Veraplus Compatible Zigbee Devices ***Let's Get This List Going***

@ChrisK - It doesn’t work that way with Zigbee, no matter how much you may like it it. As Marc said

@Z-Waver, thanks, but I still don’t understand what the point of having a standard is if every device is unique. I am not trying to be difficult and want something that cannot be, I just want to understand it.

On the Vera Plus, there is an option to pair a generic ZigBee device. I don’t know what it could be used for if only specified devices can be paired. I would think a contact sensor, dimmer or an appliance on/off module would be generic devices and they should work.

I paired my Iris Contact Sensor once. On the Vera Plus it recognized it as a CentraLite 3320-L. It did take several tries to pair it, but it worked for days when it finally did. Then it showed up as device not detected. Now I have not been able to pair it again. It suggests to me that is a Vera Plus issue. Maybe new code can resolve this, I don’t know.

So, is Vera Plus with its current version of UI7 fully compliant with HA 1.2, or is it a work in progress?

You do understand it. Zigbee is just a crappy standard that was not very well thought out in terms of device capability and communication definition.

That’s the end of it. Good protocol, poorly defined standard which led to ‘custom’ device definitions and now have to be added and tested one at a time.

We don’t have to like it, but we do have to accept it because it is reality.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

@JasonJoel, thank you for your reply. What a disappointment. ZigBee is the main reason I bought the Vera Plus. I have spent a lot of time today reading about ZigBee. So much potential… It is a shame. I wish I knew this before I bought the Plus. Aaron was right.

Chris, all things have their place. Zigbee is working towards the kind of inter-compatibility that Z-Wave is know for.

We will continue to add more devices as time goes on. Some devices may work when added via the Generic Device wizard. If you don’t want to risk it stick, to the devices on the compatibility list.

I ask Micasaverde about interfacing to electric meters with the VeraPlus. Their answer show just how screwed Zigbee is. If it was properly done not of this would matter.

Our platform has a Zigbee Ha 1.2 integration but not an SEP integration at this time. Our experience is that, in fact, the smart meter manufacturers have used various "proprietary" variants of the SEP profile and there is not a common interoperability. If there is a large scale opportunity, we could surely work with a particular utility and smart meter to do the integration development.

I can’t find the email but one other thing they said was that you can’t run HA 1.2 and SEP on the same Zigbee radio so two different radios would be required.

Zigbee is such a MESS!!!

Guess I’ll have to get a Rainforest gateway.

[quote=“Marc Shenker, post:65, topic:191115”]Chris, all things have their place. Zigbee is working towards the kind of inter-compatibility that Z-Wave is know for.

We will continue to add more devices as time goes on. Some devices may work when added via the Generic Device wizard. If you don’t want to risk it stick, to the devices on the compatibility list.[/quote]
Thanks Marc. I think I bought my ZigBee device before the current compatibility list was published. My bad to assume things would work like that. I don’t imagine you can tell us what kind of time frame before an update comes out that can expand the list?

I am not giving up on Vera yet, but in the past half hour I have installed a SmartThings hub. I need to know how ZigBee is supposed to work. Set up was very easy. My Iris Contact Sensor paired in no time. The temperature and battery condition are there. Easy peazy. Cool! I cannot wait to get some Cree ZigBee light bulbs.

We are continuing to evaluate and ZigBee devices. We are evaluating what devices users are asking for and it is not lost on us the benefit of being able to go to a store like Lowes or Home Depot and being able to walk in and buy it.

Thanks Marc - Is there something that we can do to help - harvest what these devices report out as or with testing to help you accelerate? In my case with the Keen Smartvents, the support team was able to get one device working, but when I asked how I add the remaining 6 smart vents I have, I was told they weren’t compatible and would be put on the list for future support.

Maybe all we can do as a community would be to help vote for priority via a crowdsourced list and be early adopters as alpha & beta support becomes available. Let us know how we can be a force multiplier for you.

Dave M.

[quote=“Dav3m, post:70, topic:191115”]Thanks Marc - Is there something that we can do to help - harvest what these devices report out as or with testing to help you accelerate? In my case with the Keen Smartvents, the support team was able to get one device working, but when I asked how I add the remaining 6 smart vents I have, I was told they weren’t compatible and would be put on the list for future support.

Maybe all we can do as a community would be to help vote for priority via a crowdsourced list and be early adopters as alpha & beta support becomes available. Let us know how we can be a force multiplier for you.

Dave M.[/quote]

Dave, that is an interesting idea. I’ll bring it up in our team meeting tomorrow. The other thing you could do is put pressure on the manufacturer that you want to integrated on to the platform that Vera should be a priority to them, that will allow for a better dialogue between us. Integration of devices works best when we work closely together.

I second Dave’s suggestion. I would like these contact sensors to work as well. Especially since they’re $11 each.

