Vera Opening My Garages by itself...Not good!!

I have 5 garage doors and they all have zwave modules to open/close. My first 2 I used the Remotec ZFM-80 dry contact switch. For the others, I chose to go with the Linear Fixture module. I don’t have many nice things to say about the Remotec but the Linear modules have been great so far. I simply turn on the switches (relay modules) in Vera which triggers a scene and then turns the switch back off seconds later. Everything works just fine when I ask them to do what they need to do.

My issue is this and it’s a scary one!!

On 3 seperate occasions, I have found that a garage door was opened and I never gave it the command to do so. Once it happen at 2 am and my alarm went off as it sensed motion as the door went up. Once I woke up to one door open all night. Had one happen last night around 10pm before I had even armed the building alarm. The only good thing is I have notifications and was sent a text message that the garage just opened even though I never sent command to open. Literally, by itself. UGH!!

Has anyone seen this happen and can you please advise how to prevent this incredible security issue?

Thanks for any help on the subject…

Do you have any scenes or PLEG instances in any way involved in activating the garage door?

First, I add the module to Vera as usual and it creates the standard on/off switch if you will in Vera. Then I create a scene under automation in Vera…example…Open RV Garage Door Scene. In that scene, I choose the RV Garage Door Module as ON…Then, under triggers…I choose triggered if RV Garage module (#171) is ON and in the LUUP event on the trigger, I add the command as shown below. This same scenario applies to all the garage door modules. The only reason I do this LUUP event is to turn the module off after shorting the garage door common and open or close terminals. This way, I still have use of the standard garage door button hardwired originally in the garage.

Thanks!!

local device = 171
– Switch on device 171:
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“SetTarget”,{ newTargetValue=“1” },device)
luup.call_delay( ‘switch_off’, 2) – Call the switch off function after a delay of 2 seconds
function switch_off()
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”,“SetTarget”,{ newTargetValue=“0” },device)
end

Well, that scene may be the culprit, but it is hard to tell. Do you have a scene controller (remote control type) that you are using? Sometimes they can trigger erroneous scenes.

You may want to take that scene out, and replace it with the Garage Door app in the MiOS marketplace. This will require you to have a sensor on the door, if you don’t have it already.

Interesting…I actually just bought some Aeotec door sensors…I can try that…The only controllers I use are Vera Lite…One in Main house and One in Detached building…

So you say install the sensor, delete the scene (trigger and LUUP) and that should do it huh…

The plugin will allow for the delayed on/off…

One concern is the RV garage…it requires the close function to stay pressed for 20 sec to fully close the monster roll down vs a simple pulse like the standard garage doors…

The plugin does create a few second pulse, sufficient for a regular garage door.

the monster roll down may be an issue, since the pulse isn’t long enough. I don’t think the time is configurable in Richard’s plugin, but you could ask him. otherwise, you could build a little relay/timer, but you would have to be a bit handy with that sort of thing.

@ShawnInFL

The delay is not a configuration option … I can make it an option.
Until then you can upload … modify then download the file: I_GaraggeDoorLock.xml using the Apps → Develop Apps → Luup Files option for your Vera Control Panel.

Save a copy of the I_GarageDoorLock.xml file before you change it … in case you make a mistake.

Find the two places in the file where you find luup.call_delay.
On those lines you will see the number 2, change it to 22. (From 2 seconds to 22 seconds).

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:7, topic:180456”]@ShawnInFL

Until then you can upload … modify then download the file: I_GaraggeDoorLock.xml using the Apps → Develop Apps → Luup Files option for your Vera Control Panel.

Save a copy of the I_GarageDoorLock.xml file before you change it … in case you make a mistake.

On those lines you will see the number 2, change it to 22. (From 2 seconds to 22 seconds).[/quote]

awesome

Since he has two vera’s, should he make the modification only on the vera unit that controls the monster door? Holding a 22sec pulse on a regular door make make it difficult to stop the door with the wall button, yes?

(If the two units are bridged, he can install Garage Door on the parent and control all the other doors with the regular pulse, and modify Garage Door on the child and us that instance to control only the monster.)

I’ll just chime in my two cents:

1. This is almost certainly an unexpected scene the is activating the door. I’ve had accidental clicks while editing a scene cause this kind of “spurious” activation issue with Z-Wave switches.

You can troll through the scenes and find it(not fun) or you can exclude the Z-Wave device and include it again. This will reset everything on the device and remove it from any and all scenes. When you include it again, it will have a new device number.

1. The LUA code for the delay action is not necessary. You can, like me, use a 1 second delay(or more) in the scene to turn the Z-Wave switch off.

For the sake of my paranoia, I also have an additional scene that is triggered bay any and all garage door Z-Wave switches being on. That scene sends an Off command to all of the garage door Z-Wave switches, just to make sure none of them get missed.

1. @Bulldoglowell’s recommendation to use a door sensor and @RichardTSchaefer’s plugin is a great one. Being able to determine the door’s state remotely is very nice/important. I also recommend having a camera pointed at the doors and using automated repeat notifications rather than any kind of automated door activation.

Thanks for all the input guys…

I have installed an aeotec door contact switch on a simple 2 car garage on the main vera…installed the garage door app from Richard…seems to work just fine…I deleted the previous scene as well as the trigger and luup code that went with it. So, for now, I am just playing with the simple 2 door and will edit the file as requested Richard once I tackle the RV garage which requires the time stretch in the contact.

