What did you do with Vera today?

@RexBeckett

I think you are right. :slight_smile: Once you get over the entry barrier hurdle (documentation) it is easy.

I’ve just been exploring some ideas I have, mainly things I’d like to see on my system that are missing. I figured I would share my spaghetti coding for others to use/break their system with. :slight_smile:

Well done, @SOlivas, you’ve admitted that you have an addiction. Your friends on this forum are going to help you. Whenever you feel an overwhelming urge to create another plugin, tell us about it. We can intervene and make useful suggestions like: You can do this with scene Lua, Add it as a function in Startup Lua, Why not use PLEG, etc. ;D

Added an NFC tag in near my nightstand to turn off all lights in the house just by touching my Galaxy S4 to the tag… amazingly fast too… within 5 seconds it shuts off all lights…

Items:
NFC Task Launcher
AutHomationHD (Thanks Garrett !!!)
Tasker
Vera of course…

Now looking to do the following NFC Tags.

1. Near garage door (outside) for one touch Garage Door Opening
  2. Near front door for one touch Door unlock (Kwikset lock already there… love it!)
  3. Another tag near or on Night Stand to turn on Master Bath hall light dimmer dimmed to 30% for easier walk to Bathroom in the middle of the night
  4. Tag near Theater room to turn on all equipment (need an IR Blaster on network… )

Anyone do any other automation with Vera and NFC tags??

Mike

Re: What did you do with Vera today?

Installed:

qty1: Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Micro Illuminator DSC27103-ZWUS
qty 2: Fire Alarm Bells 10" 120VAC Alarm Bell from Amazon.com

Wired both 120vac fire alarm bells in-line/behind the Micro Illuminator in the garage. The loud firebells can now be triggered by sensors or scheduled events. Can be used as security or a very loud reminder to take the trash bin to the end of the road on Thursday nights ;D

Hahahah. PLEG, the wonder plugin that works wonders. :slight_smile:

What did I do today? Three things.
(1) installed a Fibaro dimmer on the kitchen ceiling LED downlighters
(2) added Pushover notifications (‘Push Notifications’ app) to Vera and implemented notifications to tell me when certain scenes have completed
(3) OK, mostly off-Vera but I added scenes related to the new lights to PebbleTasker so I can control the ‘new’ kitchen lights from my Pebble watch.

What I did? Not a lot. Or much, depending on your interpretation.

• I got up, hit a switch to turn on the relevant lights.
  • Left the house, hit the “Away” button which turned off all lights and climate stuff, and turned on the cameras
  • Got a ping on my phone that the back door was unlocked… GF came home :slight_smile: All webcams switched off for privacy
  • Returned home, it was already dark but the garden lights were lit.
  • The lawn and greenhouse got irrigated automatically
  • Went to bed, hit the “sleep” button which adjusted climate controls and switched all lights off after a few minutes.

These days I rarely bother with light switches or other micromanagement around the house. Vera takes care of that.

1 Like

Life is good … after all that it’s time for a beer.

I hope the All Control Plugin finds support in the various Android/IOS remote control apps. Then even those faint at heart when it comes it playing with Lua/Luup will be able to hit a button to control multiple lights.

Then everyone can be like @intveltr and leaving the micromanagement of lights to Vera. :slight_smile:

You know you’re in deep with home automation when you refer to hitting a light switch as “micromanagement.” ;D

1 Like

[quote=“Mjolsen, post:63, topic:172785”]Anyone do any other automation with Vera and NFC tags??
Mike[/quote]

Not yet, but I have all the equipment and software you listed. NFC so far has been for phone automation, but after reading this I figure I might do some Vera automation too. Will definitely do the door locks when the wife gets a S4 in the next few weeks…

And today I scheduled my hot water re-circulation pump to come on when an outside door is unlocked. So the hot water is ready by the time the person coming home makes it to the bathroom.