Dan

[quote=“br636, post:40, topic:191115”][quote=“Aaron, post:34, topic:191115”][quote=“br636, post:29, topic:191115”]Has anyone got the Commercial Electric Zigbee downlight to work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-5-and-6-in-Smart-LED-Recessed-Downlight-53166161/206029900[/quote]

Is this light works 100% with Vera Plus I would buy a Vera Plus… I have $1000 worth of these lights in my house running on Wink - would love to kick Wink to the curb.[/quote]

I have 13, 6 on one switch and 7 on another but I have not been able to get them to work yet.I did ditch Wink and put these on a Caseta dimmer but I would love to be able to control them individually again.[/quote]

Any further progress update on these? Just curious. Thanks

Me too!

[quote=“Wekurtz74, post:73, topic:191115”][quote=“br636, post:40, topic:191115”][quote=“Aaron, post:34, topic:191115”][quote=“br636, post:29, topic:191115”]Has anyone got the Commercial Electric Zigbee downlight to work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-5-and-6-in-Smart-LED-Recessed-Downlight-53166161/206029900[/quote]

Is this light works 100% with Vera Plus I would buy a Vera Plus… I have $1000 worth of these lights in my house running on Wink - would love to kick Wink to the curb.[/quote]

I have 13, 6 on one switch and 7 on another but I have not been able to get them to work yet.I did ditch Wink and put these on a Caseta dimmer but I would love to be able to control them individually again.[/quote]

Any further progress update on these? Just curious. Thanks[/quote]

I was never able to get mine to work. I did receive feedback that they would look into adding them but there have been no updates since.

[quote=“Marc Shenker”][quote=“Dav3m, post:70, topic:191115”]Thanks Marc - Is there something that we can do to help - harvest what these devices report out as or with testing to help you accelerate? In my case with the Keen Smartvents, the support team was able to get one device working, but when I asked how I add the remaining 6 smart vents I have, I was told they weren’t compatible and would be put on the list for future support.

Dave M.[/quote]

Dave, that is an interesting idea. I’ll bring it up in our team meeting tomorrow. The other thing you could do is put pressure on the manufacturer that you want to integrated on to the platform that Vera should be a priority to them, that will allow for a better dialogue between us. Integration of devices works best when we work closely together.[/quote]
Would be nice to see a compatibility road map… So we know what is being worked on. I suspect some people are waiting for specific devices to work with V+ before we consider purchasing.
With the rash of users being vocal about moving to other platforms of hope you would want to try to stop losing some of the best supporters

I am on the fence on how much more time I will wait for Vera to get their act together. My Vera Lite controls my Z-Wave devices, while my Plus has a couple of devices in test mode.

Not wanting to wait forever, I started looking at the competition, I tried out a Wink hub. It was disappointing, and I returned it. I wouldn?t rule them out in the future, but for now they have more work to do.

I also purchased a SmartThings hub. It has its issues, but there are some things that I really like about it. They sell an Arduino shield with a ZigBee radio. I picked up one of these things for $35. It is really cool! If you are into Arduinos like I am, there are so many possibilities! I have also connected an XBee to the SmartThings hub. It doesn?t do anything yet, but it proved to me that I could do it.

My main complaint about SmartThings is their dependency on the Cloud. However, with a bit of work you can do thing locally. Then again, my Plus also has some cloud dependencies. So here I am, do I spend my efforts on the SmartThing where I have a lot of work to do, or wait for Vera? I am really losing my patience with Vera.

[quote=“br636”][quote=“Wekurtz74, post:73, topic:191115”][quote=“br636, post:40, topic:191115”][quote=“Aaron, post:34, topic:191115”][quote=“br636, post:29, topic:191115”]Has anyone got the Commercial Electric Zigbee downlight to work?

Any further progress update on these? Just curious. Thanks[/quote]

I was never able to get mine to work. I did receive feedback that they would look into adding them but there have been no updates since.[/quote]
I skipped the commercial electric device and tried the GE link Br30 zigbee bulb. It performs like the other GE link bulbs. In case anyone had concerns about it being recognized. I only have purchased one since it is for s special purpose location.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Has anyone with GE Link bulbs had any issues with them being unpaired with the VeraPlus? I have a bunch currently connected to my Wink hub and randomly I have to reconnect 1-2 bulbs, sometimes more, every month. Just curious if this was a Wink hub issues or GE Link issue.

Thanks!

I had similar problems about two weeks ago with five GE Link bulbs directly paired with my VeraPlus. I learned that the GE Link bulbs are easy to unpair as described below. I moved all five GE Link bulbs to lamps that are always powered. I use a MiniMote to turn them on, dim them, and turn them off. I have not had any problems since I adopted this approach.

[tt]“To unpair a GE Link bulb, start with your GE Link bulb turned on. Then turn off the light and wait 3 seconds. Turn on the light and wait 3 seconds. Repeat turning the light off and on (approximately 5 times) until the bulb flashes once. As soon as the bulb dims and goes back to full brightness it has been reset.”[/tt]

NOTE: I observed that the unpairing can occur much sooner than 5 off-on cycles.