Vera and Davis Wireless Weather Station

[..] I would hope z-wave can handle a wee bit of interference
Me too. :) Seems ok for me with WiFi/DECT/GSM/Bluetooth sharing the ether.[/quote]This reminded me of a question. While looking to replace my weather station selected the Davis Vantage Pro2 but put it on hold after noticing it operates in the same frequency band as Z-Wave. Weather station (US version uses US radio frequency from 902 to 928 MHz) Z-Wave Radio uses the 900 MHz ISM band: 908.42 MHz (United States)

Anyone using this weather station and Vera or know if it will cause problems?

JOD.

The Weather Station is probably the least of your worries if you live in a large neighborhood where tons of other devices may be causing a lot of noise.

@strangely…Hey buddy…
I havent had any interference issues with Vera that I am aware of, but since this device would be operating close to Vera and in the same frequency band thought it may pose a bigger issue. I have a question into Davis just for the hell of it…

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:1, topic:168435”]Weather station (US version uses US radio frequency from 902 to 928 MHz)
Z-Wave Radio uses the 900 MHz ISM band: 908.42 MHz (United States)
Anyone using this weather station and Vera or know if it will cause problems?[/quote]

Wish I could help… I have both in the same room, but since that room is in Australia both frequencies are different (921 MHz for Zwave and 433 MHz for the Vantage). Needless to say, I have no interference…

Hi Futzle-

I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 and Vera has worked without any problem. I have 25+ z-wave devices installed.

Don

Great! It appears the U.S. version does frequency hopping, so would never be ‘in the way’ all the time (if at all), I assume.

See also: It's science, but it works like magic.: Davis VP2 for truly heroic Davis hacking efforts.

No kidding. Nice find. Gotta read more, but like that logic analyzer!

No kidding. Nice find. Gotta read more, but like that logic analyzer![/quote]

You mean the $16 Pink one, I think I’ll be getting that on eBay soon myself (saving the embarrassment of buying it in the store).

Edit: How can the Davis Vantage Pro2 be $600 and not have any interface to a PC?!?

Remember that the base station (the device that displays the weather) does not transmit. Its that outside weather equipment that is transmitting. So there should be quite a bit of distance between your Vera and the Davis weather transmissions.

I have one of my base stations sitting right above my Vera. I have never seen any issues receiving the weather signal.

[quote=“Don Diego, post:5, topic:168435”]hi -
I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 and Vera has worked without any problem. I have 25+ wave devices installed.[/quote]Don, you’ve had more Z-Wave issues than anyone I know. Maybe it’s the weather station? ;D

[quote=“shady, post:9, topic:168435”]Edit: How can the Davis Vantage Pro2 be $600 and not have any interface to a PC?[/quote] $385 there is a software package available that ties it in to a PC or Mac, It will also upload the data to the Internet & you become a blip on the map.

[quote=“aa6vh, post:10, topic:168435”]I have one of my base stations sitting right above my Vera. I have never seen any issues receiving the weather signal.[/quote]I was more concerned with my Vera data become corrupt or devices malfunctioning but it seems there shouldn’t be any issues so time to order one.

Thanks All
JOD.

Oh boy! Backup made, dongle and Vera cloned; all stored off-site, I presume? :stuck_out_tongue: ;D

So what sort of interface to the PC does the base station station display?

I have a Davis Weather station console on top of the cabinet with the Vera and have no problems. I am not sure about the protocols but the station is the transmitter and is outside. I don’t know if the console itself transmits except obviously when it is in “repeater” mode to retransmit to other consoles.

There is an optional serial or USB interface for the console to connect it to a computer where they have provide some Windows software.

I use some Perl based software off the net and a diskless Linux PC to read my data and push it to Wunderground: [url=http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNHNASHU20]http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNHNASHU20[/url]

I have been interested in in some LUUP to read the temperature from the linux system and make some decisions about turning fans on or off depending on the inside and outside temperatures. Indoor temperature is already available on the Z-wave thermostat. Anyone else done something similar?

jv

[quote=“newts, post:14, topic:168435”]I have a Davis Weather station console on top of the cabinet with the Vera and have no problems. I am not sure about the protocols but the station is the transmitter and is outside. I don’t know if the console itself transmits except obviously when it is in “repeater” mode to retransmit to other consoles.

There is an optional serial or USB interface for the console to connect it to a computer where they have provide some Windows software.

I use some Perl based software off the net and a diskless Linux PC to read my data and push it to Wunderground: [url=http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNHNASHU20]http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNHNASHU20[/url]

I have been interested in in some LUUP to read the temperature from the linux system and make some decisions about turning fans on or off depending on the inside and outside temperatures. Indoor temperature is already available on the Z-wave thermostat. Anyone else done something similar?

jv[/quote]If it was serial (and compatible with Vera) then I’d buy one if someone wrote a plugin.

It is serial. The protocol is here.

That said, it’s a pretty lengthy protocol and I think it would be hard to write a Lua plugin that speaks all of it. It may also put undue load on the Vera. Also, I’ve already got 24/7 software connected to my Davis station running my weather web site, so its serial port is already used up.

Better might be to use an intermediary. One obvious one is to use the Weather Underground feeds. I bet lots of us feed our weather observations up to wunderground (I do). That would work for people who have different brands of weather station too, as well as people who don’t have a weather station but live close to someone who does. Another possibility, avoiding the Internet, is to use wview’s socket-based feed.

Inspiring stuff @futzle! Where do you folks find the time. Thanks, not, @JOD for bringing this up.

@Ap15e, can I safely assume the plug-in will be ready by Sunday? :wink:

Are you saying that the software package is $385 to hook it to a PC or that you can get the Davis Vantage Pro2 for that price (if so link please) and the software is free? In California we don’t have any much weather, so I’m wondering if my $40 wireless weather/clock needs to be replaced with this thing (like @Strangely I can’t resist buying another thing to hang off Vera).

"Our current low price for the Davis 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2 Weather Station is $384.99.

To purchase this item at this price, click this link:
http://www.scientificsales.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6152&e=Y
Thank you for shopping at Scientific Sales, Inc…"

FYI. Home Automation System Connectivity
New! Integrate Weather Exchange into your Home Automation System and more. Weather Exchange outputs a real-time comma seperated value (csv) text file that can be easily integrated into almost any PC application >more info http://www.ambientweather.com/homeseer.html

Not sure what the above reference is yet as I just found it. It may be something like @guessed Google Weather Plugin and not “Your” weather station…Still investigting.

*Edit. Free software: http://www.ambientweather.com/weex1.html
*Edit. Internet software: Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition Email Registration (discontinued)
*Edit. Free Homeseer script Download Free Script (exe format) 1.3KB
Download Here » http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/homeseer/vwswx.zip (this looks hackable)

JOD.

[quote=“futzle, post:16, topic:168435”]It is serial. The protocol is here.

It may also put undue load on the Vera.[/quote] I think most of us are past that stage, and have almost killed the old girl already (especially @JOD) :wink:
Roll on a pro model with more resources!

Another possibility, avoiding the Internet
On a serious note, my main want/need for this would be to use as a trigger to retract my awning when Windy and extend when Sunny; using general data available from websites etc doesn't really account for really local gusts etc.