Ive done a few nfc/vera projects check out my chanel

You know you’re in deep with home automation when you refer to hitting a light switch as “micromanagement.” ;D[/quote]

I agree. That got me thinking. Is there another way to make the comment on “micromanagement” seem like you are heavily invested in home automation. That brought me to this:

[hr]

What I would like to see is taking one of these:

Combine it with tasker, and making your house voice controlled without the need to directly access your phone.

Then add in this:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20000816032701/http://www.uk.research.att.com/ab.html
http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20000817072904/http://www.uk.research.att.com/bat/

(As you can see, these point to pages that are no longer available)

It would take a ton of coding, customization, etc.

Then when you say:

These days I rarely bother with light switches or other micromanagement around the house. Vera takes care of that.

It really would mean that you are deep into home automation.

What did I do today?
Added 5 more Window sensors to the existing 3 and two door plus garage door sensor. Mixture of Everspring HSM02 and Vision ZD2102. And of course the obligatory refining and adding to the ever growing PLEG (Thanks Richard) ;D

David

Help the wife thinks i’m an affair with Vera now that i’ve got three of them!!! Apparently I spend more time on her than on the wife. A retired electronic engineer has to have a hobby!!!

Get her involved ,my wife trys to come up with crazy ideas to see if I can integrate them into our system. Also with your background I bet you’d have fun with an arduino or rasberry pi

Sucessfully married my Telephone system with Vera

additional home/away control and unlock via phone

(had nothing to do for 30 min or so)

[quote=“nullx8, post:77, topic:172785”]Sucessfully married my Telephone system with Vera

additional home/away control and unlock via phone

(had nothing to do for 30 min or so)[/quote]

What did you use? The Fritz!Box plugin? Or was it some custom coding?

One of these days, I might start playing around with Asterisk and Vera integration.

Sounds cooler as it is :slight_smile:

I have a small asterisk box for my phones in the house (2 analog lines, 2 voip)

Just made a IVR (voice menu) it askes for a password if from outside.
And executes shell scripts
The scrips make simple curl calls to trigger scenes on the vera.

ain’t Fritz something very “German” ?
Just courious.

Hi, I have just found this post, so I am posting more “yesterdays” than today’s modifications, but I think they could help someone and make brighter ideas to share.

[ul][li]I have all my music in iTunes and several Airport Express speakers before buying Vera, so in order to integrate it with Vera, I am using WWebserver with PHP, Autoit, AirFoil (to control AirPlay via COM) and iTunes in my PC and automated it via Vera Scenes using Luup Code. After that, I installed PLEG and automated them even more, linking with schedules, light switches and more. It works like a Charm. If you have a MAC, you don’t need AirFoil, you can use AppleScripts to control AirPlay. If anyone needs the AutoIt scripts for Airfoil and iTunes, please PM me, I will happily share them.[/li]
[li]Using PLEG and TimerLogic, I have link four dimmers so that when any of those turns on to 100%, it starts a 4 minute ramp untill they get off again, but if I want them to stay on, I have just to change the dimmer level in any of those and all with adjust to that dimming and stay that way until they are manually turned off. I also can break the 4 minutes sequence by turning any of them to off state and will break the sequence and turn all others off.[/li]
[li]With Door/Window sensors and PLEG, I have set triggers so when my wife is asleep and I enter the bedroom, it will turn the light to 10%.[/li]
[li]Using PLEG and my Schlage Lock, at night it will start the previously mentioned light ramp and if the bedroom is empty, it will turn all lights in there and even the TV (sharp with ip). If the room is not empty (closed door means it is not empty as I don’t have any other sensor), then it will only turn lights to 10%.[/li]
[li]Using PLEG and ping sensors, I am pinging my wife’s and my phone to check if we are home, when the two of us are out, PLEG will trigger an All Off Scene that includes iTunes Music, to make sure everything is off. We are now very confortable with this, because we don’t even mind turning music or the exit and stairs lights off, they will turn off at most, 2 minutes after we both left.[/li]
[li]Using PLEG, a trigger that when the kitchen light is turned off, if it is night, and if the stairs lights are off, they will turn on using the 4 minute sequence described before.[/li][/ul]

Hope you find some of this ideas usefull and also hope to see good ideas here!

Regards.