SQ remote FTW :slight_smile:

Its setup is a bit more demanding but the end result is more rewarding! If you throw AV control into the mix (all my AV is controlled by it) then there is no comparison and its even better with an iPad.[/quote]

Strangely, how are you controlling your AV gear? I would love to have an all in one solution. In the process of building a Movie Theatre Room.

• Garrett

Its a bit of a hodge podge combination of serial control, ethernet to serial, USB-UIRT, HDMI-CEC, and another IR blaster.

I have used all three. I like how UI4 scales to the iPhone screen size and it still works with the Smart Phone Plug-In. SQ Remote is really cool for giving you options, if you want control of how and where your buttons are placed then this is your solution. If you want a clean, native version of the Smart Phone Plug-In that populates all of Vera’s devices by room location then iVera is your solution. I like iVera’s camera control, but it is crashing the app in my use. I like how SQ Remote will be able to control all of my IR devices too. Oh, SQ Remote is Landsacpe only and iVera is Portrait only if that makes any difference to you, I use both for different condtions.

I’ve used both iVera (beta) and SQ Remote (free version) and both serve my needs well. While I like the SQ Remote UI, it is more work to configure initially. If price weren’t an issue, I’d choose SQ Remote but, truthfully, simple access thru the Web interface is all I need.

In my opinion. iVera.

JOD

I like iVera but I have all sorts of trouble with it when running on 3G. It works great on my home network but comes up blank most of the time when on 3g. I’ve put in a bug report but we’ll see.

It really needs an update to make it more stable in my opinion.

Hi Mark,

I get the blank screen occasionaly too and have to log out and back in. I have over 70 devices and SQ Remote did not work for me.

JOD.

Ps. I left another response to your logging requests.

I bought sq remote. Just have to figure out how I want to set things up. But so far it is good. Maybe one day I’ll buy ivera. But sq remote had what I need.

• Garrett

I have the same exact problem the interface is easy when it works, but for a $29.99 app it should work without too many major problems. Whats the point if I cant use it away from home!

[quote=“MarkC, post:10, topic:166465”]I like iVera but I have all sorts of trouble with it when running on 3G. It works great on my home network but comes up blank most of the time when on 3g. I’ve put in a bug report but we’ll see.

It really needs an update to make it more stable in my opinion.[/quote]

[quote=“JOD, post:11, topic:166465”]Hi Mark,

I get the blank screen occasionaly too and have to log out and back in. I have over 70 devices and SQ Remote did not work for me.

JOD.

Ps. I left another response to your logging requests.[/quote]

Hi Jod,

I actually did get a response from the iVera support folks and they somehow fixed my issue, it was something to do with MCV using 2 different servers now with UI4 and one of them worked, one of them didn’t. iVera seems to be working great now, I’m hoping that lasts.

Thanks for your response on the logs, I’ll go take a look.

Mark

By the Way, SQ remote now has the new version (2.00) in the app store and its now been reduced to $29 if you want the unlocked features, or free if you can get your hands on the legendary beast known as “The Puck” :slight_smile:

I like SQ, but pricing was a little too much, so I went for iVera. I really like the simplicity of it, no need to configure any of the devices, they just pop up on the screen. Of course, if customization is what you need, then SQ seems to be a better optin, and now with the reduced price, sounds even better.

Pssst… The legendary “puck” scientific name “SQ Blaster” can be seen at the bottom of http://www.squareconnect.com home page. If you purchase a blaster from us, the full SQ Remote features are unlocked for free.

We will be officially starting to take orders and begin shipping at CEDIA in Atlanta at the end of September. if you want one of the first ones, sign up at the link to be put on the list.

This is an interesting poll, but limits the discussion to a one winner approach. I think all of the remote interfaces have their place. When I talk to people who use or have tried our app, SQRemote, I see distinct scenarios… Eg Being centered around energy management and control, security or home theatre, or remote versus in home. Each one tends to want different access and layout options.

Long term we have plans to offer different styles of control access within the same app. Allowing you to easily change metaphors depending on what you need at that moment. For now, our focus is centered around making the home theatre and media control primary, with the support for the other scenarios fitting around this core job. We have been delighted that many of our users have expressed how they use SQ Remote in other very novel ways and are constantly letting us know how they would like it to work differently.

Square Connect is here for the long run, and want to build the best and the most functional interface into your home. Trully to be able to Control Anything, Anywhere.

Ok maybe the above is a bit too “marketing” for this forum.

For those who want to control AV As well as the rest of your home, I don’t think our product can be beaten.

Very interesting. Does that mean that those people (like me) who bought SQ Remote and the full features will get a discount on the Blaster? What will the price be anyway?

Read the last part of my post below and be satisfied that you’re helping them develop cool affordable products that we all need by paying an already great price for this stuff.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4283.msg22792#msg22792

Yes $50 or $29 may sound expensive but people really need to understand how much work goes into an app like this and stop thinking its the type of normal cookie cutter 99 cent app that is available to each every iPhone user. Vera is a Niche product!

Not to decry iVera, but the difference in coding effort and complexity between the two apps is night and day and we are very lucky that we have either of these apps!