What do you use the plugin for apart from the obvious?

Hey guys,

Thought I’d start this thread to share things we use the vera/harmony combo for other than the obvious AV control?

I have an RGB LED strip under my tv unit that I have harmony controlling.

I use the vera to turn it on for 20 seconds when the living room motion sensor is triggered.
I have it trigger a different colour depending on the outside temperature.

Also I have it flash along side a disco light I have for the kids.

What do you guys use it for?

Hi,

My own use is very basic. I use goefencing and when all left the house all AV stuff is turned off. When anyone gets home either the radio or TV gets turned on.

The more complex is using it with a 6 port power switch (GreenWave) as a standby killer. When there are no activities, all devices are switched off. When an activity is started and the device was off, I first turn on the switch(es) and then send the appropriate commands a couple of seconds later. Basically redoing some of the activity commands the Hub would send (did require couple of trial and error runs).

I am still slow in adding usage scenarios. Too much other stuff to play with :smiley:

Cheers Rene

I use it to set light levels to dim in the den when Netflix or my chromecast is initiated after dark.

I mainly just use it to turn off the TV and Amp when leaving the house.

I use a Kwikset 910 Deadbolt. Vera gets instant updates from the lock when the status changes and can differentiate between manually turning the lock or pressing the lock button.

I use the trigger of ‘pressing the lock button from the outside’ as the signal that everyone has left the house and ‘entering a code to unlock the door’ that someone is home.
On leaving I run a script that turns off all lights, fans, and the AV equipment and sets the house mode to Away.
On returning I set the house mode to Home and if it’s dark I turn on a light or two.

It works great for my family. A few times someone accidentally pressed the lock button when someone else was still home but they learned not to do that anymore.

I also have a script on a schedule to turn the system off at times to remind my daughter that it’s time to turn off the TV.