Vera extroot

A 2.5" SSD drive should run quite happily from the Vera’s USB port

C

[quote=“Catman, post:41, topic:199691”]A 2.5" SSD drive should run quite happily from the Vera’s USB port

C[/quote]

Yes these usually do not consume enough power to be a problem. There is a spike current when you plug some in which may cause the vera to reboot though (SSD draws too much current for a short time causing the CPU not to have enough power so it shuts off). So what you want to do is to have it plugged in before you start the vera. If like me, for testing you have to plug and unplug the SSD frequently then use a powered hub. That’s how I went around the problem.

Anyone tried this extroot on a Veralite?

@rafale77 is the script compatible with the Veralite?

I have a USB SATA adapter on the way, just need to pick up an SSD drive.

The script will be slightly different because of the older OS. I will get you one when you’ll be ready to test it out.

[quote=“Catman, post:41, topic:199691”]A 2.5" SSD drive should run quite happily from the Vera’s USB port

C[/quote]

I already have a rfxtrx433e on the USB port, so that would be:

rfxtrx433e - 45 mA
ssd drive - 307 mA
TOTAL------352 mA

the standard USB 2.0 output is 500mA, so it shoult be ok with a 352mA consumption.
anyways, that’s from the tech spec sheets. i’ll see how it goes in real world and report back.

rafale77 and Catman thank you so much for this. Vera’s Achilles’ heel is the storage. Putting aside it is so small that i’t almost useless, that’s what usually goes wrong and renders the unit broken beyond repair; the storage getting corrupted, or reaching the end of read/write cycles. So this extroot trick is pure gold.

[quote=“calinutz, post:45, topic:199691”][quote=“Catman, post:41, topic:199691”]A 2.5" SSD drive should run quite happily from the Vera’s USB port

C[/quote]

I already have a rfxtrx433e on the USB port, so that would be:

rfxtrx433e - 45 mA
ssd drive - 307 mA
TOTAL------352 mA

the standard USB 2.0 output is 500mA, so it shoult be ok with a 352mA consumption.
anyways, that’s from the tech spec sheets. i’ll see how it goes in real world and report back.

rafale77 and Catman thank you so much for this. Vera’s Achilles’ heel is the storage. Putting aside it is so small that i’t almost useless, that’s what usually goes wrong and renders the unit broken beyond repair; the storage getting corrupted, or reaching the end of read/write cycles. So this extroot trick is pure gold.[/quote]

Yep you should be good at that, but might have an issue when you go to boot. As the man says, make sure it’s all plugged in before you start.

Rafale is the expert here, I’m just the supporting act :wink:

C

Reporting back as promised:

With the ssd attached the script worked perfectly the very first time i tried (compared to the usb stick, when i ran the script three or four times to get it to work).
vera’s usb provides enough amps to keep both the rfxtrx433e and the ssd happy and running smoothly. no issues while booting, or running whatsoever.
I’ve done several restarts, and it mounted and pivoted right every time. It’s been up for 24 hours now, and it’s been very stable.

and again, i can’t stress this enough:
Thank you so much ! Pure gold, mate, pure gold !

Excellent to hear. Thanks for letting everyone know!

C

[quote=“calinutz, post:47, topic:199691”]Reporting back as promised:

With the ssd attached the script worked perfectly the very first time i tried (compared to the usb stick, when i ran the script three or four times to get it to work).
vera’s usb provides enough amps to keep both the rfxtrx433e and the ssd happy and running smoothly. no issues while booting, or running whatsoever.
I’ve done several restarts, and it mounted and pivoted right every time. It’s been up for 24 hours now, and it’s been very stable.

and again, i can’t stress this enough:
Thank you so much ! Pure gold, mate, pure gold ![/quote]

Happy to it worked out for you!

Just brought up a brand new Vera Plus on a 128GB M.2 drive in a USB stick enclosure. I’ve spent more time making coffee than getting that going. Kudos!

Firmware out of the box says it’s 1.7.4150…

4150? is it a 7.0.28? This is new…

[quote=“rigpapa, post:50, topic:199691”]Just brought up a brand new Vera Plus on a 128GB M.2 drive in a USB stick enclosure. I’ve spent more time making coffee than getting that going. Kudos!

Firmware out of the box says it’s 1.7.4150…[/quote]
I’ve been running on a 128GB SSD in a SATA/USB enclosure since August. No issues. The M.2 SSD in a USB form factor sounds great!

Interesting, my Vera PLus says this: You are running the latest version 1.7.4001

That was the last version Vera posted prior to the acquisition. I wonder what’s up with the firmware you have?

Might have known you’d beat me to the punch! :wink:

Yeah, surprised me too… I’m poking around…

poking around… I was able to find the URL for it:

http://dl.mios.com/firmware/mt7621/mios/release/mt7621_Luup_ui7-1.7.4150-en-mios.squashfs

[quote=“rafale77, post:55, topic:199691”]poking around… I was able to find the URL for it:

http://dl.mios.com/firmware/mt7621/mios/release/mt7621_Luup_ui7-1.7.4150-en-mios.squashfs[/quote]
This is certainly interesting…no sign of release notes.

I am extracting it and putting it on my test emulator…

So far I found that the firmware was compiled on 9/20/2018.
The Luup engine is slightly bigger and it is has 3 new device files:

D_PhilioPanicButton.json.lzo
D_CentralSceneController1.json.lzo
D_CentralSceneController_Swipe.json.lzo

It has also a few new user binaries which I have not figured out what they do but do not seem very important.

The plot thickings… 8) :o ::slight_smile:

Great & interestings posts lately I must admit about the internals of these devices and how to make 'em more stable. Thanks for that input.
My VeraPlus is actually pretty solid (for what I used it) although I would love to see some major UI7/Luup overhauling soon.
I’m not yet at the point to apply your partitioning-fixes/migrations as I still seem to have enough storage space in general for what it does.

Great work!

Well, they made an announcement that version 7.0.29 will be coming soon, so maybe this 7.0.28 is one they put on new shipments only?

Who knows? Well, I know who knows, but they did not share.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:59, topic:199691”]Well, they made an announcement that version 7.0.29 will be coming soon, so maybe this 7.0.28 is one they put on new shipments only?

Who knows? Well, I know who knows, but they did not share.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

It looks like the UI has some changes to camera support, but since I don’t use any cameras with Vera, I can’t speak to their effect. I don’t think it’s too unusual for manufacturers to ship devices with firmware that isn’t in general release/announcement with just a few fixes they deem important enough, but hey, at least now we have an explanation for the gap in release numbering! :slight_smile: My guess: the recent rash of new product startup/upgrade failures/bricking prompted them to make some changes to the process and that’s reflected in this version somewhere. I’m going to do a compare on their scripts and see what turns up.