VeraLite to Openhab conversion (using raspberry pi and razberry board)

Do you mean that you validate the binding for UI7 ?

Veraedge only supports UI7. So yes it does bind to UI7.

Anyone has experimented the list element in a sitemap ? In the classic UI this element is simply filtered. In HABdroid. The element is presented but not as expected (no list).
I would like to use this element in conjunction with the variables from the Sonos plugin listing the queue content, the playlists, the favorite radio stations, …

[quote=“guessed”]In order to send the Command to the right Vera Device, the MiOS Binding will [minimally] need:
a) to be bound to the specific Device#,
b) have NO [tt]in:[/tt] parameter present
c) have a [tt]command:[/tt] parameter present

The command mapping would need to have the relevant ServiceId/Action information present, similar to other Actions.

Also, since these are true stateless actions, you’ll want to have the autoupdate=false set in the binding declaration (this prevents the “button” from sticking when pressed)[/quote]

Ok, thank you, I will try.

BTW, openHAB PR #1889 has been filed to merge the latest set of changes into openHAB.

@watou was nice enough to catch a problem in my original submission, related to the (undocumented/experimental) [tt]MinimumDelay[/tt] configuration parameter, so I fixed that for the PR also.

The previous changes, relating to automatic-conversion of Epoch style dates (openHAB PR #1824) has already been included into the core codebase.

Thanks again for chasing these down in your deployment.

As a side-note, I put in an order for an ODroid C1 to see if it’s a suitable client to run openHAB on. It’s only 1G of RAM, but it’s a Quad Core ARM and it’ll be interesting to see how much it can be pushed (next would be the ODroid U3 which is what Ap had success with, it’s faster and has 2G of RAM)

I have now moved all my Vera scenes to openHAB. Works well. I am still using Vera plugins (Sonos, RFXtrx, Freebox, alarm, …).

After one week without any Vera reload, I decided to update the setup of my Freebox Vera plugin to poll the Freebox (run few HTTP requests) every 2 minutes. It has apparently broken my Vera stability that starts now to reload more often. There is probably a memory issue in Vera with HTTP calls (http.request) ? I have set a timeout to 5 seconds in the plugin, so I assume that should be enough to avoid a reload even if my Freebox does not respond to a call at a certain time.

My previous test (one week without any Vera reload) let me think that the UPnP event proxy, Sonos and RFXtrx Vera plugins are not a problem for the Vera stability.

So my priority for the beginning of 2015 should be to play (and improove) the Freebox binding in openHAB to replace my Vera Freebox plugin.

@jmmorgan,
How did your testing of openHAB go?

Please let us know if you need any assistance in further standing it up. The more diverse the test-cases, the stronger the solution gets (as you can see from the evolution resulting from @lolodomo’s recent chat-series)

@guessed
I worked fine once I have the mios binding in the addon file. The Openhab was just a simple test reading the status of Veraedge so that I know it can communicate with the unit. I am still on the fence about keeping the Veraedge, because it currently does not support USB to serial communication despite the last update. If it is not fixed next week, I will be sending it back as my return period will be running out. I currently running a V2 ?UI5 for a remote house security. I was thinking of using Openhab if the Veraedge does not pan out or is not powerful enough as I wanted to expand my home automation function, but the V2 is maxed out. I really appreciate all of the hard work you done on the Mios binding.
John

This is all looking pretty good.

I recently tried out OH v1.6 and the mios binding - still getting the hang of it. In the demo, OH has this in the items file:

Number Weather_Temperature "Outside Temperature [%.1f ?C]" <temperature> (Weather_Chart) { http="<[http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?w=638242&u=c:300000:XSLT(yahoo_weather_temperature.xsl)]" } Number Weather_Humidity "Outside Humidity [%.1f %%]" <temperature> (Weather) { http="<[http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?w=638242&u=c:300000:XSLT(yahoo_weather_humidity.xsl)]" }

Interestingly this updates every 5 mins (300000 msec as seen in the url) all by itself - not sure how. However with mios I tried this:

Number Weather_Temperature "Outside Temperature [%.1f ?C]" <temperature> (Weather_Chart) {mios="unit:houseF,device:70/service/TemperatureSensor1/CurrentTemperature"} Number Weather_Humidity "Outside Humidity [%.1f %%]" <temperature> (Weather) {mios="unit:houseF,device:73/service/HumiditySensor1/CurrentLevel"}

Note I have the right device ids and I have a “houseF”. It seems I need a rule that runs a cron job such as follows. Any guidance on getting this to work?

rule "Get Wunderground plugin data" when System started or Time cron "0 0/5 * * * ?" then // WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE HERE?? end

On another note: do you thing the OH DSC binding and the Vera DSC plugin can co-reside using the envisalink IP adapter - I’m thinking possible collisions, etc?

