Water sensor recommendations / questions

Hey everyone! Happy holidays to all of you as well!

While perusing through the forums, it looks like a lot of you have gone with either the Fortrezz or Everspring ST812 devices for your homes. The former seem far more available - in fact, I can’t seem to find any ST812’s in stock anywhere - and less expensive, but the latter has external sensors that may be more workable to maintain in the long run.

We have just had a small leak in our kitchen, so I was hoping to install sensors in out-of-sight places near the sink to avoid issues in the future (particularly as much of the damage was behind the wall / cabinetry and far too late to be visible to be repaired before the damage was done).

1. Has anyone tried to attach external detectors to a Fortrezz unit? If so, could you recommend / describe parts to use to do this?

2. Re: EverSpring…have they stopped making the ST812 units? Are there alternatives that you’ve used - whether z-wave or, if applicable, similar INSTEON products communicating with Vera via the modem - that have the external sensors?

Thanks, in advance!

I just reveived my st812 sensor last week (europe)

I think if I was going to do this, it would be another excuse to interface an alarm panel with Vera (if I didn’t have one already for other automation tasks.)

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding some of these for a while:

[quote=“strangely, post:3, topic:173684”]I’ve been toying with the idea of adding some of these for a while:

Interesting! The flexibility of the cabling to get the sensors themselves placed in out-of-sight locations while being able to readily change the battery within sight is an appealing option.

Since I’ve managed to iron out my DSC alarm panel issues, this would certainly be a viable option! (I am supposing that I could specify these devices as any type of sensor, e.g. door or motion, on Vera for any type of scripting) Thanks for the tip!

-Mike

they work great, even a wet finger sets them off…

Thanks, again, strangely and Screamhouse for the tips on the DSC angle. Just a quick couple of follow-up questions to see if using these wouldn’t be a good fit…

I have a PC1616 control box, which allows for a max of 2 partitions (both currently used for the 2DS and the existing touch panel). I interpret a need for a wireless receiver, then, which appears to connect to the control box as another partition. So does that mean that I may need a more expansive control box to effectively expand my security system connectivity to include these sensors? Or does the wireless receiver not count as a partition against this “cap”?

This may be ok considering that hooking up a touch panel for the bedroom is something of expressed interest in the past. Anyway, I’m just looking to add up all the equipment that I may particularly need to accommodate these devices in preparation for a “budget request” from my boss! 8)

Thanks!

Hello Mickey,

Just to clarify a few things.

The PC1616 can have:

6 on-board zones
Expandable to 16 hardwired zones
Expandable to 32 wireless zones
2 PGM outputs: expandable to 14 (PC5204, PC5208)
Connect up to 8 supervised keypads with keypad zones
2 partitions

Your keypads do not take up a partition and you can have up to eight keypads (the 2DS represents a keypad), so depending on how you want to expend your system or expected growth, you have multiple options:

Add an additional keypad like the RFK5500 or RFK5501 which both include the wireless module… Or, the separate RF5132-433 module which is wired in to,the panel the same way a keypad is. All thre options would increase your system capability.

There is also an RF5108 which only hasthe capacity for eight additional wireless zones.

Whichever way, the current system with an add on module or a keypad will do the job and there is no need to replace your system. However, some of the deals they have including the wireless might be worth a comparison.

Now that your in the realm of integration with your Vera you may find having the addition wireless zone capability a good thing in the future.

Have a read read for a simple explanation of what an alarm partition is and how or why you would use them.

[quote=“Brientim, post:7, topic:173684”]Hello Mickey,

Just to clarify a few things.

The PC1616 can have:

6 on-board zones
Expandable to 16 hardwired zones
Expandable to 32 wireless zones
2 PGM outputs: expandable to 14 (PC5204, PC5208)
Connect up to 8 supervised keypads with keypad zones
2 partitions

Your keypads do not take up a partition and you can have up to eight keypads (the 2DS represents a keypad), so depending on how you want to expend your system or expected growth, you have multiple options:

Add an additional keypad like the RFK5500 or RFK5501 which both include the wireless module… Or, the separate RF5132-433 module which is wired in to,the panel the same way a keypad is. All thre options would increase your system capability.

There is also an RF5108 which only hasthe capacity for eight additional wireless zones.

Whichever way, the current system with an add on module or a keypad will do the job and there is no need to replace your system. However, some of the deals they have including the wireless might be worth a comparison.

Now that your in the realm of integration with your Vera you may find having the addition wireless zone capability a good thing in the future.

Have a read read for a simple explanation of what an alarm partition is and how or why you would use them.

Great information, Brientim! Thanks for the clarification (and assurance of expansion considerations).

I have a couple of Fortreez sensors under the kitchen cabinet and near the AC condensation drain. Although the Fortreez sensors are small and convenient, the 3.6v batteries are expensive to replace. And if the water does leak badly, the sensors would likely be ruined.

I just received and installed an Everspring ST812 sensor for the hot water heater room. The Everspring ST812 uses three regular AAA batteries and has a 10 foot cable so I can mount the sensor on the floor and keep the transmitter and batteries high and dry.

Seems like the Everspring isn’t available in the US anymore? Bummer, seemed like a great product.

have a look here, they will sell soon waterproof tags as well and they enable you to send HTTP calls to the vera to start scenes.

Dang. They are selling them now. $18 for the tags and $69 for the hub. With the API avaiaible. Pity the moisture tags are sold out already. $18 is pretty cheap for a motion sensor with replaceable battery. Pity teh moisture ones don’t have a replaceable battery but it should last a couple of years.

Gotta find some time to look into this and see how hard it is to interface it with Vera.

[quote=“BOFH, post:12, topic:173684”]Dang. They are selling them now. $18 for the tags and $69 for the hub. With the API avaiaible. Pity the moisture tags are sold out already. $18 is pretty cheap for a motion sensor with replaceable battery. Pity teh moisture ones don’t have a replaceable battery but it should last a couple of years.

Gotta find some time to look into this and see how hard it is to interface it with Vera.[/quote]

there’s a thread on the wireless tags system: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11725.0.html

HomeSeer carries them.

Lowes also seems to carry the Everspring one carries them under their Utilitech brand for use with their Iris system. Price $30.

Are you sure these are Z-Wave based and not Zigbee?

They are zwave. Bought 2 from Lowes and work great

I’ve ordered 2 as well and am awaiting my pickup notice. :slight_smile: Got my $5 for a $20 Lowe’s gift card deal in from Angie’s List in the mail just now to make it even sweeter. 1 is going in teh garage for the washer/waterheater and the other under the sink for the sink and dishwasher.

Linking to this topic on the Lowe’s/Iris unit.

Thanks oti@. I couldn’t find that topic again to do teh same thing.

On that note, Lowe’s 10% (online only) code is 470012####81570 (Change the #### to any 4 digits)