Vera3 power light is blinking green&orange OR power light is solid green

The Vera3 unit doesn't know when it's on dc or ac power. I said that because all the customers which encountered the issue experience it in this way : they where adding devices using the battery pack and after disconnecting the battery pack and connecting the ac adapter the power led started to blink.
and
although this ones are very hard to reproduce : ie : I've left for 2 days 3 Vera units (with old and new firmware) in save and cold restarts every 5 minutes and couldn't hit the bugs.
Did you try it with a nearly-discharged battery pack? perhaps it's voltage-dependent.

Any new challenges with power off? Scenes/scripts/etc. come back no problem?

I was very disapointed by how vera3 is unstable!!!

Just first day I’ve got blinking led and had to restore my vera using method described by this thread.
It probably was an incorrect power circle.

After that I put my vera3 under backed up power, so it now will never be shutted down incorrectly
but…
today I’ve just added a new device
Vera3 gone to shutdown and died
Now I can see only blinking led

I’m 100% sure vera was kept on power
What is bad with vera3??

It is bad…vera3… is very bad

it is second time i’ve tried to use the method to recover from this thread

first i’ve got new errors (part of the output):

Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 950000 -- 84 % complete. Cleanmarker written at 950000. Skipping bad block at 0x00954000

Skipping bad block at 0x00958000

Skipping bad block at 0x0095c000

Skipping bad block at 0x00960000

Skipping bad block at 0x00964000

Skipping bad block at 0x00968000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ a60000 – 94 % complete. Cleanmarker written at a60000.
Skipping bad block at 0x00a64000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ b00000 – 100 % complete.Cleanmarker written at afc000.
root@MiOS:~# sync

second my vera started with all leds lithting!!!
yes i can log into vera using ssh, but web interface was broken

what is wrong???

[quote=“axill, post:24, topic:170123”]It is bad…vera3… is very bad

it is second time i’ve tried to use the method to recover from this thread

first i’ve got new errors (part of the output):

Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 950000 -- 84 % complete. Cleanmarker written at 950000. Skipping bad block at 0x00954000

Skipping bad block at 0x00958000

Skipping bad block at 0x0095c000

Skipping bad block at 0x00960000

Skipping bad block at 0x00964000

Skipping bad block at 0x00968000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ a60000 – 94 % complete. Cleanmarker written at a60000.
Skipping bad block at 0x00a64000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ b00000 – 100 % complete.Cleanmarker written at afc000.
root@MiOS:~# sync

[/quote]
If you see the word “bad” in the output of a command, that doesn’t mean the Vera3 is bad!
Vera3 uses a NAND flash, which can have bad block even from the factory, as you can see in your case it has several bad blocks. In order to detect and prevent writing to a bad block certain algorithms are used in the kernel/bootloader. In the base OS of the first batch of Vera3 units that where shipped, we’ve identified several problems and fixed them and soon will release a new firmware which will contain also a base image upgrade. By just running the mentioned erase command you restore your fs, you don’t fix the base OS issues. In order to update your base OS you need to re-write your firmware using the Recovery tool.
More informations about NAND can be found here : http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/nand.html

second my vera started with all leds lithting!!!! yes i can log into vera using ssh, but web interface was broken

what is wrong???

In the factory each Vera unit is tested to see if all leds, buttons and zwave module is working. To mark the start of the factory test sequence Vera lights up all the leds and doesn’t boot further until this process is done. This test sequence is done only once, in your case it seems somehow that the flag which marks the process as done was erased also. I need access to your unit in order to debug this issue. I’ll send more details by PM.

For the issue of powering Vera down to connect the battery pack & vice versa.

You could use a “Y” power cord. See attached picture.

Connect it between Vera and the power supply, you can then connect the battery before disconnecting the power supply.

JOD.

vera3 is bad because it looks badly prepeared for sales.
i had zero problem to setup vera2 while vera3 died next day after purchase (arrival)

I’ve replyed to your kind email message.
I cannot activate remote access, it is not working

dmesg lists 181 bad blocks at the begining of the message

Hi,

This is my first post due problem with Vera3. Since I turned on the Vera3 the power and zwave led stay solid after one minute. The wan led is always blinking (with a cable in wan port or not). Should I use the recovery tool to re write the firmware?