Curious though…I was playing around in the camera options I have for that 2 car garage (the one I just installed the contact sensor) and I see where I can have certain light come on when the sensor is tripped. It doesn’t seem to have any options though as far as how long to leave the lights on and such…

Wondering, is there a way I can have certain lights come on when the 2 car garage switch is triggered and then go off after say 20 sec after the door sensor is return to the not tripped position?

Meaning, when the garage door is opened, the lights outside and inside will turn on and stay on…then, once the garage door is closed, stay on for an additional 20 sec and then turn off.

Great app Richard…very simple to setup…!!

Thanks for all the input guys…I will sleep better once I get all these done and have no fear of scenes randomly opening my garages…YIKES!!!

Have you looked into PLEG?

you can do all that…

[quote=“ShawnInFL, post:10, topic:180456”]Wondering, is there a way I can have certain lights come on when the 2 car garage switch is triggered and then go off after say 20 sec after the door sensor is return to the not tripped position?

Meaning, when the garage door is opened, the lights outside and inside will turn on and stay on…then, once the garage door is closed, stay on for an additional 20 sec and then turn off.

Great app Richard…very simple to setup…!![/quote]

if you liked Garage Door you will love PLEG…

My post was referring to the accidental configuration of the Z-Wave switch in a scene that likely has nothing at all to do with your garage doors. You’re working on a scene (bathroom fan) and unknowingly click the garage door switch. Suddenly your bathroom fan is opening the garage door and you have no idea where it is coming from. That’s why I recommended excluding the Z-Wave switch, which will remove it from all scenes. Deleting and recreating your garage door scene may not resolve your spurious activation issue.

...I see where I can have certain light come on when the sensor is tripped. It doesn't seem to have any options though as far as how long to leave the lights on and such...

Wondering, is there a way I can have certain lights come on when the 2 car garage switch is triggered and then go off after say 20 sec after the door sensor is return to the not tripped position?

I believe that you are referring to the ability to associate a Z-Wave controlled light to the sensor. Using an association, the light will turn on when the sensor is tripped and it will turn off immediately when the sensor is untripped.

To implement the delayed turn off that you describe, you would have to use a Vera scene or a PLEG as, @Bulldoglowell indicated. You could not use an association and get a delay.

Been crazy busy but I did download all the PLEG plugins tonight and will attemp some configurations this week. Looks like it offers many options once the learning curve is behind me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys…

Keep ya posted :slight_smile:

No false garage openings so far…

[quote=“ShawnInFL, post:13, topic:180456”]Been crazy busy but I did download all the PLEG plugins tonight and will attemp some configurations this week. Looks like it offers many options once the learning curve is behind me.

No false garage openings so far…[/quote]

Looks like your on the right track. Still Learning PLEG myself.

[quote=“ShawnInFL, post:13, topic:180456”]Been crazy busy but I did download all the PLEG plugins tonight and will attemp some configurations this week. Looks like it offers many options once the learning curve is behind me.

Curiosity kills me. What are you hiding behind that that monster door for teh RV garage? Allegro bus? Or a Prevost? :slight_smile:

[quote=“BOFH, post:15, topic:180456”][quote=“ShawnInFL, post:13, topic:180456”]Been crazy busy but I did download all the PLEG plugins tonight and will attemp some configurations this week. Looks like it offers many options once the learning curve is behind me.

Curiosity kills me. What are you hiding behind that that monster door for teh RV garage? Allegro bus? Or a Prevost? :)[/quote]

Well just stand out side it will open by it’s self shortly… LOL

Sorry for late reply, I failed to check notify on replies for this thread.

You are gonna be disappointed at what’s behind the big roll up. Absolutely nothing. LOL

The guy that built this house built this house originally bought the acreage and brought power in for RV hookup. He lived in his RV apparently while the block garage and upstairs apartment were being built. Once completed, he moved the RV in the garage and they started on the main house. Almost a year later the main house was finished. The sad part, his thriving business failed with the real estate crash in FL and was only in the house for a few months before the bank took it back and we got it from the bank.

I keep other toys like boat, ski, mower, golf cart…that kinda stuff in there but the monster bay is simply my dream bay for doing all my maintenance and tinkering :slight_smile:

Sorry to disappoint!!

Maybe someday I will fill the void…really wanting 69 camaro before I make that RV lifestyle move :stuck_out_tongue: has been on the toy list since jr high and I seem to always find a reason not to pull the trigger and get one.

Still haven’t figured pit my PLEG but haven’t given enough attention either.

Since I installed the aeotec door sensors and Richards garage door app, my other 4 garage doors all not only work flawlessly but most importantly have never opened on their own!!

Still have to conquer the big one but it’s on the short list :wink:

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:7, topic:180456”]@ShawnInFL

On those lines you will see the number 2, change it to 22. (From 2 seconds to 22 seconds).[/quote]

Hey Richard,

So impressed with the reliability and functionality of the garage door remote app on my other garages…

I wanted to get this working on the big roll up door with three buttons as discussed earlier…STOP / UP / DOWN…
In the quote, you mentioned to change the 2 lines to 22…
Bulldog brings up a great point though…since it only appears to be one file that will control the delays…I am a little concerned about stretching the delay to 22 seconds to the other 4 garages.

As previously mentioned, I have two bridged Vera’s and the slave Vera is where 3 of the 5 garage doors are located.

If you have a moment, can you give me your input…

Thanks!!

I will release a new version this week with a parameter.

As usual… YOU ROCK!!

Thanks very much…look forward to it…