Vera Time is 15 Years Off

Have tried looking through support and troubleshooting and can’t get an answer. I have had my vera over a year and have a well working network of devices. On Sept 5th, my schedules stopped triggering. I have now realized that the system time on the vera webpage shows January 1 2000. All of the schedules are set to trigger on Sept 6th 2015.

Hopefully this is an easy fix with something I am missing. Appreciate anyone’s help.

Thanks,
Bearcat

Okay, no responses but I have an update. I saw somewhere else to try and factory restore the mios website. Now I reconnected my Vera and the date shows Dec 31, 1999. This means none of my schedules will trigger. I am getting no response or support on my Vera ticket.

Really bummed because I have had this working without issue over a year.

Appreciate anyone that has some advice on this.

Thanks,
bearcat

does it have an internet connection?

you could ssh into it and set the time manually?

Your Edge will do this if your machine is not connecting to the Internet properly to get the time from the time service. Make sure everything is sound with your home network and router (you might try power cycling your router).

If that doesn’t fix your issue, Then go into your Vera and restore a back up from before you had the trouble. If you aren’t able to do that because it keeps asking you for your creditials then your connection to the internet is still bad, try resetting you network settings on the Vera.

If that still does work,

Call Vera Support (don’t use email for this type of issue as they are going to need to have you connect it to your PC directly to restore a backup.)

[quote=“shallowearth, post:4, topic:188793”]Your Edge will do this if your machine is not connecting to the Internet properly to get the time from the time service. Make sure everything is sound with your home network and router (you might try power cycling your router).

If that doesn’t fix your issue, Then go into your Vera and restore a back up from before you had the trouble. If you aren’t able to do that because it keeps asking you for your creditials then your connection to the internet is still bad, try resetting you network settings on the Vera.

If that still does work,

Call Vera Support (don’t use email for this type of issue as they are going to need to have you connect it to your PC directly to restore a backup.)[/quote]

or…

SSH in and change it yourself…

:stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Okay, trying to do the SSH thing but this is new to me. I used online help to get as far as changing the date/time.

I cannot get the correct code for this.

date --set 09182015 …results in Sep 18 20:15:00 EDT 1910

Can’t seem to get the year and time in the right syntax. Any help or link to help would be most appreciated.

So close…:frowning:

SSH will not work, I tried that, multiple times, so don’t bother. If you Edge is having network connection problems, and you set the time via SSH, it will take for maybe 10-20 seconds then be flipped back 2000. I also restored a backup at one point via SSH (because I couldn’t log in to use the backup UI on the edge… you need web connectivity to use the restore UI go figure even if you are uploading a local file). After rebooting after restoring the backup… flipped back to 2000 30 seconds later.

MCV support is your best bet. Call late at night (if you are in the US) and you will get somebody that with little to no wait time. It was actually a great experience, and they showed me some things on how to connect it directly to my laptop to resolve future issues without doing all the SSH (which never worked for this particular problem if it is infact that your network connection is bad).

[quote=“bearcat, post:6, topic:188793”]Okay, trying to do the SSH thing but this is new to me. I used online help to get as far as changing the date/time.

I cannot get the correct code for this.

date --set 09182015 …results in Sep 18 20:15:00 EDT 1910

Can’t seem to get the year and time in the right syntax. Any help or link to help would be most appreciated.

So close…:([/quote]

How is your internet connection?

That gap you’re seeing is just the customer support lag time.

[quote=“bearcat, post:6, topic:188793”]I cannot get the correct code for this.

date --set 09182015 …results in Sep 18 20:15:00 EDT 1910[/quote]

If you look at date --help it displays the desired format. The most human readable format being YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm
try date --set 2015-09-19 13:06

This should reliably set the date. The date reverting, like @shallowearth described, suggests that Vera is reaching a time server. The date should not change after being set if Vera has no outside time source.

The main issue remains. The reason that your date/time is off is that Vera is not able to reach the time server on the internet at boot time. This may be because of a service issue or it may be because the switch that Vera is plugged into is not opening its ethernet port fast enough.

Plug your Vera directly into your internet router and power cycle Vera.

Internet connection is good, no problems there.

I had already tried that date format and it doesn’t work. I found that date help and still cannot get any of those formats to take, super frustrating.

So I started changing my physical internet set up. I have a Sprint cell box that my modem connects to and then to my router. I took that out of the loop and like magic, the time fixed itself and schedules are now working.

When the issue was happening, you could see the correct date/time when the Mios page is loading, but as soon as it loaded it reverted back to the wrong date/time.

Now I know its a speed issue, just have to figure out if the Sprint box can ever be linked back in. Getting cell phone calls or vera schedules working…what is more important…hmmm.

I know this post is old but i’m getting the same trouble. Anyone solved this issue???

How do you have your internet setup?

Vera set it’s time when it REBOOTS (i.e. it is power cycled).
When Vera Reloads (which it does a lot) it does NOT update the time.

Some people loose there internet when the power goes out … and Vera Reboots before the Internet is restored.
In that case Vera will have the WRONG time.

This is why many people put there Vera on a UPS. So it never looses it’s time.

You can fix this by power cycling your Vera while the internet is available.