Virtual UI Plugin

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:20, topic:179005”]I quit working on this earlier this year when MCV indicated that they had new Vera’s coming out later in the year.
I (wrongly) assumed they would solve the memory issue and this would not be needed …
I will look into again after the first of the year.[/quote]

I would LOVE if this plugin gets created…If its a matter of needing beers, RTS, just let me know how many beers you need to get motivated :smiley:

+1 on the beer front.

Should be a paid licensed solution from the outside, just like the excellent PLEG

+1 looks like a good Idea

+1 please!

A case of Lone Star if you like :slight_smile:

I think what we are all trying to say Richard, is just doooo it. I have absolutely no problem with giving you my money, we all know you’ll create a quality product. Unlike a company we all know ::slight_smile:

Do I detect a tinge of insincerity :o

Do I detect a tinge of insincerity :o[/quote]

Towards Richard? Absolutely not. I have full faith in him as a developer, I thought that was made perfectly clear.

As to the company MCV we all know…

Do I detect a tinge of insincerity :o[/quote]

Towards Richard? Absolutely not. I have full faith in him as a developer, I thought that was made perfectly clear.

As to the company MCV we all know…[/quote]

I didn’t suspect it was aimed at Richard :o

Everyone who has a Vera and is unhappy with MCV will buy into this.

I hope it will be compatible with the new Zwave Chipset, this might be why MCV are having so many problems ATM.

Ah, what the heck, I’ll put up a couple of beers without even thinking about it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:1, topic:179005”]Folks,
I am contemplating a new Plugin … This is motivated by the memory utilization used by Virtual Device plugins. They each require their own LUA context and 2 stacks for threads. That’s quite a bit of memory.

This would just be a controller Device that would allow you to create any number of:
a) Virtual Switches
b) Virtual Dimmers
c) Virtual Thermostats
d) Maybe Rex will let me create Virtual Multi-Switches.

You can then easily use any of these devices in your Automation Logic (i.e. interfaced with PLEG).
Since they look like existing device types they should work with all of the 3rd party apps.
Instead of large amounts of memory for each device … their is only a large chunk of memory allocated to the “Virtual Device” plugin.
All of the instances would be lightweight. It would be trivial to add more virtual device classes.

I am concerned about rumors that UI6 is more memory hungry than UI5.[/quote]

Richard, what ever became log this idea?

I put it on hold when I heard Vera was coming out with new devices … I ASSuMEd that they would increase the memory and that this would not be needed.

But judging by the number of people with Vera Lites that are having problems … maybe I will pick this up again … I think that Vera 3 users are OK …
I have not done a careful comparison of memory on Vera 3 (UI5) vs Vera Edge (UI7) … but I think UI7 uses more memory than UI5 … so it may even be useful for Vera 3 and Vera Edge users.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:32, topic:179005”]I put it on hold when I heard Vera was coming out with new devices … I ASSuMEd that they would increase the memory and that this would not be needed.

But judging by the number of people with Vera Lites that are having problems … maybe I will pick this up again … I think that Vera 3 users are OK …
I have not done a careful comparison of memory on Vera 3 (UI5) vs Vera Edge (UI7) … but I think UI7 uses more memory than UI5 … so it may even be useful for Vera 3 and Vera Edge users.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. The whole memory thing with Vera is very confusing. The two Vera 3 units I use have plenty of available memory (generally 50+MB always available) but my LuaUPnP is ALWAYS either right below 100%, my ZWave Vera or ALWAYS above 100%, my DSC/BLUE IRIS Vera. And I often have a half dozen restarts a day. So I don’t see how PHYSICAL memory is a problem, it appears to me to be memory usage/allocation in LuaUPnP is the problem. I don’t understand why LuaUPnP doesn’t simply request more real memory to work in

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:32, topic:179005”]I put it on hold when I heard Vera was coming out with new devices … I ASSuMEd that they would increase the memory and that this would not be needed.

I have not done a careful comparison of memory on Vera 3 (UI5) vs Vera Edge (UI7) … but I think UI7 uses more memory than UI5 … so it may even be useful for Vera 3 and Vera Edge users.[/quote]

How can I check the memory in hte Vera 3?

[quote=“TwannieM, post:34, topic:179005”][quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:32, topic:179005”]I put it on hold when I heard Vera was coming out with new devices … I ASSuMEd that they would increase the memory and that this would not be needed.

Hi

Suggest you use the “System Monitor” plugin. It is available for free on the “Apps” tab.

Don

How can I check the memory in hte Vera 3?[/quote]

Deleted

Hi

I think it is free.

Don