(Vera 3 R.I.P.) Best way to migrate my PLEGS to vera Edge

I was on 1.5.622 on my Vera 3 when she suddenly died (beyond repair) when saving a PLEG that I altered.

First I thought I was going to replace her with a new Vera 3. The reason is that I prioritize stability over other things… Even though I always found my “beloved” Vera 3 had new kind of surprises for me lurking every morning.

I was lucky enough to borrow a spare Vera 3 from a friend for a single day so I could upgrade my recent 1.5.622 backup to the infamous UI7 (On Vera 3) before I had to return it. It went quite well but Vera complained about some devices were not present (they were present before) and some PLEG triggers were auto removed. Nothing really worked and I was unable to test things because my PLEG licenses were not valid on the new Vera. I saw among other things that all my conditions seemed to be blank (in the condition editor) but they appeared in the advanced settings.

My decision was to replace the deceased unit with a Vera Edge. (is not it contradictory when I said I prioritize stability?) I based my decision on that I believe the new hardware that Vera Edge introduces will be prioritized by MCV in the future and that I would have to get on the UI7-train sooner or later (even though I was hoping for later). The good news is that I make daily backups. Bad news is that I did not do daily PLEG-backups. Nearly all the logics is contained in 4 PLEGS. I wish that I also took daily PLEG backups. Anyway I have PLEG backups from 26 November which is not that bad really.

Now I would like to take advantage of your knowledge and experience regarding what is the best way to restore my home automation when my new Vera Edge unit arrives tomorrow. Which is my best option?

[ol][li]Should I try to restore my somewhat crippled backup from the Vera 3 running 1.7.439 on my new vera Edge Running 1.7.xx
[/li]
[li]Should I start over with a fresh installation, excluding and including all my 30 Z-Wave devices from the beginning. This involves a not inconsiderable effort (+20 hours tedious work??) but from my experience upgrading different kind of system it might probably provide the most stable and clean option.[/li][/ol]

Regardless of what option above that I choose, Is there a way to restore the PLEGS from the Vera backups that I made so that I wont lose the changes made after 26 November?

I appreciate your kind help. @RichardT, I will buy You a couple of beers.

From what I understand.
You can restore from a UI5 backup onto UI7 … but it looses all of the Z-Wave devices.
It DOES restore your PLugins.

The ability to migrate the Z-Wave network from a VeraLite/Vera3 seems to not work.
Probably because the of the new Z-Wave chip in the Vera Edge.
So you will have to exclude/include all of your Z-Wave devices.

Since Device IDs will likely change … you will need to update (Delete/Add) all of your Scene triggers and PLEG/PLTS inputs that refer to Z-Wave devices. And replace all of your actions!

[hr]
Sorry to say … you would probably be better off starting from Scratch.
Hopefully you have a PDF report of your PLEG/PLTS Logic and if your use Vera Alerts … a report of your notification configuration.

You can Copy/Paste the conditions and schedules from the backupfile into the new PLEGS into the advanced tab of a PLEG … and then just start editing the rest of the PLEG info.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:2, topic:184592”]From what I understand.
You can restore from a UI5 backup onto UI7 … but it looses all of the Z-Wave devices.
It DOES restore your PLugins.

The ability to migrate the Z-Wave network from a VeraLite/Vera3 seems to not work.
Probably because the of the new Z-Wave chip in the Vera Edge.
So you will have to exclude/include all of your Z-Wave devices.

Since Device IDs will likely change … you will need to update (Delete/Add) all of your Scene triggers and PLEG/PLTS inputs that refer to Z-Wave devices. And replace all of your actions!

[hr]
Sorry to say … you would probably be better off starting from Scratch.
Hopefully you have a PDF report of your PLEG/PLTS Logic and if your use Vera Alerts … a report of your notification configuration.

You can Copy/Paste the conditions and schedules from the backupfile into the new PLEGS into the advanced tab of a PLEG … and then just start editing the rest of the PLEG info.[/quote]

Thanks.

But I would probably be able to restore my PLEG backups into newly created plegs, won’t I?

You can … but you have to delete/recreate all of the triggers and device properties as well as all of the actions.
The only thing that cab be saved is the:
Conditions
Schedules
Comments
Notifications

The rest have references to device IDs that will likely change.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:4, topic:184592”]You can … but you have to delete/recreate all of the triggers and device properties as well as all of the actions.
The only thing that cab be saved is the:
Conditions
Schedules
Comments
Notifications

The rest have references to device IDs that will likely change.[/quote]

That’s not so bad so I think I’ll do that.

I made my friend come here one more and I restored my old backup and made some preparations. I had to buy a couple of licenses just to make a backup of the PLEGS but it’s worth it. Thanks. ;D

I was lucky to find this thread so now it’s up and running.