@a-lurker,
You don’t need the Rule at all.

The MiOS Binding will sync any change made in your Vera/MiOS Unit over to openHAB, as long as you have the corresponding Item declaration(s) (which you do). In terms of changes, when values change in Vera, they’ll be automatically reflected in openHAB (it uses the same mechanism as the MiOS/Vera remote controls do).

A few quick questions:
a) Are they updating at all, or do you just want to update them faster?
b) Do you have the org..mios.jar file installed into the OH/addons/ directory?
c) Do you see log lines, in [tt]OH/logs/openhab.log[/tt], indicating that the MiOS Binding has started/stopped?

I eyeballed the openHAB Items you’ve declared, and they appear to be correct, so the values should flow to openHAB whenever the Weather Plugin changes them. The default, in the Weather Plugin, is every 1800s (30 minutes) so you should see those changes reflected in openHAB at the same interval.

If you want them to be updated faster, then you can change the parameters of the Weather Plugin, in your Vera, to whatever (within reason, since WUI has a limit on the # of calls/day)

In the case of the default/Yahoo! Weather demo in openHAB, they’re using the Yahoo! Weather service (via a URL). They have configuration to indicate how often to reflect the changes into openHAB, and they’re using the HTTP-Binding, along with the Transformation Services, to do the lifting. That Binding has a cache so that multiple attribute calls don’t automatically translate into multiple URL calls.

More recently, there is also a Weather Binding available in openHAB directly. This can be configured to point to a variety of difference Weather services (including Yahoo!, WUI, etc)

For the DSC, the Envisalink modules only (natively) support a single client connecting to them. In this case you’d have to choose between Vera OR openHAB connecting to it. There is a discussion thread, in the DSC Subforum, that talks about some 3rd party options that can let multiple clients connect but I’ve not tried that.

[quote=“guessed, post:290, topic:181558”]@a-lurker,
For the DSC, the Envisalink modules only (natively) support a single client connecting to them. In this case you’d have to choose between Vera OR openHAB connecting to it. There is a discussion thread, in the DSC Subforum, that talks about some 3rd party options that can let multiple clients connect but I’ve not tried that.[/quote]

This is correct. The EVL3 interface can only support one connection. The solution to this is to have one of the connections be the proxy for all the others. In this case, the best bet is to build a proxy in OH since it seems like many people might be jumping ship to OH… I’m watching this thread as I’m also done with Vera once OH becomes robust enough to handle everything I do/use.

@Guessed

“when values change in Vera, they’ll be automatically reflected in openHAB”

Seems all OK now - it’s a question of what gets updated when and if it’s done automagically. So for example a change in the items file, describing an item, will update very quickly in the associated web page; ditto for the sitemap file. However the actual values can take a while to update. May be old ground but is there someway of manually forcing OH to update from Vera? So when you add in a new item you can get its status updated asap. I’m on 1.6, so this may have changed in recent time. Any advantage in 1.7 at the moment?

Another trap is the demo rules file, fills all the temperatures with random values for the demo - that had me going for a little while. :-\

Saw your mention of the Odroid boards. Was wondering why you chose the ODroid C1 over the ODroid U3 used by ap? It’s a moveable feast: Cubieboard3/Cubietruck looks like a goer and the upcoming Cubieboard4 also looks good. Suppose it’s a question of time & money.

Board comparisons

@Aaron
I thought the EVL3 might handle at least five connections. OK then - it’s either a proxy or use the OH DSC binding. Is it compatible with Guessed’s great Vera DSC plugin?

There are a couple of people on the forum currently using the proxy, therefore, yes. I added some info

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,29635.msg210698.html#msg210698

And… From the Eyez-on forum.
http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=544&sid=fbc77c2dadd5960b05c87124aaebe84a

[quote=“a-lurker, post:292, topic:181558”]“when values change in Vera, they’ll be automatically reflected in openHAB”

Seems all OK now - it’s a question of what gets updated when and if it’s done automagically. So for example a change in the items file, describing an item, will update very quickly in the associated web page; ditto for the sitemap file. However the actual values can take a while to update. May be old ground but is there someway of manually forcing OH to update from Vera? So when you add in a new item you can get its status updated asap. I’m on 1.6, so this may have changed in recent time. Any advantage in 1.7 at the moment?[/quote]

So the 1.7 version of the MiOS Binding has the latest changes, particularly the stuff resulting from @lolodomo’s usage feedback here.