Thank´s in advance,

Edgar

Your unit is fine. The wan light is flashing as it is trying to receive a connection. How long did you leave the network cable plugged into the wan port. Did you try to even access the unit? Is this your first time setting it up?

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:29, topic:170123”]Your unit is fine. The wan light is flashing as it is trying to receive a connection. How long did you leave the network cable plugged into the wan port. Did you try to even access the unit? Is this your first time setting it up?

• Garrett[/quote]

I leave the network cable plugged 1 hour. I accessed the unit and switch from “automatic” to “Vera like gateway” but nothing happened, the wan led keep blinking.
This is my first time with Vera, but I used Homeseer. I read much about Vera before bought

I’m very unluky with my new vera3.
It was recovered by cj using bettar firmware but i can not use vera even i can access it - it refuses to save changes by showing the message:

Save data This feature is not enabled. You need to upgrade to the 'Professional Home Automation' option.

also wifi client mode is not working
i cannot login to my mios account withing vera3 while can easely connect with vera2

I own vera3 for a week without any success
any chance to make it working?
or i have to return it for replacement or compencation?

Thank’s for CJ, now my Vera is working

[quote]
Your unit is fine. The wan light is flashing as it is trying to receive a connection. How long did you leave the network cable plugged into the wan port. Did you try to even access the unit? Is this your first time setting it up?

• Garrett

[quote]

Garrett,

I connected the network cable from router in Vera3 wan port and worked. I added the zwave devices. Now I wait a response from MCV about use Vera3 like a router. Thank you for help.

Edgar

[quote author=edbroni link=topic=9027.msg61292#msg61292 date=1327889882]

[quote]

• Garrett
Garrett,

I connected the network cable from router in Vera3 wan port and worked. I added the zwave devices. Now I wait a response from MCV about use Vera3 like a router. Thank you for help.

Edgar

What made you connect the cable from your router into Vera’s LAN port? Let us know what was unclear in the start up guide so that we could improve it in the next version.

That made you connect the cable from your router into Vera's LAN port? Let us know what was unclear in the start up guide so that we could improve it in the next version.

The start up guide is clear. I tried to use Vera like my main router but not worked yet. I used the lan port to setup and switch between automatic and manual configure in network option. I always used the wan port to connect in my cable modem.
Just to explain, my problem is make Vera be main router to my entire network without other router. My device don´t recognize the internet conection with a direct cable from modem.

Hi

When trying to use the link in the O.P. but it states I’m on the latest firmware, how to get it updatet above 1.5.270 ??

/Cokeman

You can not. 1.5.254/1.5.255 is the latest public release. Anything newer are builds released to the beta team.

• Garrett

My last post ITT was Jan 17th - CJ helped me recover my vera 3 from the constant green light issue.

Everything was groovy for about a month, I am very impressed with this system (my first home automation system)
Almost exactly one month since re-flash the constant green light has returned :frowning:
I connected to the Vera 3 via the serial pins and I have the same issue Verifying Checksum … Bad Data CRC
I will re-flash my unit but I have some trepidation about loosing everything again to a bad data crc
Could this possibly be a hardware issue?
The fact that exactly one month after re-flash the unit goes back into Bad Data CRC mode: could this be a software error? Something timing out or mis-calculating after 30 days?

I noticed that the latest-vera3-recovery-firmware is slightly larger than the file I used a month ago and it was created on Jan 30.

always backup your settings, I didn’t :frowning: EDIT: MOST of my devices are there after re-flash. I’m Happy :slight_smile:

The reflash will not affect your zwave chip. In the UI5 dashboard, under the “Settings” tab, go to the backup sub tab, you should see a list of backups of your vera. You can download the last good backup and do a restore to get your vera back to where it was. As CJ explained in his post, the issue is a software issue and is fixed in builds later than the current release. Hopefully when the new firmware gets released in a weeks time, this will be a non issue.

Did you unplug the Vera unit prior to the green light issue?

• Garrett

I’ve built a new firmware which has a new bootloader and the ecc fixed in both bootloader and kernel. This is newer than the one you’ve used one month ago and everybody that’s doing a firmware recovery should use the new one. If you will do the recovery with the previous version, you could still encounter issues.
After you do the recovery, you need to login into your cp.mios.com account and download a backup for your unit (vera automatically uploads a good backup each 24 hours into your cp.mios.com account)