What happen if my Vera3 or Veralite controller get broken?

Hi, i’m very new to this home automation world.

I getting a new house, and I want to get a controller and some lighting control for a start. I

But what happen if the controller, say a Vera3 or a Verlite controller get broken?
For example:
would z-wave light switch work?
would a z-wave lock that have a keypad work?

Thanks for your help

Z-Wave switches, locks, and most other Z-Wave devices will continue to work, manually. You can push the switch and the light will come on.

Automations, schedules, notifications, remote control all rely on the controller so if Vera breaks you lose those things.

Regular back ups would allow for you to restore to a new / repaired unit if this was ever to happen and is general good practise given once you get started you will likely have quite a complex set up after some months tweaking your system to how you like it.

Thank you.
Can the vera line work in active/standby so I can have 2 units?

No. There is no active/standby option. What do you want a Beowulf cluster of Veras?

What you can do, if you really wanted to, is maintain a regular backup of your Vera’s configuration, as described by @LightsOn, and a second Vera device. Should the primary Vera fail, you take the second one out of the box, restore the backup to it and you’re running again in 30 minutes or less.

[quote=“amareto, post:4, topic:181170”]Thank you.
Can the vera line work in active/standby so I can have 2 units?[/quote]

If Vera stops working your house functions the same as before you had Vera, Lights locks and everything work just like it did before Vera Manually.

If you are controlling a remote house, then problems are usually not with the Vera but more with the internet not working, power out or something along those lines. I had painters work on a vacation house that blew a breaker (paint sprayer I’m assuming) and Vera was down for remote access. Until I got there and figured out the problem. Also same painters different day they moved the equipment to paint but some how manged to plug it in wrong (to the router) when putting it back. So I again had no connection with the house until I got there.

Anyways I haven’t had a problem with the actual VERA, So I don’t keep a spare or run more then one Vera in the house.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:5, topic:181170”]No. There is no active/standby option. What do you want a Beowulf cluster of Veras?

What you can do, if you really wanted to, is maintain a regular backup of your Vera’s configuration, as described by @LightsOn, and a second Vera device. Should the primary Vera fail, you take the second one out of the box, restore the backup to it and you’re running again in 30 minutes or less.[/quote]

I too am wondering what hes worried about, but I have another house in a different state also with VERA. I can’t be up in 30min at that house. So I’m assuming hes talking about remote.

Be sure to make some local backups too. The backups age off the vera system (20 days?), and are sometimes corrupt. At first, with a few devices and little logic, backup isn’t terribly important. So it’s not something to worry about right away.
The pairing design of zwave devices and controller makes a hot backup impractical. It’s probably best to not run Grannies O2 machine on vera. But while many problems are highlighted on this forum, most vera systems are modest and run untouched for months.

In my old house I had an X10 system that ran so long untouched on that wall wart device that my wife forgot what it was. She threw it away.

I would throw my wife away then

Ahaha

Well, I had put it up in an unused part of the attic so it would be untouched. So it’s not like she went into the office and started throwing electronics in the trash. After the incident I did ask her how she thought the lights were coming on at dusk.

The transparency of my HA efforts were either a notable achievement, or completely unappreciated.

Magic duh!

Thats made me chuckle.

If realy woried have a spate unit and do regular local backups.

All will be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk