Vera to windows computer output TTS or sound or run program

[quote=“konradwalsh, post:19, topic:173781”]jsut do

luup.inet.wget(“IP-ADDRESS-HERE:8087/TTS?SPEECH-HERE”)[/quote]

OMG!!! My Computer just spoke to me from Vera!!! Thank you konradwalsh!! Ok. I am WAY too excited that this thing is working! I really really really wish that I knew some programming so I could contribute to this awesome project. Tip to anyone who joins this party later on, make sure you create an exception for this program in your firewall and you’ll have to forward ports so Vera can use it. :wink: Good grief. I really hate having to go to bed at night. Work is really getting in the way of my hobbies… groan…

No problem…

But with programming…
Just start!
Start simple… Be consistent
In 3 months you’ll be amazed at what you can do

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I just received the USB bluetooth dongle I ordered from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHMN3EG) and I can confirm it’s compatible with WHS2011 via the drivers on the CD that came with it. Hooked up a BT speaker and set it as teh default audio device.

Test http calls from my workstation worked like a charm even after I moved the BT speaker about 20’ away to the living room.

I’m wondering if the author of this gem is still around as I would sure like it to be a service. Right now I have to be logged in to the box to ensure it stays running.

I’m hoping this will work as I really don’t want to spend $300 on a Sonos speaker.

The above dongle, according to the reviews is Windows 10 compatible. One of the reasons I picked it.

[quote=“konradwalsh, post:22, topic:173781”]No problem…

But with programming…
Just start!
Start simple… Be consistent
In 3 months you’ll be amazed at what you can do

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk[/quote]

I’m still rolling around in the ancient world of batch scripting but I sure hope to get to the good stuff really soon! Thanks for the encouragement konradwalsh!

[quote=“BOFH, post:23, topic:173781”]I’m wondering if the author of this gem is still around as I would sure like it to be a service. Right now I have to be logged in to the box to ensure it stays running.

I’m hoping this will work as I really don’t want to spend $300 on a Sonos speaker.[/quote]

Great idea to save with the usb dongle BOFH. I had the same heartburn when I saw the price for the So No! I’v actually tried the usb dongle and bluetooth headset approach but I have not been happy with the audio recognition abilities of bluetooth in general and especially not the quality of what you can hear… I’m glad it’s worked well for you.

So of course I am dreaming far bigger than my wallet again… I’m gonna try this with a usb boundary mic one of these days as soon as I can figure out how to pipe audio from one windows computer to another over my LAN. I haven’t beeen able to find any simple approach for this yet that doesn’t require a masters degree to use!

Piping audio from a windows box is not that hard. Modify the source computer to allow audio redirection in an RDP session (google is your friend). Then RDP into the source computer from a remote one. The audio on the source computer will play on your remote computer.

Alternatively use the free Serviio media server on the source computer as it can use Media Player as a renderer on the target computer.

Thanks BOFH! I have no idea what the issue was with my RDP or how I fixed it but it’s working fine now and I’ve gotten sound in my connection. Goodness I wish the developer of this plugin would come back. This little tool has tons of potential! :frowning:

I sent him a PM last week hoping he’d get an email notification of that and respond. No luck so far. I do agree, this tool has a lot of potential. I wish I could install Sonos speakers but I can’t justify the price at this time.

^^^ Same here. Sonos looks great but I can’t afford it right now either. I’ve also sent him a PM today. Fingers crossed! :smiley: