Vera Vistacam PT Blinking light cannot turn off

NEWBE here! Looking for some assistance on my new camera. 1st looking to locate what type of system I have UI5 or UI7 where can i locate this info?

I go online utilizing the IP software to access the camera and access indicator settings and can select “always off” and submit but the selection does not stay. Please help. Thank you

From your Vera web interface go to Devices, find and copy the IP address of your VistaCam PT. Open a new tab and paste the IP address. Login with the camera username and password. Click on Sign in for IE or your browser. On the left panel click on System and select Indicator settings. Change to Always off and click Submit. This is what worked for me.

Yes, you have to do it from the actual VistaCam page. This is the same page you set the presets.

I have tried this several times and will not work.

Hi Folks

Just got and setup my VistaCam PT

Has anyone solved the problem with the blinking status light on the VistCam PT

Device Firmware Version 17.1.1.24
Device Embedded Web UI Version 30.10.1.50

My issue seems to be the same as some folks where directly logging into the camera’s ip, I can change other setting but the indicator light status setting just flips back to “…off with no connection” and the light continues to strobe away very brightly.

I sent support@getvera.com a message 2 days ago but have not heard…

It’s so annoying I am likely going to send the unit back which is a shame as it works well otherwise…

Thanks for any pointers!

I am having the same issue, You can change the setting but it never stick just reverts back to the original setting.

I have a friend who’s camera is always a steady light and can’t turn it off. How quickly does it revert back to the original setting? We know the Vera does a reset at night, I can’t seem to disable that since going to UI7. Also, any custom network settings? Are you using DHCP reservation? Any connection problems to viewing the images/video?

Hey guys,

I suggest sending an email to support@getvera.com or submit a form from http://support.mios.com/customer/widget/emails/new? and request for the firmware of the camera to be updated. Don’t forget to attach the tech support code, to make things faster.

I have a friend who’s camera is always a steady light and can’t turn it off. How quickly does it revert back to the original setting? We know the Vera does a reset at night, I can’t seem to disable that since going to UI7. Also, any custom network settings? Are you using DHCP reservation? Any connection problems to viewing the images/video?[/quote]

The setting never actually sets. I can change the drop down on the webpage but when I click submit it reverts right back to the original setting and it never takes effect. I am using DHCP and have no problems connecting or viewing images at all. Everything else works great.

[quote=“mcv.johnm, post:8, topic:184290”]Hey guys,

I suggest sending an email to support@getvera.com or submit a form from http://support.mios.com/customer/widget/emails/new? and request for the firmware of the camera to be updated. Don’t forget to attach the tech support code, to make things faster.[/quote]

I have submitted a ticket and have received no response.

I have a friend who’s camera is always a steady light and can’t turn it off. How quickly does it revert back to the original setting? We know the Vera does a reset at night, I can’t seem to disable that since going to UI7. Also, any custom network settings? Are you using DHCP reservation? Any connection problems to viewing the images/video?[/quote]I can confirm that this issue is specific to UI7.

I’ve always controlled the settings directly using the camera’s remote server software, but I linked to it via UI5 with vera lite. I migrated to vera edge with UI7, and while I’m able to successfully change the settings at the camera (using camera’s software) and the indicator lights do turn “all off,” it resets every day. This never happened when I was linked with UI5, so I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with UI7, but I saw no obvious “variables” or settings in the UI7 camera settings.

edit: just checked the log, and UI7 is definitely resetting the camera every night at 0:55:00.

I have a friend who’s camera is always a steady light and can’t turn it off. How quickly does it revert back to the original setting? We know the Vera does a reset at night, I can’t seem to disable that since going to UI7. Also, any custom network settings? Are you using DHCP reservation? Any connection problems to viewing the images/video?[/quote]I can confirm that this issue is specific to UI7.

I’ve always controlled the settings directly using the camera’s remote server software, but I linked to it via UI5 with vera lite. I migrated to vera edge with UI7, and while I’m able to successfully change the settings at the camera (using camera’s software) and the indicator lights do turn “all off,” it resets every day. This never happened when I was linked with UI5, so I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with UI7, but I saw no obvious “variables” or settings in the UI7 camera settings.

edit: just checked the log, and UI7 is definitely resetting the camera every night at 0:55:00.[/quote]

I’m having this problem now during the 2am heal. It didn’t start till I added a second vistacam pt to my vera. I had been on ui7 and the latest download for some time without it. Now both cams have the flashing light even though they were set to be always off.

Prior to the heal last night I put a check mark in zwave settings to use “Use Vera routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)” however that didn’t help. While it is still check marked today I still had the blinking lights. Going to email support now.

I think I have a fix. it’ll take a couple nights to test (assuming I remember). create a new user l/p with limited rights (administrator > operator > visitor). I’m starting with operator and replacing the adminstrator login that I supplied to vera. theoretically, vera won’t have the rights to reset any of the camera’s settings, but operator should still be able to pan, tilt, and take pictures (hence “operator”). the next step after that is “visitor.”

But root and admin are in the logs and my user name part of admin group. So not sure how that would work. I think it’s a firmware and vera thing.

EDIT I’m positive I’m not doing anything wrong. I just enabled tech support for the response from my email so we’ll see what happens. Personally since this hasn’t happened before and due to the firmware of the camera I’m led to believe it’s vera’s firmware however oddly it wasn’t until the second camera (vista cam pt) was installed that this happened. So many odd ball things. There are more potential variables to go wrong than in all of Tasker. :slight_smile:

You’d be creating a new user and assigning it to the ‘operator’ group from within the camera’s interface software.

Then you’d go into ui7 (vera) and replace the existing user profile (root/admin/custom name) with the newly created login. The new login is what vera uses to reset the camera settings, but without root/admin privileges, it won’t be able to reset the camera.

In any case, I’ll know of it works when I get home (forgot to check this morning).

[quote=“daneg, post:14, topic:184290”]You’d be creating a new user and assigning it to the ‘operator’ group from within the camera’s interface software.

Then you’d go into ui7 (vera) and replace the existing user profile (root/admin/custom name) with the newly created login. The new login is what vera uses to reset the camera settings, but without root/admin privileges, it won’t be able to reset the camera.

In any case, I’ll know of it works when I get home (forgot to check this morning).[/quote]

Interesting. Well I’ll see what happens after support responds. They responded to my email, I enabled tech support, waiting to see what they say. I tried disabling the heal but because I have a sensor that needs battery replacement the heal will continue to run. I’d have to remove the device and I don’t want to.

Let me know how you do it, appreciate it!

Although…if you change that won’t it prevent VistaCam firmware upgrades? I suppose that’s not a big deal unless there are some “exciting” features coming which I doubt.

Ok. I fixed my issue, which I think is what at least one other person is having with the indicator light that keeps coming back on after you’ve turned it off. What was happening for me is that Vera Edge/UI7 would log into the camera every 24 hours and reset all of the settings on the camera, presumably to the predefined settings in Vera. I do not know much of anything about Vera settings, but until tech support chimes in about a perma fix, you can prevent this from happening by limiting the user privileges that Vera Edge/UI7 has in regard to your Camera(s).

TL; DR: you need to supply Vera Edge/UI7 with a limited user account which allows the software to operate the camera but not to change any of the camera’s system settings:

(sorry for the links but I couldn’t figure out how to embed images)
step 1: log into your camera directly and click on the system tab

step 2: click on “indicator settings”

step 3: select “always off” from the drop down box. and press submit.

step 4: click on the system tab again

step 5: click on “user settings”

step 6: create a new user with limited rights. You’ll see a few arrows on this picture. the first account should already exist (admin). you should change that password to something secure while you’re here. note that on the far right column, there’s a drop down box that says “administrator” on it. that was the problem with my system. you want to leave the administrator group alone for the “admin” user, and underneath that user, create a new user (I named mine “vera”), and create a unique password for the user. In the group column, click the drop down box and select the “operator” group. now press the “submit” button at the bottom.

