Virtual Panel Plugin

I’m experiencing the same thing… VPanels used to work prior to the last Vera firmware upgrade.

Just my luck to try the plugin for the first time and a firmware update has broken it. The firmware version on my Vera Edge is 1.7.4000 this is the unit I installed Panel Manager on.

On my Vera Plus the firmware version is 1.7.4001 but I’ve not tried the Panel Manager plugin on that unit.

I’ll upgrade one of my units to the most recent fw and see what happens. Like playing whak-a-mole.

I’ll have a fix for this in a few minutes.

Version 2.1 has been released. This is primarily a maintenance release due to changes with fw 7.0.27+.

NOTE: If you upgrade your firmware and are not using v2.1 and above you will no longer be able to configure or edit your panels.

To install this update follow the instructions below. Do not uninstall the plugin

[ol][li]Download the VirtualPanel v2.1.zip file from the first post on this thread. [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31128.msg223995.html#msg223995]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31128.msg223995.html#msg223995[/url][/li]
[li]Unzip all the files into a directory on your computer[/li]
[li]Go to Apps → Develop Apps → Luup files on your Vera[/li]
[li]Drag all the files from the zip file onto the Drag & drop files panel on your Vera.[/li]
[li]After the files have been uploaded to your Vera click on the Serial Port configuration menu and press Reload Luup[/li]
[li]Refresh your browser[/li][/ol]

Thanks its working in UI7 now.

Will have a play around with it see what’s possible?

I take it its not possible to embed a panel you have created into another device as a webpage?

For example in ALTUI you can create custom pages and there is a URL that only loads that page or panel.

I can then embed that in to other things like the Imperihome app for example.

I was thinking for building remote control panels using the Harmony plugin and adding buttons to the panel etc.

Problem with ALTUI is the custom page editor isn’t great so the resulting layouts aren’t either.

Natively Imperihome doesn’t support adding Harmony device buttons, only Harmony Activities.

Unfortunately not. The goal was to integrate into the Vera dashboard without completely overriding the UI7 interface. However, it does work really well as a web app on a mobile device. You can create single panels that make sense for multiple controls. This reduces the frenetic scrolling when you have a ton of devices like I do.

Yeah I can see Panel Manager being useful if you use the UI7 web GUI a lot.

If its not possible to just view a panel as a separate webpage, then my idea for using it with Imperihome app as an embedded page won’t work.

But whilst briefly playing about with creating a button, I noticed that the Action field doesn’t seem to have a drop down menu for you to select an action from?

Seems you have to manually look up else where in the UI7 GUI, what the possible actions are for that particular Service ID ?

I just tried to add a button from the Harmony plugin as in the screen shot, but it doesn’t work when I press the button.

In the Action field I manually added “SendDeviceCommand” which I know is the correct action.

Button I am not sure about the Action Parameters.

In AltUI the action for a Harmony device command button, looks like the attached screen shot. For the GUIDE button on my TV etc.

Think I need to add some more virtual devices on to my Vera Edge test box, so I have more types of devices to test Panel Manager with.

I don’t use AltUI or Harmony, but I would guess based upon what is showing there the parameter name should be “Command” with a value of “Guide” and another parameter named “Duration” perhaps a value of 1. As for the Button Label and Glyph that probably belongs to AltUI not the device.

Unfortunately, the upnp files rarely contain all the info required to get the available actions on the device and JSON only contain those exposed by the UI. Perhaps rene managed to get them all in there but I gave up after getting poor to midland results.

Seems the same with a Binary Light device I just added.

I would have expected when clicking in to the Actions field, it would give a drop down menu for you to choose an action from.

Likewise with the Action Parameters Name field.

So you must know yourself what needs to be put in to these fields.

In this case for a light it would be:

Action = SetTarget
Name = newTargetValue
Value = 1 or 0

For the test Harmony button, putting “Command” in to the Name field, it works now OK and sends the command to the Harmony hub / TV to bring up the Guide on the screen.

So I guess it just a case of knowing what you need to put in to these fields to get things working.

Thanks

Yeah at the time this was all developed the upnp stuff was really flakey so I didn’t pursue it any further. It looks like amg0 managed to get something to work but I wonder if he just took the services that were pretty constant like Dimming and BinaryLight and let the installed plugins define a list.

It would certainly make the Panel Manager plugin easier to use if those fields did have drop down menus.

In the AltUI when creating the same button for “Guide” when I click in to the Action field it shows a drop down menu with the possible actions “SendDeviceCommand” being one of them as you can see in the screen shot.

The Command field for the Harmony device didn’t have a drop down box and I had to know the correct name of the command e.g. “Guide”.

PLEG seems to do the same thing as well and gives you drop down menus to choose items from making it easier.

Hi!
I’m migrating from VeraLite to VeraPlus… anyone can help me understand how can I migrate the panels I created to the new device? Is it possible?
Thank you!

Hi, Can someone please advise how to display ‘switches’ etc next to the icon. I have exhausted my searching… I am obviously not understanding something?
Thanks Bushy

Sorry Bushy I missed your post. Anyhow you cannot display switches next to the icon. MCV saw to that with a fw change a couple of years ago. App developers can only place controls in the space below the icon. The space directly to the left is reserved for hardcoded controls.

I feel like I am always asking dumb questions, but…

How can I get this plugin? I found a link, but it just opens the original announcement thread, and I could not find anything there about installing it.

Didn’t find anything in the Vera Apps, except “Virtual Alarm Panel” - is it the same thing?

It looks like the attachments didn’t come over when Vera converted to the new forum. Here it is.
VirtualPanel v2.1.zip (59.8 KB)

Thanks! So maybe I’m not as dumb as I thought…

Well, spoke too soon - dumb question #2: now that I have the files, what do I do with them? Can’t find the post that has those instructions.

To install the plugin:

1. Unzip all the files to a directory on your computer.
  2. In the Vera interface go to Apps–>Develop Apps → Luup Files
  3. Drag all the files from the zip file onot the Drag & drop files panel
  4. After the files have been uploaded
  5. In that same Apps–>Develop Apps location select Create Device
  6. In the Create Device screen enter the following information into the fields copy these exactly without spaces and the same capitalization:
    Description: Panel Manager
    Upnp Device FileName: D_VirtualPanel.xml
  7. Click Create Device

After you have created the device you must restart the luup engine then refresh your browser but give Vera a minute to do it herself. It’s always been 50/50 as to whether she gets it done so after 60 seconds go to the Advanced tab on any device on your Vera. Under the New Service tab you will see a Reload Engine button use that if Vera doesn’t reload the engine.

Once you have refreshed your browser (Ctrl+F5), a new Device will appear named Panel Manager. From there follow the examples on the second post as these are still around in the old forum site.
https://community.getvera.com/t/virtual-panel-plugin/186313/2?u=rstrouse

Thanks for your help!

The Panel Manager device appeared all by itself.