Vera Memory

Was just thinking about the minimal memory available in VERA. Since it has USB ports and is already using it to store logs to a memory stick one would think that some of the non essential files could be stored on another memory stick to allow more internal memory to be used for other more important things.
Just thinking…

It’s not just the logging that’s the issue, when the logs are zipped and sent to MCV there is also a CPU limitation. The biggger the log file the more demand is put on the CPU.
Personally, I would like the option to disable logging.
Anyone know if that’s possible?

JOD.

@JOD

My settings are reflected by hte screenshot.
Since i have a usb flashdrive attached to vera that stores the logs and i have disables all remote logging to MCV
i think that is what you mean?

Henk

@Henk,

I have the same settings as you. Watching a “top” session I can see that when my logs reach ~20MB (I think this is when the zipping occurs) my %MEM increases to 68% and my CPU: sys jumps to 90%+ and Vera gets unresponsive for a while until that logging space is freed up (uploaded or dumped) occasionally (often) Vera can’t process this zipping or uploading fast enough and she will reboot or things cascade out of control and she cant recover and then I have to do a manual reboot.

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:4, topic:168403”]@Henk,

I have the same settings as you. Watching a “top” session I can see that when my logs reach ~20MB (I think this is when the zipping occurs) my %MEM increases to 68% and my CPU: sys jumps to 90%+ and Vera gets unresponsive for a while until that logging space is freed up (uploaded or dumped) occasionally (often) Vera can’t process this zipping or uploading fast enough and she will reboot or things cascade out of control and she cant recover and then I have to do a manual reboot.

JOD.[/quote]

Caused by your elaborate network with many devices? because my log should do the same in time, but i havent seen the behavious you describe

Don’t get side tracked…There is nothing elaborate, just devices and scenes.
But anyway…Logging could be called CLOGGING (no disrespect)
The logging appears to be clogging my system.

Does logging do ME any good?
I would like the option to disable it.

JOD.

You can manually manipulate what gets logged. And I’m guessing that by specifying a non-existent log level, you effectively can have it log nothing and thus prevent/slow down the rotations.

[quote=“JOD, post:6, topic:168403”]Don’t get side tracked…There is nothing elaborate, just devices and scenes.
But anyway…Logging could be called CLOGGING (no disrespect)
The logging appears to be clogging my system.

Does logging do ME any good?
I would like the option to disable it.

JOD.[/quote]

Didnt mean to get you sidetracked, just thinking WHY your logging is so heavy, thus exploring options what could prevent “clogging” as you state

@ oTi, manually edit what gets logged? how would that work?

PM sent to @JOD, for experiment; for now. (My log file is currently 0 bytes.)

PM sent to @JOD, for experiment; for now. (My log file is currently 0 bytes.)[/quote]
Sweet. Did your Vera slowdowns disappear?

JOD.

I am having issues which I think might be memory related, basically it boils down to inconsistent scene activation or an unresponsive Vera, which occurs once every ten days or so. Of course, I try enabling Verbose Logging (because I am on USB) and Locking it to try and help when I submit a ticket, but Vera ends up unresponsive so I can’t submit a ticket. So I’m with you guys, that I’d like to try killing Support Logs all together and see if that helps. I’d still want logs for the Schlage Locks etc, of course.

So it sounds like the logging can be disabled somehow?
How would it be done?

[quote=“jackpot, post:12, topic:168403”]So it sounds like the logging can be disabled somehow?
How would it be done?[/quote]

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Loglevels

Set LogLevels = 1 to log only critical messages. This reduces the number of messages logged. Also, as it has been stated, set it to an invalid log level and see if any message is logged.

Thanks for the help mcvflorin , I will give it a try !

PM sent to @JOD, for experiment; for now. (My log file is currently 0 bytes.)[/quote]
Sweet. Did your Vera slowdowns disappear?

JOD.[/quote]

You needed a HOWTO on this JOD?

You needed a HOWTO on this JOD?[/quote]
:slight_smile: The HowTo was in the PM, for testing.

You needed a HOWTO on this JOD?[/quote]
:slight_smile: The HowTo was in the PM, for testing.[/quote]

So how will we all benefit :smiley:

So how will we all benefit
Still testing. These are my current settings with Verbose logging off and an uptime of 2 days 20hrs.

LogLevels = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,50 NOW= 1
ImmediatelyFlushLog=0
LogUPnP = 0
#Number of log files to keep
NumberOfCopies= 10 NOW=5
#rotation interval in seconds of log files
RotationInterval= 15 * 60

#Store logs on mcv server at rotation
ArchiveLogsOnServer=1 NOW= 0 (I’m hoping this eliminates the lockups during rotations)

JOD.

@JOD

Great…uptime 2 days sounds promising! Better still, you havent killed loggin indefinite, just reduced the log load. Keep us posted on your experiences!

Ill try and combine your info with the remark @mcvflorin made and create a preliminary HOWTO.

I could use input/reviewinfo from you and @oTI@ once ive posted it to make sure its accurate and not too dangerous for users.

Bah humbug.
Uptime is now 4hrs 20 mins so it’s still rebooting. :-
This puts it around 5:00am my time, at least it didnt interfere with any of my timed events.
Maybe the best thing is just to schedule nightly reboots to avoid lockups or slowdowns during system usage during the day?

I’m going to set everything to -0- and see what happens for now.
oTi@, what’s your experience?

JOD.