The main changes are:
a) More automated conversion of openHAB DateTime Items sourced from MiOS Epoch time strings.
b) Better handling of Item changes when MiOS Engine restarts (previously this would re-trigger rules)
c) Additions to the list of UPnP Service Aliases that can be used instead of having to use the fully spelled out versions.

More discussion on the details of these is contained in the above threads.

To upgrade to it, you only need to DELETE the existing [tt]org.openhab.binding.mios-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.jar[/tt] from the OH/addons folder, and put in the newer [tt]org.openhab.binding.mios-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.jar[/tt]. You can continue to run the reset of the 1.6.x openHAB, there’s no need to tweak that (I certainly don’t)
… and restart.

The one “main” update problem that’s left occurs when editing the item files. When this is done, openHAB is triggering a repository reload, which throws away the current value of each of the items and/or restores them from the Persistence layer (it’s been a while, I can’t remember which) but there’s obviously no value for “new” Items, and won’t be until they change.

This is noted above in @lolodomo’s comments. Once you get a stabilized Items file, you don’t see this anymore, but I know that takes a while to get there (you can also generate it using AP’s Lua utility)

Saw your mention of the Odroid boards. Was wondering why you chose the ODroid C1 over the ODroid U3 used by ap? It's a moveable feast: Cubieboard3/Cubietruck looks like a goer and the upcoming Cubieboard4 also looks good. Suppose it's a question of time & money.

Board comparisons

I like a challenge. I know I can buy a ($70) ODroid U3, and it’ll work just fine, but I also like to try new things, and the ($36) ODroid C1 is a good fit for that :wink: Worst case, if it doesn’t pan-out, it’s not that much to buy the U3 (or an XU3 Lite) and reuse the C1 as a syslog server… It’s also handy that they ship locally from NoCal (ameridroid), so delivery is ~1day.

Realistically, like a RPi, both need a number of bits before they become really practical.

[quote=“guessed, post:294, topic:181558”]So the 1.7 version of the MiOS Binding has the latest changes, particularly the stuff resulting from @lolodomo’s usage feedback here.

The main changes are:
a) More automated conversion of openHAB DateTime Items sourced from MiOS Epoch time strings.
b) Better handling of Item changes when MiOS Engine restarts (previously this would re-trigger rules)
c) Additions to the list of UPnP Service Aliases that can be used instead of having to use the fully spelled out versions.[/quote]

You forgot to mention
d) Fix for strings containing non ASCII characters
:wink:

Isn’t it possible that you simply apply the same treatment as when openHAB is starting, that is fetching all values from the Vera ?

I just discovered the voice control from HABdroid. Just do quick tests and the variacle VoiceCommand seems to be set correctly in my natural language 8)
So it remains to define my syntax and analyze the string in an openHAB rule.

I like the idea to not have a fixed syntax or something forced in english 8)

Any good (or bad) experience using voice control from openHAB ?

Hi all !

This is a very great job, and I really want to give it a try !

I just downloaded the lastest stable version of OpenHAB 1.6.1, and there is already a mios binding to the addon archive.

Must I use the one included into the addon archive or the one in this link ? : https://app.box.com/s/fbmp3b11sx3b9mtwxui5

Thanks for this work !

[quote=“macfly92, post:298, topic:181558”]Hi all !

This is a very great job, and I really want to give it a try !

I just downloaded the lastest stable version of OpenHAB 1.6.1, and there is already a mios binding to the addon archive.

Must I use the one included into the addon archive or the one in this link ? : https://app.box.com/s/fbmp3b11sx3b9mtwxui5

Thanks for this work ![/quote]

Hi @macfly

The version available @ https://app.box.com/s/fbmp3b11sx3b9mtwxui5 is a recent patched version produced by @guessed for me to test few fix/enhancements.
I think the right place to download the last official Mios binding version is in the openHAB nightly builds. @guessed provided the right link few messages before.
But I am still running the version downloaded from app.box.com !

Thanks you Lolodomo.

I saw Guessed talked about a documentation, but I wasn’t be able to find it.
I’m reviewing the 20 pages posts to find how to declare items :slight_smile: