Vera 3 Slow Scene Execution

I have a 4 different scenes which are triggered by different Leviton 4-scene controllers. Each scene is available from multiple locations and run as a simple scene. The scene turns on or off 15+/- lights and devises on the main Vera 3 and another another 10+ on a Vera 2 connected via Ethernet as a UPnP device. The Vera 2 executes immediately all items without delay. The Vera 3 executes 5(ish) controls, then waits for feed back (or something) then another 5, delay, then another 5. It takes a couple of minutes to complete the scene, whereas the Vera 2 sends all in one blast.

Why, and how can I fix this? The same scene running on the old Vera 2 was flawless.

Just gathering some more data:
Are Vera 2 and Vera 3 running the same firmware?
Are any Leviton, or other scene capable devices, part of the scenes?
Are the scene controllers part of Vera 3’s Z-Wave network?
Are the scenes defined on Vera 3?

First of all, the speed issue has been present since i upgraded to Vera 3 from 2 based on the backup files. The Vera 2 does great with commanding the nodes, but does not have enough processing power to run the timing logics, virtual switches and combination switches on UI5. I also run a USB swap file on this unit. The Vera 3 is “stock”.

Answers below:
Just gathering some more data:
Are Vera 2 and Vera 3 running the same firmware?

• Yes, the latest available.

Are any Leviton, or other scene capable devices, part of the scenes?

• Yes, but they only trigger a scene on the Vera3. This worked fine on the 2.

Are the scene controllers part of Vera 3’s Z-Wave network?

• The scene controller triggers a scene on the Vera3. This was so slow that I split the Zwave network over the 2 controllers. The portion that I moved over to the old Vera2 is executed immediately. Devices left behind on the Vera3 executes 5 (approximately) at the time.

Are the scenes defined on Vera 3?

• Yes. All scenes and logic runs on the Vera3. The old Vera2 receives commands from Vera3 via Ethernet. One Vera is mounted on each side of the house and controls nodes closest to respective controller to minimize the number of hops. All 4 scene Leviton nodes are connected to Vera3.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks for that. IIUC, you do have Leviton (or other scene capable) devices (i.e. dimmers, switches) in the mix; I’m wondering how they are split between Vera 2 and Vera 3.

Does Vera 3 have any Leviton dimmers/switches?
Does Vera 2 have any Leviton dimmers/switches?
Do the LEDs on the scene controllers track the state of the scenes properly?
Is running a scene directly from Vera 3 slow also?

Just gathering data here. User @aschwalb has a big multi-bridged-Vera deployment and may be able to compare to your situation / shed some light on this.

Answers below:

Thanks for that. IIUC, you do have Leviton (or other scene capable) devices (i.e. dimmers, switches) in the mix; I’m wondering how they are split between Vera 2 and Vera 3.

• Only Leviton equipment are the 4 scene wall devices. All connected to Vera 3 running scenes in Vera 3.

Does Vera 3 have any Leviton dimmers/switches?

• Only the 4 button scene controllers from Leviton. Otherwise other brands for dimmer and switches.

Does Vera 2 have any Leviton dimmers/switches?

• No. Only other brands.

Do the LEDs on the scene controllers track the state of the scenes properly?

• Never has.

Is running a scene directly from Vera 3 slow also?

• Same. Vera 2 is quick. Vera 3 commands 5’ish devices then pauses. Does not matter if originated from scene controller or UI5.

Just gathering data here. User @aschwalb has a big multi-bridged-Vera deployment and may be able to compare to your situation / shed some light on this.

• Thanks for the interest.

I read this and thought I’d add that I am having the same experience with delays running longer scene’s. Most of our switches are GE and or Homesettings and the network is reasonably large. I have been watching the dashboard as I ran our “Go to Bed” scene as its turning everything off and involves the most devices. I can confirm that it seems to execute in “chunks” of devices and keeps getting held up waiting to hear a reply from certain nodes (which operate perfectly when on their own and have good signal strength on the repair report. Initially it would start the scene execution and you would see a handful of lights go out and then nothing. Sometimes it would complete the scene, other times it would just time out waiting to hear back from a node. I then broke the scene down with 5 second delays and groups of 4-5 devices and it runs better but still not perfect. Now the devices all turn off okay, but when you look at the dashboard, Vera is usually waiting to hear back from something - it’s almost like she misses the reply and can’t seem to communicate with the node. I have had to create 3 scenes with 3 delayed attempts at closing the garage doors to make sure they close at night because it was always getting hung up on the first communication and then not executing the rest of the scene and I’d find the doors open. We are running a Vera3 with the latest firmware installed. The system was built from the ground up last May, but did suffer a failure once after adding a new device and had to be restored from a backup by Micasaverde because my attempts to restore it were futile. Based on the fact that our networks are very different and involve diff devices (I have no Leviton switches) I think the issue is def with Vera. I just assumed that was how she executed scenes and found it frustrating until I came across this post. Let me know if there is anything we should be doing to correct the problem. Thanks

I’ve got the exact same behaviour when using an all on / all off scene. The lights are a combination of switches and dimmers. It seems to switch the devices on or off in ‘batches’ for lack of a better term. Is the expected behaviour?

Same here… execute the scene, takes a minute or two to turn off all lights. Never seemed right to me, glad this is being addressed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I am having the same challenge - really slow response time, generally poor performance and honestly about ready to throw out $1000s in devices and time because this doesnt seem ready for prime time.

First I would try each and every device singly from the dashboard. Heals are done in the middle of the night, and the environment is different then.

If everything does well, then I would recreate the scene, and slowly add to it. Don’t throw all the devices in at once. Start small and work your way up. I have also found it is better to segment the large scenes into different delays, separated by 10 seconds or so.

Also, if you have any locks, I have found that you should never send commands to 2 locks at the same time. My first lock command is at +10 seconds, and my second lock is at +20 seconds. If I try to put then at the same time, performance takes a big hit.

As time has gone by, it seems (maybe w firmware upgrades?) that my Vera3 has caught on and is now working as expected. The network has certainly healed many times since initial installation and split between the two Vera’s.

I find that if I command a module from IRule Audio Visual remote software, the change is next to instantaneous and certainly without hesitation. If I use UI5 it takes a second or two. Scenes, of course, runs from Vera and seems to be working much better.

With this said, any snags in the network causes a major slowdown as Vera bogs down in processing this.

I cool solution could be the Vera “brain” running on a Raspberry Pi as a central processor and using Vera(s) as a buffered zwave communication device.

Sorry for digging up an old topic, if anyone is still monitoring this thread has there been a solid solution?
Iv recently been experiencing a similar problem with my veralite running my hallway lights (2 of) on and off by a moron sensor.
It was working fine a few weeks ago however my aeon bulbs were getting the secure device warning so i decided to unpair them and re pair in secure mode. success with this as all of my errors on the devices went away.
however after reconfiguring my scene for the new device IDs it seems one of the lights hangs upon execution. quite annoying when fumbling in the dark waiting for the “Automation”.
interesting point to note, the light that is hanging is the one physically closest to my veralite and the one that is at the other end of the house (furthest device from my controller in the house) responds almost instantly.
I may try deleting the original scene and rebuilding it.
any info on the fix for this sort of behaviour greatly appreciated!