After this is done, you can close out of the camera software. The rest of the work will be done through Vera Edge with UI7.

step 7: from your dashboard in UI7, click on “devices” (although you could probably do this from the “cameras” link as well). Note that there’s an error message on my dashboard. I think that’s caused by what we’re doing here. Remember when I said I don’t know how to adjust the settings in UI7? This is the result. Every night, Vera Edge tries to “reset” my camera’s settings, but since I gave it a username/password with limited access rights on my camera, it is unable to change my camera’s settings. Hence the reported failure you see on the dashboard – I think. In any case, this is a cosmetic error that I will live with until someone posts how to fix the network heal thing.

step 8: click on the settings button for the camera (the little arrow pointing to the right).

step 9: replace the old username and password (probably “admin” or “root”) with the new username and password you just created in the camera software (“vera” in my example). press “save” at the bottom of the page, and voila! the camera no longer resets itself every 24 hours.

you’ll need to do this for every camera in your system.

[quote=“daneg”]Ok. I fixed my issue, which I think is what at least one other person is having with the indicator light that keeps coming back on after you’ve turned it off. What was happening for me is that Vera Edge/UI7 would log into the camera every 24 hours and reset all of the settings on the camera, presumably to the predefined settings in Vera. I do not know much of anything about Vera settings, but until tech support chimes in about a perma fix, you can prevent this from happening by limiting the user privileges that Vera Edge/UI7 has in regard to your Camera(s).

TL; DR: you need to supply Vera Edge/UI7 with a limited user account which allows the software to operate the camera but not to change any of the camera’s system settings:

(sorry for the links but I couldn’t figure out how to embed images)
step 1: log into your camera directly and click on the system tab

step 2: click on “indicator settings”

step 3: select “always off” from the drop down box. and press submit.

step 4: click on the system tab again

step 5: click on “user settings”

step 6: create a new user with limited rights. You’ll see a few arrows on this picture. the first account should already exist (admin). you should change that password to something secure while you’re here. note that on the far right column, there’s a drop down box that says “administrator” on it. that was the problem with my system. you want to leave the administrator group alone for the “admin” user, and underneath that user, create a new user (I named mine “vera”), and create a unique password for the user. In the group column, click the drop down box and select the “operator” group. now press the “submit” button at the bottom.

After this is done, you can close out of the camera software. The rest of the work will be done through Vera Edge with UI7.

step 7: from your dashboard in UI7, click on “devices” (although you could probably do this from the “cameras” link as well). Note that there’s an error message on my dashboard. I think that’s caused by what we’re doing here. Remember when I said I don’t know how to adjust the settings in UI7? This is the result. Every night, Vera Edge tries to “reset” my camera’s settings, but since I gave it a username/password with limited access rights on my camera, it is unable to change my camera’s settings. Hence the reported failure you see on the dashboard – I think. In any case, this is a cosmetic error that I will live with until someone posts how to fix the network heal thing.

step 8: click on the settings button for the camera (the little arrow pointing to the right).

step 9: replace the old username and password (probably “admin” or “root”) with the new username and password you just created in the camera software (“vera” in my example). press “save” at the bottom of the page, and voila! the camera no longer resets itself every 24 hours.

you’ll need to do this for every camera in your system.[/quote]
Thanks for this. I’ll give it a shot and report back!

So I did it, saw the errors, that’s fine for now. One of my cams refuses to make the new user an operator. It reverts back to Visitor after the camera restarts. Not sure why.

We’ll see what happens I guess.

“visitor” should mean you won’t be able to pan/tilt or take pictures, but you should be able to view the image and, if you have it set to auto pan/patrol, do that. it also means you won’t be able to do any complex scene actions like begin recording when a motion sensor trips or something like that.

my experience with ui5 and the oem android software was that controlling the camera through vera was terrible. whenever I wanted to control it, I logged into directly. true to form, I find that ui7 (with or without an admin account) is pretty bad at actually controlling the camera (pan/tilt/etc.).

is there new firmware or anything for this camera, that led is bright?

Device Firmware Version 17.1.1.24
Device Embedded Web UI Version 30.10.1.50

seems like there would be a download link somewhere to the latest firmware versions?

also there should be a option to set to tell vera to keep it’s hands off the camera’s configs :wink: