Vera3 / Aeon-Labs Stick setup question

Hi,

I already have a small zwave network running which started off with an Aeon-labs stick and a DomotiGa(.nl) implementation. But I decided I wanted to switch the the Vera (v3) as it’s a cool device and will serve most of my needs in the near future.

I kind of want Vera V3 and DomotiGa to be able to both control the network and that’s where my question lies at the moment. I noticed the Vera runs Zwave 3.20 and the Aeon Stick only runs 2.78. What’s the best thing to do in my setup right now?

I have a really small network, so I’m able to easily switch my network arround

Should I make the Vera with version 3.20 the Primary Master of the network, or should I keep the aeon stick as primary master as it is right now…

And if I choose the Vera V3 to run version 3.20 as a Primary master, can I still get my aeon stick included into the network and use it or will that create a version incompatibility?

My network (did I say really small already):

• Aeon-Labs Stick S2
  • MicasaVerde Vera V3 (european version)
  • 2x Fibaro FGS221 switches
  • 1x Aeon-Labs Micro Smart Energy Switch
  • 1x Duwi (Bush-Jaeger edition) battery powered wall switch

Jelle

If you are happy for now to have Just the V3 then the easiest way to do this is to change Vera to use the 2.78 firmware, after its rebooted, you can plug in your Aeon stick and change Vera to use the Aeon Stick instead! You do this by going to the Zwave settings and changeing the default port from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 (depends on which USB port its plugged into). After saving and rebooting, it should come up with your exisitng devices from the Aeon stick.

After doing the above you could actually use the dongle to make a backup that you could restore to the V3 internal dongle also.

Either way, you should be able to make Vera the secondary by copying the network form your DomitiGA. (in vera Zwave settings> Advanced > Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller)

That defeats the whole purpose of having the two devices. DomotiGa doesn’t run on Vera and I like to keep it running in parallel for now.

Is it technically possible somehow to get the Vera to take over the control from the aeon-labs stick and become the primary master?
I’ve tried this, but somehow I can’t. I get a warning: Controller is SIS or not Primary

this is how my current settings look like:

Version 3.20 L:1 House/Node Role Master SIS:YES PRI:NO Last update N/A Last Z-Wave network backup 15-JAN-2012 21:12

Ok I edited the above a bit at the same time you posted, but If you can do a controller shift within DomotiGa (if it supports it) then I guess that should get you primary on the Vera!

That’s the part where DomotiGa isn’t a fully matured product just yet… and the main reason for getting a Vera on the side to keep the wife (and me) happy while I fiddle around and watch the program mature. I use DomotiGa for my other FS20, FHT and S300 equipment as well.

Is there another way to get this done? Like rebuilding the network starting with the vera on a 3.20 firmware level and then connecting the devices to it. Can I still pair the Aeon stick or is it incompatible with the firmware level?
< I must say I haven’t tested it, I’m more of an ask first then break it anyway guy)

Or can I hook the aeon-stick up to the vera and then switch the role?

edit

Thanks for the above tip. That’s kind of the way I restored the zwave network to the internal dongle by accident :wink:
Yet I didn’t get it to go to the PRI:YES role. perhaps a downgrade of the Vera V3’s firmware to 2.78 will allow me to do this.

The only way the Aeon stick will ever work in Vera, will be if you set her to use the 2.78 firmware, which you can do anyway (its more flexible for secondary inclusion controllers etc), and few here prefer it that way!

If the Aeon is already the primary then maybe you can find something else to do the controller shift, and then copy with like a friends Vera, or something else on a computer that supports the Aeon dongle (trial version of another product) :wink:

I’m sure some others here will have some ideas of how you can do it. It doesn’t sound impossible, its just I’ve never really ever played with secondary controllers.

Thanks. Trial software on windows… facepalm could have thought of that.
I’ll try to execute that immediately.

Now I need to find a way to let the Vera v3 switch back to firmware 2.78. I’ll probably have to visit the wiki for that.
Thanks for you help.

You can get Vera to 2.78 easily. See attached, you just need to un-check the box.

Thanks very much, I was fidling with those switches but it didn’t seem to work. so after 15 minute of waiting I just rebooted the device by unplugging the powercord. it did the trick and it booted with 2.78.

Now to find me some home automation software under windows… Homeseer failed to be up to the task.

What was up with Homeseer? Did you install the Aeon serial driver?

[quote=“strangely, post:10, topic:170191”]What was up with Homeseer? Did you install the Aeon serial driver?[/quote] I had an old version installed. 2.0.39 or something… then removed it properly, installed 2.0.52 which worked a lot better, yet I can’t seem to transfer the primary role over to the vera.

I scrubbed most of my devices to only keep in my network:

Node 1: the aeon stick
Node 3: The Fibaro switch (which I don’t want to go and get out of the wall)
Node 8: The Vera in “Master SIS:YES PRI:NO” role

when I click the transfer primary button on the homeseer and “receive information from master” on the vera they don’t seem to exchange data. When I click either one but not at the same time, same result.

When I select shift controller on the vera, I get a “you’re SIS not PRI” message disallowing the action.
When I select “receive information from the master” in Vera and I select either “transfer receive” or a “transfer send” on the homeseer (I don’t know the exact commands, I’m at work at the moment) nothing happens and they fail to communicate with eachother.

background information, how did I get the vera and aeon to talk to eachother:

I put the aeon-stick into inclusion mode by removing it from the pc and pressing the button on the stick
I logged into the vera, went to devices, Add Devices, Advanced Z-Wave devices add. I selected “Add MiOS to another Z-Wave Network”. This made both recognize eachother and allowed the vera onto my z-wave network.

