What did you do with Vera today?

I have my First Lighting control working with a GE 45602 Dimming Module that says on the box that it works with Incandescent lights only and not for use with CFL, but after seeing another post that if the CFL bulb says dimmable that it will work and it did. It works with 0% (off), 10%, 20% and 30% (or above is On at 100%). This is a great option for those trying this out a little at a time, I picked up the GE 45602 at Bust Buy for $35.

It took a little while to figure out the scenes but once I did it was easy. I have two triggers that control the light as follows:
Foscam IP Camera 8910W detects Motion: (1) Immediately - Turn On Light (2) 20 minute delay - Turn Light Off
Light On: (1) Immediately - none (2) 20 minute delay - Turn Light Off

The camera is on the baby’s crib so when he moves the light comes on for 20 minutes than turns off which is enough time get to him in the dark to change him and put him back down to sleep. If my wife turns the light on with her iPhone than the second trigger works to turn it back off 20 minutes later incase she forgets. Now that I see it working I think I’m ready to get some more switches to control the rest of the lights my wife and kids leave on ALL THE TIME!!!

Thank you to Micasa Verde for a cheap but effective home control platform and thanks to everyone in the forum that is so helpful that gave me enough confidence to start trying this out a little at a time as my budget allowed me. My end goal is to have everything in the house controllable and automated.

Got my 2nd order of 2 Foscam FI8910W in today. Hooked them up to my main LAN and configured TZ, wifi (Vera’s WiFI) , email etc settings.

Unfortunately I found out Vera also keeps an eye on my main LAN and located both camera’s there. After configuring WiFi on both to connect directly to Vera on it’s dedicated HA LAN and changing the IP accordingly on the 2 cam devices both are now correctly recognized on my HA LAN and accesible , For some reason during the IP Change, 2 new entries for WinTop camera’s where created. Same Vera WiFi IP’s as the Foscam ones.

Attempting to delete those 2 are not possible without also deleting the plugin and all other cams it created. Not really what I want to have happen. Any suggestions on just deleting those 2 orphan cams?

I have to 10ft power cable extensions on order which I hope will not drop teh final voltage too much and intend to mount these outside under the eves as I’ve heard from a number of people theirs have survived several years. Being in Florida freezing temps is not a worry. The eves will also protect them from rain, unless we get a heavy duty tropical storm/hurricane. In which case they’ll be evacuated inside. :slight_smile:

When my wife gets up in the middle of the night, she can have a hard time finding her way back to bed in the dark, so I put a couple of nightlights under the bed–and attached them to an Evolve LDM-15. I then replaced the light switch in the bathroom so I could use it as a trigger (I used a Leviton VRS15-1L). Now when the bathroom light is shut off during nighttime hours, the nightlights will turn on for 60 seconds. Bright enough to light the way back, but dim enough not to wake anybody. A small project that will hopefully prevent any more stubbed toes.

is evolve and leviton products fully compatible with vera ?

Most of your questions you asked can be found searching the forum. Many of them have been asked and answered before. Yes, most if not all of them should be supported.

• Garrett

Just finished this same project this past weekend. Plugged the camera into a z-wave receptacle in the garage so I can reboot the camera if it needs it. I recessed the camera up into the eve a bit and purchased an 8" clear dome from replacementdomes.com. Can’t use the IR now but it definitely won’t get wet.

Now there’s an idea! I have a street light outside and it provides enough light for the camera to see without IR. Not as clear, but enough. Also, there’s a motion light that comes on if someone comes up my drive so again, hat would provide illumination. Thanks for the link to that site, prices do not look that bad. My eves are the older wood ones so not as easy to recess the camera. May have to get a 1/4 20 bolt and mount the camera directly on the bottom of the eves without the mount.

This is crucial, as keeping the relay energized / the button pushed, may override the safety features of the door.[/quote]

I used an altronics 6062 timer relay that activates for 1 second after the trigger is released

There’s been some discussion about the effects of the IR LED’s on babies eyes. As they glow a slight red, babies look at them for periods. Unless you need the IR, I would suggest taping the IR LED’s off just to be on the safe side.

[quote=“Chris H., post:21, topic:172785”]Foscam IP Camera 8910W detects Motion: (1) Immediately - Turn On Light (2) 20 minute delay - Turn Light Off
Light On: (1) Immediately - none (2) 20 minute delay - Turn Light Off

The camera is on the baby’s crib so when he moves the light comes on for 20 minutes than turns off which is enough time get to him in the dark to change him and put him back down to sleep. If my wife turns the light on with her iPhone than the second trigger works to turn it back off 20 minutes later incase she forgets. Now that I see it working I think I’m ready to get some more switches to control the rest of the lights my wife and kids leave on ALL THE TIME!!!

Thank you to Micasa Verde for a cheap but effective home control platform and thanks to everyone in the forum that is so helpful that gave me enough confidence to start trying this out a little at a time as my budget allowed me. My end goal is to have everything in the house controllable and automated.[/quote]

Today (actually yesterday) I started working on a plugin which is supposed to control my lights (actually my dad’s lights) when I am in vacation to make the house look as if somebody was home. It shall do this based on some different parameters, see screenshot…

Nowhere near finished, will take a few more weeks. Any ideas are welcome!

EDIT: Just found this http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11333.0.html Indeed a very interesting approach too!!!

Chixxi, the one thing that seems to be missing from some of the vacation plugins out there is basically an on-off switch to control whether or not you’re actually on vacation (and thus if the lights should be randomly monkeyed with). It’d also be cool to make said on-off switch something that can be used as a trigger, e.g. to kick off a scene to arm door/window sensors.

You probably have this backwards … When your alarm is active you should go to a random lighting pattern to look like you are there.

It will have an enable/disable option which can also be used as a trigger or be triggered from scenes…

Looking forward to this Chixxi,
Just deleted the deus ex vacation plugin since it appears to have a bug and the OP does not to seem to be active in this forum anymore…

I used the new Virtual Clock plug-in to setup my peak/partial-peak scheduling… :slight_smile:

I just finished testing my arduino+dmpxt50+Vera integration and it’s working great. thanks to mic,futzzle and all of the awesome people here It’s up and running and not a moment to soon my wife is already asking to automate the kitchen sink. It shouldn’t be hard with my new setup.

Ruetech, in what ways do you plan to automate it? moisture detection? automatic water shutoff? track water usage?

Off and on via foot switch or motion detector maybe a combination of the two so my kids won’t play with it

Ruetech !
what means: foot switch ?
thanks

I was thinking of putting a magnetic reed switch like a door contact in the cabinet and making something that you activate the sink with your foot like the trash cans you open the lid by stepping on a pedal ill take a pic of the contact when I get to work

Update: this is the contact
http://www.gesecurityproducts.eu/ap/datasheet.php?product=3008-W&loc_code=IR
This the idea
Momentary trigger to toggle sink on and off with a 30 second timer for auto shut off and short range motion at around 5’ to prevent my kids from playing with it