Vera Alert for Garage Door Opened and Closed

Hi folks,

I am successfully receiving pushover notifications when my Garage door tilt sensor triggers however it often sends an alert when the door closes too (not always though).

The scene used to create the notification is set to:
“Whenever Garage Door Sensor is armed and detects motion”
It simply executes the following luup code:

luup.call_action("urn:richardgreen:serviceId:VeraAlert1", "SendAlert", {Message = "Garage door opened at {DateTime(CurrentTime,%A %B %d, %Y at %H:%M)}", Recipients = "delbz"}, 16)

I have also tried setting the trigger to “Whenever Garage Door Sensor is armed and stops detecting motion” but that doesn’t solve the problem.

I’d like the notification to only trigger wine the garage door opens OR for the pushover notification to state whether it it has just ‘opened’ or ‘closed’. Any configuration or code tips?

Tilt sensors can bounce … (that’s what electrical engineers call it) when the switch is supposed to close … because of mechanical vibration … when the switch is closing … it might do a "close, open, close … sequence very fast … and the detector might actually send events to Vera.

I had 2 tilt sensors and they were nothing but problems… used both for months in two different homes - CO & AZ, so it was not a weather/temp issue either. They are just not reliable IMO.
If you continue to have issues, I suggest getting a Liftmaster MyQ. They are more money (buy from ebay) but they work 1000000x better and provide many more features - and have been 100% reliable for me for 5 months in both warm and cold weather.

[quote=“Aaron, post:3, topic:184078”]I had 2 tilt sensors and they were nothing but problems… used both for months in two different homes - CO & AZ, so it was not a weather/temp issue either. They are just not reliable IMO.
If you continue to have issues, I suggest getting a Liftmaster MyQ. They are more money (buy from ebay) but they work 1000000x better and provide many more features - and have been 100% reliable for me for 5 months in both warm and cold weather.[/quote]

My tilt sensor gives me issues as well. It seems random. I’m going back to a regular door/window sensor as I never had any issues with it reporting incorrectly. Faster notifications too.

I use a tilt sensor mounted to the top panel of the door in conjunction with an isolated contact relay and the garage door plugin. It’s working great for me. I have a reminder set to notify my girlfriend when she leaves and forgets to put the door down:

[code]local allow = true
local GarageD = luup.variable_get(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DoorLock1”,“Status”, 51)
local speakMessage = “Check the garage door please… it is still up {tone:tts} {picture(98)}”

luup.call_action(“urn:richardgreen:serviceId:VeraAlert1”, “SendAlert”, {Message = speakMessage, Recipients = “Girlfriend,Me”}, 47)

return ((GarageD == “0”) == allow)[/code]

I call this scene on a delay after the alarm is armed.