Jelle

[quote author=jrkalf link=topic=9099.msg59797#msg59797 date=1326810465]

[quote=“strangely, post:10, topic:170191”]-----
background information, how did I get the vera and aeon to talk to eachother:

I put the aeon-stick into inclusion mode by removing it from the pc and pressing the button on the stick
I logged into the vera, went to devices, Add Devices, Advanced Z-Wave devices add. I selected “Add MiOS to another Z-Wave Network”. This made both recognize eachother and allowed the vera onto my z-wave network.[/quote]

Thanks Jelle I had same problem and this worked also fine for me (but Vera is seconday controller). Nevertheless, if now I include a new device to the aeon stick, then the “Add MiOS to another Z-Wave Network” is not working anymore ! So I don’t know now how to include new devices to the Vera :frowning:

I think the “proper” way as the zwave people see this is the following:

after having added your vera as secondary controller, you’ll have to do a transfer receive on the vera and a transfer send on the aeon to replicate the node information accross the network.

[quote=“jrkalf, post:13, topic:170191”]I think the “proper” way as the zwave people see this is the following:

after having added your vera as secondary controller, you’ll have to do a transfer receive on the vera and a transfer send on the aeon to replicate the node information accross the network.[/quote]

How to do this? No way to reverse to have vera master controller?
Otherwise I finally succed getting new datas (new devices) from aeon stick after un-checking the ‘3.20 firmware’ and again “Add MiOS to another Z-Wave Network”. But new problem: it was an ezmotion 3 in 1 sensor and the vera (IU5) only recognises it as ‘IO generic device’ !

[quote=“sliver38, post:14, topic:170191”][quote=“jrkalf, post:13, topic:170191”]I think the “proper” way as the zwave people see this is the following:

after having added your vera as secondary controller, you’ll have to do a transfer receive on the vera and a transfer send on the aeon to replicate the node information accross the network.[/quote]

How to do this? No way to reverse to have vera master controller?
Otherwise I finally succed getting new datas (new devices) from aeon stick after un-checking the ‘3.20 firmware’ and again “Add MiOS to another Z-Wave Network”. But new problem: it was an ezmotion 3 in 1 sensor and the vera (IU5) only recognises it as ‘IO generic device’ ![/quote]

what I did was restart the zwave network as I only had a few items in it. I couldn’t be bothered when I didn’t get it to work.
Normally you should have you vera in normal operating mode and open a zwave tool on the machine with your zwave stick. With this tool you have to “transfer primary” (as in transfer the primary tool) towards another controller. For which the vera has to be that controller.

I’ve tried it with homeseer, that didn’t work. I did like the ztool from homeseer which is a lot of better, but I haven’t managed to get it to work.

Jelle

For reference: the Aeon Labs USB Z-Wave stick works fine in Vera Lite’s USB slot, using /dev/ttyUSB0 (note capitalization). If you restore a backup made from a Vera2, it will use the value from the backup (/dev/tts/usb/0 or /dev/tts/usb/1) and will need to be manually changed.

(This was the only thing I had to manually change with my Vera2->VeraLite upgrade. I’m happy with how easy it was.)

???

Thanks for that comment, that was completely what I didn’t intend on this thread.
I will not shove that aeon stick in my nice Vera V3.

I tried to get around getting them to work nicely together on firmware 2.78L1, but that won’t happen somehow.

I’ve managed to let the vera be primary on 3.20 and having a Master SIS:no Pri:yes before having added any device. I’m now running with one fibaro FGS221 switch. Sadly there things go wrong again. what’s wrong with this firmware, or what am I doing wrong here…

I know. My comment is directed at the future people who find this thread while searching. Hence the “for reference” preamble. Just ignore it.

(Some of us have no choice about using the Aeon USB stick because Vera3 doesn’t yet come with a Z-Wave radio of their country’s frequency.)

Is it possible to copy the V3’s internal dongle data to the Aeon dongle?
I don’t want to do a controller shift on my main unit for fear of not being able to get it back.

The only way I can think of doing it is using three Vera’s.

Backup #1 (V3 Pro), restore to #2 (V3 Lite) Internal dongle.
Controller shift #2. Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller using #3 that’s setup to use the Aeon dongle.

Is there an easier way?

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:19, topic:170191”]Is it possible to copy the V3’s internal dongle data to the Aeon dongle?
I don’t want to do a controller shift on my main unit for fear of not being able to get it back.

The only way I can think of doing it is using three Vera’s.

Backup #1 (V3 Pro), restore to #2 (V3 Lite) Internal dongle.
Controller shift #2. Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller using #3 that’s setup to use the Aeon dongle.

Is there an easier way?

JOD.[/quote]From what I gather from this thread you can.
When you have that vera internal dongle setup, you make sure you create a backup of the zwave network by using the backup button. After that put the aeon stick in and correct the /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyUSB1 (1 or 2 depending the port you put it in). After having done that reboot the device by removing the power and putting the power back on and restore the zwave network onto the dongle.

Keep in mind that it won’t work if your current vera network is version 3.20. The Aeonstick only works with version 2.78