wake on lan problems

Hello all.
I installed the wake on lan plugin. but can not get it to work. I have uplodet my mac address. and may via the plugin turn my computer on. problem is that I can not figure out how to set up in a scene. my desktop plugin does not look like that shown in the help menu. there is an opportunity to directly turn on the computer. and use it for a scene?? Vera 2 ui5 1.5.233

Hello shotgun29,

The screenshots are from version 1.6, which is not published yet. I hope I’ll be able to get the new version out by the end of the day.

ok thanks for that.
So you’re saying is that with the new version it should work?

Any idea if there is an opportunity to get micasaverde to turn off a computer in much the same way as wake on lan just reverse.

It’s not possible without installing some programs on your computer.

what program do you think I should install…
If I can get Vera to turn off the computer. I’ll install 20 programs :slight_smile:

Wake-on-LAN 1.62 it was working for a couple of days but now i cant update my mac address?

What’s the status message?

@shotgun29, I don’t think there is a specific program that @mcvflorin had in mind. There are quite a few different ways to go about this.

What I plan on doing is using EventGhost on my Windows machine to handle shutdowns. Then you just would need to create an event on vera (“shutdown / suspend pc”) that sends a network message to Eventghost and then set up a script in Eventghost to handle the shutdown. Far from the only way to do it. Once I get a chance to do it I’ll post the details on the forum. Just been too busy recently.

I think other people have already tackled this problem with different programs, hopefully someone else will share their method too.

One way that I found that works is to install MCE controller on the PC that you want to shutdown, which can be found here:

http://www.kindel.com/products/mcecontroller/

You then need to create a scene and paste the following into the LUUP box:

local socket = require("socket") host = "IP_address" c = assert(socket.connect(host, 5150)) c:send("shutdown\r") c:close()

Edit IP_address with the IP of your PC, save, and when you run the scene, it should be able to shut the PC down!

Using the above method, its possible to do many other things with MCE controller as it supports about 60+ commands including launching other programs!

It really would be a useful tool for somebody to code a plugin against I think :slight_smile:

Thank you very much

IT WORKED FINE!!!
it is super!

but i still need a help…
I am only able to start an EXE song, which means till now i couldnt play a specific song.
I converted a song to “exe” then Startprocess it, it worked fine. But how can i plan a “mp3” song?

Should be fairly easy to do. Do you need to play multiple audio files, or just one or two? The server has an editable list of keywords that you can customize to do practically anything.

I’ll make an example later and post some instructions for you.

OK so it works, and presuming there’s not too many files you want to play (would take a lot of effort to set up many), here’s what you do:

1. On your PC Note the location of the file you want to play
  2. Go to install directory of MCE controller… on mine its program files\kindel systems\MCE controller (“program files (x86)\kindel systems\MCE controller” if its 64bit windows).
  3. Open MCEControl.commands with a text editor
  4. insert the following example entry for the location of your mp3, and a name that will call it. In my example, its located in the root of C:, the name that will call it from Vera is mp3, and the actual track is Sleep Away.mp3 . You will want to customize this to your own situation. My edit is in last line of code.

[code]

[/code]
  1. Save
  2. Restart MCE controller if its already running
  3. On Vera create a scene and insert the following code that matches what you entered in step 4), along with your own IP address:

local socket = require("socket") host = "10.0.0.8" c = assert(socket.connect(host, 5150)) c:send("mp3\r") c:close()
8 ) Save
9) Celebrate :slight_smile:

Actually i tried this before writing my post up there.
But when i saw ur post i re tried and it WORKED :smiley:
thank you :slight_smile:

[quote=“strangely, post:9, topic:170287”]One way that I found that works is to install MCE controller on the PC that you want to shutdown, which can be found here:

http://www.kindel.com/products/mcecontroller/

You then need to create a scene and paste the following into the LUUP box:

local socket = require("socket") host = "IP_address" c = assert(socket.connect(host, 5150)) c:send("shutdown\r") c:close()

Edit IP_address with the IP of your PC, save, and when you run the scene, it should be able to shut the PC down!

Using the above method, its possible to do many other things with MCE controller as it supports about 60+ commands including launching other programs!

It really would be a useful tool for somebody to code a plugin against I think :)[/quote]

I wonder if you can do a similar thing with the other MCE TCPIP controller called VMCController ?

I currently use VMCController for integration of mControl with Windows Media Center, so I can do stuff like dim lights down when a play a movie in My Movies!

I would prefer not to install another TCPIP controller on the same machine.

Currently looking for a way to send a PsShutdown command to a PC to make it sleep from Vera UI.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11566.msg83167.html#msg83167

Thanks

@cw-kid, I don’t see the ability to run an arbitrary commands using the VMCController program so I don’t think you can get it to call PsShutdown. It doesn’t seem to offer a shutdown command natively either. Unless I’m missing something I don’t think that will work.

I think you will need to install another program. MCEcontroller would work. Personally I use eventghost which also would be pretty easy to get going.

Hi

Thanks for the reply!

How about doing something with AutoHotKey ? I have that installed on all the HTPC’s. Could I not send a keyboard command (Ctrl+Alt+1 or something) from Vera to autohotkey on the PC and then autohotkey runs the PsShutdown command.

@cw-kid, how exactly would you send the keys from Vera to your computer? VMCController can send some keys to MCE, but it doesn’t look like it supports modifiers (CTRL, ALT, etc). Without some program running on your computer it isn’t really possible to send keys codes from Vera.

EDIT: You could add the shutdown command to VMCController. It looks like it is open source and written in C#. It shouldn’t be that bad if you know the language, or maybe make a feature request to the devs.

Yeah that’s what I kinda figured.

It would be nice to have a shutdown or sleep button in Vera but I guess its more important to be able to wake the PC’s which I can now do from Vera, and the PC’s will auto fall back to sleep anyways after the 20min time out in Control Panel. Not sure I want to install the Kindel TCP Controller or start messing with Eventghost just for this.

Thanks

I wouldn’t know where to start to do that myself, the original devs are no longer active on the VMCController project. There was one guy who created a new Fork and we did previously briefly discuss the possibility of extending the functionality to launch 3rd party Windows Media Center add-ins and to add shutdown / sleep commands etc, but nothing came of it.

As my home automation software mControl uses VMCController and not the MCE Controller (From Kindel) I’d rather stick with VMCController if I can.

Thanks

EDIT: I do actually think Kindel MCE Controller is the better of the two TCP Controllers for MCE, as with the Kindel MCE Controller you can edit the command file and add in your own new commands for launching 3rd party MCE add-ins and as you said probably add commands for shutdown as well. I’ve edited the command file to add 3rd party add-ins before on someone else’s system where we integrated MCE with Crestron on iPads, so the Creston programmer could add a button for launching My Movies rather than the native MCE Movie library.

But as the mControl WMC Driver only uses VMCController I’m kinda tied in to using VMCController. I guess I could have both TCP Controllers installed on the one PC but not ideal. I just wish VMCController was as easy to modify as MCE Controller is!