/dev/mtdblock6 8.6M 8.4M 196.0K 98% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 8.6M 8.4M 196.0K 98% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock10 50.0M 1.5M 48.5M 3% /storage
/dev/mtdblock10 50.0M 1.5M 48.5M 3% /etc/cmh-firmware
/dev/mtdblock10 50.0M 1.5M 48.5M 3% /etc/cmh-backup
/dev/mtdblock9 10.0M 10.0M 0 100% /mios
df: /nas: Value too large for defined data type

So I am trying to figure out how I can increase free space since I am not able to get AltUI installed. Anyone have any tips on which folders might have something that I can deal with?

Hi,

Check what is in the /overlay partition. Do you have the Ergy energy thing enabled? That will fill up your Vera. If you have no real need for it, disable it. You should be able to find an article in the forum on what file to delete.

If you are not using that, you have to look what has eaten all space.

Cheers Rene

Probably open a ticket with Vera. I had this issue with ERGY and they cleared it up for me. Their support is pretty good actually.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hello there Johnes,

Please see my signature for details. Definitely, log a ticket with us and our customer care team will have a look at it.

Hi Sorin,

I’ve have had multiple experiences where my Vera units run out of space during upgrades. Any chance there is a sticky, guide or dedicated thread on here for those of us that have ssh, winscp access to our units on what extra files could be cleared out in this type of situation? It would be great to be able to proactively clear out any unnecessary files especially prior to an upgrade.

Eg: from my recent case: Vera support helped me to get some free space as I tried to upgrade and my unit went into a loop where it kept restarting. I couldn’t get tech support enabled so we had to do a sharing session so he could use ssh.

Their initial instructions were to do the following from Apps > Develop Apps > Test Luup code

1. os.execute(“rm /etc/cmh-firmware/mios*”)
  2. os.execute(“rm -rf /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy_cache_paired_devices.conf”)
  3. os.execute(“reboot”)
  4. downgrade to the previous firmware (they can provide the specific link for your unit) and restore a backup

This however didn’t work as these files were not the problem on my unit and I couldn’t get enough space to stop the restart loop. Also note I couldn’t even enable tech support in the web front end due to the lack of space and restarts.

The tech then tried to delete some data via ssh but the files still wouldn’t delete.
-in /etc/cmh-zwfw folder all the .hex files which were non US eg not the ones “…_us.hex”

The last step which did work was using winscp to do the deletes. After that the df command showed some free space.
-in /etc/cmh-zwfw folder all the .hex files which were non US eg not the ones “…_us.hex”

Once this was done he was able to enable tech support and work on the unit. My understadning was he deleted the data in the apps folder to clear space
-the data in the /etc/cmh-ludl folder which holds the apps

Once that was done he had enough space and downgraded my unit back to the previous firmware.
Once the downgrade was complete a restore of my previous backup was performed to bring everything back to the state it was prior to the upgrade.

I am really surprised there is not more info around regarding this as it would reduce the number of calls the vera tech support team gets. As well it seems like part of the upgrade steps by the vera unit should be checking for enough space for the upgrade, if there is not the upgrade should not start and should inform the user to contact tech support.

If there was a dedicated thread started for vera disk space maintenance I would be happy to post any new info I find.

One other thing I noticed he tried was running this directly from the browser to enable tech support when we couldn’t get it enabled via the Vera web UI.
http://<Your .Vera.IP>/cgi-bin/cmh/tech_ra.sh

Thank you,
Jeff

I had the same issue, there is a thread open on the topic in the upgrades forum.

Anyway, the issue with enabling tech support is another nasty one as when you do the upgrade and run out of space like this you cant enable tech support, possibly because of luup reloads in the background. You really need to get this fixed before you do an upgrade or its a real pain to clean out.

Hopefully there can be some good guidance on what to do about this as when I had tech support last help with this they fixed it and it came right back after the next upgrade. Basically, they are going to have to manually upgrade me everytime until we figure this out.

bk

I read someplace if you fidel around to much with ssh, support dont help you. I wish for some script to free space or monitor it.

Skickat fr?n min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

I agree people shouldn’t be “fiddling around”. But this is a very well known problem that many are facing often when they are trying to upgrade. Their really needs to be some script built into the installation package for upgrades that clears out extraneous data to hopefully create enough free space for the upgrade to install and if there isn’t the upgrade should not proceed. In the interm (for those of us who have had this ongoing issue and are familiar with ssh, winscp), it would be nice to be able to preemptively prepare for the updates so this doesn’t occur and leave us with a downed controller until we can get assistance from Vera support.

Jeff

Install the ALTUI plug-in. Go to “Misc-----> OSCommand” — you can run any UNIX command that you want. ALTUI already has frequently used commands built in, and “Free Space” is one of them. No need to SSH into Vera.

Its useful that AltUI has the df -h command right there for people so at least they can check and see how much free space they have but it still doesn’t help clear up space. We need some guidance from either Vera on what can generally be deleted or from users who have gone through the problem so we can put together a list of extra files taking up space unnecessarily.

Jeff

[quote=“jcolter, post:5, topic:198245”]Their initial instructions were to do the following from Apps > Develop Apps > Test Luup code

1. os.execute(“rm /etc/cmh-firmware/mios*”)
  2. os.execute(“rm -rf /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy_cache_paired_devices.conf”)
  3. os.execute(“reboot”)
  4. downgrade to the previous firmware (they can provide the specific link for your unit) and restore a backup[/quote]

Thanks @Jeff… Vera ran out of space during firmware update and was no longer available from the internet (only locally).
Used Steps 1 to 3 to clean up space, firmware update then went through and Vera was working fine again :slight_smile:

[quote=“jcolter”]I agree people shouldn’t be “fiddling around”. But this is a very well known problem that many are facing often when they are trying to upgrade. Their really needs to be some script built into the installation package for upgrades that clears out extraneous data to hopefully create enough free space for the upgrade to install and if there isn’t the upgrade should not proceed. In the interm (for those of us who have had this ongoing issue and are familiar with ssh, winscp), it would be nice to be able to preemptively prepare for the updates so this doesn’t occur and leave us with a downed controller until we can get assistance from Vera support.

Jeff[/quote]I agree. I have a Usb stick in my Vera and some of the filesystem are there. It should be possible to use more of that space.
Stefan

Skickat fr?n min SM-N950F via Tapatalk