Wayne Dalton with Vera

Installed a WDRR-372 -Wayne Dalton Car2U Receiver and a Keypad and trying to get
both connected to Vera. Don’t know if I’m missing one piece which is
the home gateway or if anyone knows how to get vera to talk to these
devices.

The conversion modules and pinpad do not speak Z-Wave, they are 372Mhz devices. The Wireless Home Gateway is the only piece that is Z-Wave. The Pinpad can control scenes on the gateway or control the conversion module.

The ideal way to get a garage door to work with z-wave (& Vera) is to get the Wayne Dalton Z-wave Garage Door Opener (pretty reasonably priced, actually). Anything else will be a hack, getting various components to try to open/close the garage door.

The gateway does not directly control the garage door, and (to my knowledge) cannot tell the keypad to open it. So, if you want to rig a garage door to be controllable by the z-wave network, you either get the z-wave enabled garage door opener, or rig some combination of the following:
a) a z-wave relay (for z-wave activation of the opener switch open/close state)
b) gateway controller (for pin-pad operation of the z-wave scenes)
c) z-wave door sensor (for monitoring open/closed state of garage door)
d) camera (for visual monitoring of garage/garage door)
e) In-wall scene control switches (for use in programing a scene to activate the garage door with a manual push-button)

If you ask me, by the time I would configure/rig all this kind of stuff, it would be cheaper & easier to just get the Wayne Dalton Garage Door opener. That way, you get;
a) open/close state of the door,
b) presumably info on whether the light sensor triggered an interuption of the operation,
c) Open/close control (obviously),
d) door activation monitoring (and presumably, scenes based on it as a trigger event),
e) more free time vs. configuring some sort of rigged solution.

Plus;
The Z-Wave Garage Door Opener is only about $280… Versus, a door sensor ($35), Gateway ($40), Z-wave Relay (about $50), Pin-pad (about $30, but you might want one anyway), and any other odds and ends (Cost?). So, you’d save only $155 or so, by going with a rigged solution that would be a headache to configure. You could probably sell your existing Garage Door Opener for $25-$50, to recoup some costs. And assuming your time is valuable, it just makes for a better solution.

I am personally going with a Z-wave Door Opener, myself… Not right away, but eventually…

The Z-Wave garage door opener does not allow you to control the door itself via Z-Wave. It basically has the Wireless Home Gateway built in.

Really?!?!

Well there goes THAT idea…

Thanks for letting me know though…

BTW, what does it do??? Will it give you status at least???

and,… Why the heck do they list it as a z-wave device then??? If you as me, that’s deceptive.

Good thing I didn’t buy one. I’m feeling burned (by MCV) already for shipping me the newer model Panosonic ethernet camera without first asking if I’d agree to substitution… The new one typically lists for $40-$60 less. I have no need to feel burned by Wayne Dalton too…

The GDO with Z-Wave is basically a GDO with the Wireless Home Gateway built-in. Before all of the mess with WD being bought and the access control division being seperated, they were working on a new GDO and add-on for existing GDO’s that WOULD allow control via Z-Wave. It was technically agaist UL to automate it until they got their solution through. I have not been able to get a status update from them regarding that at this time however.

The GDO products have to be some of the most misleading devices I have ever seen. I thought it would be great to have this functionality from a remote location. Then I thought as JaseP did and I would just replace my current opener…
Could anyone point to the actual law that is mandating this lack of functionality? Is there an email address at Wayne Dalton that could be filled with requests for this functionality in a version 2 of their GDO products? If a solution is not coming then I plan to go the hard way with a relay, door sensor and maybe a camera. Would any of the other devices be necessary? I just need to be able to answer the question, “Did you close the garage door?” after I have driven out of sight of the house. I am expecting my wife to ask me to start parking outside so I don’t ever open the garage door. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the very simplest solution is a relay wired in place of the GDO button and a door sensor (although I could imagine mounting the sensor could be a … ehem,… female dog).

By the way, the reference from the ASI Home guy (I buy products from them, good place to get z-wave stuff, plus they are in a half-day’s driving distance from me, if I needed to)… UL or Underwriters Laboratories is on of the few private companies that have been certified by OSHA to do product testing…

Other than that, I cannot imaging that UL listing is an absolute requirement to selling a product. I suppose you could sell a product as “experimental” without running afoul of consumer protection regs. I just rarely see anything that plugs in to electrical outlets without an UL stamp of approval…

While it is possible to sell/do things without UL, it is generally not recommended. Most, if not all insurance companies require things be UL listed and meet UL for coverage since it is a nationally recognized standard. If you have modified/tampered with something that makes it fall outside of the UL listing, Homeowners and Liability insurance may no longer cover you in-case of an accident or injury. This leaves the person who modified/tampered with the unit to foot the bill and/or be sued.

Just want you all to be aware of the risks.