Vera lite died, how hard to move to Edge?

I have two Vera Lites in my house, both running UI5. The “main” unit died this weekend. I put a help ticket in but nothing back from them. So I’m thinking about just buying an Edge but have some concerns. Since all my back ups are from a UI5 box that is dead and can’t be updated to UI7, do I lose everything? I have a bunch of PLEG stuff that took me a long time to get working the way I like and stable…that’s really going to hurt if I lose that.

Have you checked everything your currently running will work on the EDGE. Alot of stuff either don’t work on ui7 or don’t work on the EDGE. Check your plugins and devices.

I have checked nothing. I have to buy a new Vera and I figured the new one was the way to go, even knowing how difficult new UI’s can be with MCV. Sounds like you’re saying the safe bet is to just buy another Lite and get on with my life.

How about putting the backup of “main” onto the working veralite, and porting your lesser system to the edge? One thing to check if buying a new vera lite is if the auto update to UI7 can still be avoided.

Every path is potentially painful.

[quote=“dzmiller, post:4, topic:185443”]How about putting the backup of “main” onto the working veralite, and porting your lesser system to the edge? One thing to check if buying a new vera lite is if the auto update to UI7 can still be avoided.

Every path is potentially painful. [/quote]

Bingo, however UI7 would almost guarantee the most pain… ::slight_smile:

[quote=“dzmiller, post:4, topic:185443”]How about putting the backup of “main” onto the working veralite, and porting your lesser system to the edge? One thing to check if buying a new vera lite is if the auto update to UI7 can still be avoided.

Every path is potentially painful.[/quote]

Interesting. So, lose the devices on the secondary and use main backup on it. Then update to UI7 and add an Edge? This is just going to suck isn’t it?

Is it possible to buy another Lite and downgrade it to UI5?

Auto Update UI7 can be done with a phone call to VERA without an issue. Any new VERA will be shipped with ui7 and you may want to downgrade back to UI5.

if VERA lite has enough RAM and you weren’t having issues then LITE is a cheaper way to go. VERA 3 is the most expensive right now and has double the RAM of LITE.

I have an EDGE used for testing and a LITE for my main system. LITE I’m pushing it to hard and I have RAM issues.
The EDGE usb port doesn’t work right and my Alarm panel doesn’t work (fix is on it’s way for the last month). I have 3 garage doors and GATE that use mimolite plugins which don’t work on UI7 yet either. So right now I can’t move my system over or half of the items would’t work.

So EDGE is great for the long run (good price, double the ram of LITE, zwave 500/plus chip), but for today you might be left with less things working. It’s a short term or long term decision you need to make. If you want everything working right and like it was today, then get a LITE or a 3 and run UI5.

Yes a lite or a 3 you can downgrade it and call vera to turn off the auto update flag so it would automatically go back to UI7.

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:7, topic:185443”][quote=“dzmiller, post:4, topic:185443”]How about putting the backup of “main” onto the working veralite, and porting your lesser system to the edge? One thing to check if buying a new vera lite is if the auto update to UI7 can still be avoided.

Auto Update UI7 can be done with a phone call to VERA without an issue. Any new VERA will be shipped with ui7 and you may want to downgrade back to UI5.

if VERA lite has enough RAM and you weren’t having issues then LITE is a cheaper way to go. VERA 3 is the most expensive right now and has double the RAM of LITE.

I have an EDGE used for testing and a LITE for my main system. LITE I’m pushing it to hard and I have RAM issues.
The EDGE usb port doesn’t work right and my Alarm panel doesn’t work (fix is on it’s way for the last month). I have 3 garage doors and GATE that use mimolite plugins which don’t work on UI7 yet either. So right now I can’t move my system over or half of the items would’t work.

So EDGE is great for the long run (good price, double the ram of LITE, zwave 500/plus chip), but for today you might be left with less things working. It’s a short term or long term decision you need to make. If you want everything working right and like it was today, then get a LITE or a 3 and run UI5.[/quote]

Most of my plug-ins are pretty simple, cams (that have never worked anyway) multi-switch, virtual switch, weather etc. The big one for me is PLEG though. I use it for almost everything. It is worth it to me to go with another LITE if EDGE doesn’t support it today.

If you have a backup … I can walk you through how to extract much of the PLEG data.
I do not think that many people use the backup feature of PLEG … but saving a backup of your configuration also makes it pretty easy to recover large parts of your PLEG. I may add some more work and support an IMPORT … not just a RESTORE, an IMPORT would be used when any of the INPUT or ACTION devices IDs change.

EDGE supports PLEG, MultiSwitch and weather. I also use cameras with BLUE Iris in EDGE. So all that is working.

So I still haven’t heard from MCV so I decided to just buy a new LITE and use a backup. It came in last night and it actually has the correct UI on it (UI5) but I’ve hit another snag. I don’t have a local copy of my latest backup. How do I get a copy that is on the “Server Backup”? I put another ticket in but my experience with MCV support is, they don’t respond to tickets about 75% of the time so I’m not optimistic that they’re going to help much.

I always call VERA. Support tickets are hard to get a response from, emails are a little better, but phone calls seem to get them to anwser right away or get a return call within a few hours. So if you haven’t called them I would say that should be first!

Fixed. MCV called and emailed and we eventually got the back ups. Thank you MCV for the support!