I need to restore a single PLEG from a backup but nothing seems to happen when I click the restore button on the PLEG. (I’ve already uploaded the backup file)

There is a bug In UI7 that does not actually call the backup. (Same for Restore)
I have fixed it already … but I cant release changes to the App store because it’s broken! Waiting on MCV for over 1 week.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:7, topic:184592”]There is a bug In UI7 that does not actually call the backup. (Same for Restore)
I have fixed it already … but I cant release changes to the App store because it’s broken! Waiting on MCV for over 1 week.[/quote]

Can You consider making the necessary files available for download from elsewhere so I can install the new version manually? :wink:

To complicated to explain …
You can do the action manually:

http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/port_3480/data_request?id=lu_action&DeviceNum=DDDD&serviceId=urn:rts-services-com:serviceId:ProgramLogicC&action=Restore&fileName=FFFFFF

Where DDDD is the PLEG device# of the device to restore into …
and FFFFFF is the filename

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:7, topic:184592”]There is a bug In UI7 that does not actually call the backup. (Same for Restore)
I have fixed it already … but I cant release changes to the App store because it’s broken! Waiting on MCV for over 1 week.[/quote]

Is there any news from MCV as to when you can upload the changes?
Cheers

This was corrected months ago.
Have you updated your Program Logic Plugins ?

It’s a brand new vera edge, I installed the plugins this morning.
The buttons are there and when I click on ‘Backup’ I get a spinning wheel for a few seconds but nothing else happens

ive tried it in Firefox, Chrome and IE, none work
just to clarify I’m running vera firmware version 1.7.961 (had major association issues with 1.7.1018 so rolled back to 1.7.961 but that hasne helped as I still cant associate fibaro relays and switches properly) and both PLEG and PLC are at version 7.41

as it’s a fresh install I don’t have that many devices transfered from vera lite, current devlist is as follows
Device List on Fri Mar 27 19:30:29 2015

Num Id Parent Device-Type Device-Name

002 1 001 SceneController _Scene Controller
003 5 001 MotionSensor kitchen PIR
004 m1 003 TemperatureSensor kitchen temp
005 m3 003 LightSensor kitchen light
006 m5 003 HumiditySensor kitchen humidity
007 3 001 MotionSensor bedroom 3 PIR
008 m1 007 TemperatureSensor bedroom 3 temp
009 m3 007 LightSensor bedroom 3 light
010 m5 007 HumiditySensor bedroom 3 humidity
011 9 001 DimmableLight Main Lights
012 8 001 DimmableLight Spot Lights
013 10 001 BinaryLight Landing 3
014 e1 013 BinaryLight _Appliance Module
015 e2 013 BinaryLight Landing 3 S2
016 11 001 DimmableLight Bathroom3 Light
017 12 001 BinaryLight Bathroom3 Mirror
018 e1 017 BinaryLight _Appliance Module
019 e2 017 BinaryLight Bathroom3 PIR
027 2 001 DimmableLight Bathroom 2 Halo
028 15 001 BinaryLight Dressing Room Lights
029 e1 028 BinaryLight _Appliance Module
030 e2 028 BinaryLight Bathroom 2 Mirror
033 16 001 DimmableLight Bedroom 2 Light
034 17 001 BinaryLight Bathroom 2 PIR
035 e1 034 BinaryLight _Appliance Module
036 e2 034 BinaryLight Bathroom 2 PIR S2
037 18 001 BinaryLight Landing 2
038 e1 037 BinaryLight _Appliance Module
039 e2 037 BinaryLight Landing 1.5
040 7 001 DimmableLight Bedroom 3 LH Read
041 6 001 DimmableLight Bedroom 3 RH read

Any ideas why it’s not working?

One thing to try is to force-update PLEG and PLC. Do them in that order. Then reload/refresh and see what you get.

The update command for PLEG:

http://<veraip>:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3066

The update command for PLC:

http://<veraip>:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3086

REBOOT your Vera … I have seen my edge have a problem reading recently changed files … it appears to read previous (cached) versions of the file.

If you do not know how to login remotely to do a reboot … then cycle the power!

Hi Richard, I’ve followed both your advice and Rex’s and I was going to say it’s not worked as all I have on the screen is ‘Report’ and ‘Status’ HOWEVER, I noticed at the last minute that the layout of the screen has changed with a horizontal menu with inputs/conditions/actions OTHER and Back
Out of curiosity I clicked ‘Other’ and found the Backup/Restore Option.
I clicked backup, added the date to the default file name and clicked Backup but didn’t get a confirmation as I did with UI5
a) should I get confirmation and
b) I’ve gone into vera via ssh expecting to see the file in the www folder, where is the backup saved so as I can check to see if it worked?

Many thanks for your support in getting me one step closer.
Philip

P.S I had to cycle the power as I searched on how to reboot via remote login but couldn’t figure out how to.

[UPDATE]
ignore b) I used the winSCP find function and found PLEG-26-Backup-2015-03-28.lua.lzo file in .etc/cmg-ludl/ directory. I went ahead and change the PLEG (added a new trigger) then tried to restore the aforementioned backup. I didn’t get a confirmation that the Restore was successful and when I went back to inputs the new trigger was still there indicating that the Restore didn’t work.
[UPDATE 2]
Figured I’d Reload Luup and do a Ctrl+F5 the new trigger has gone so I assume the Restore worked after all.

I’m guessing you’re fighting with UI7 to get confirmation of Backup/Resore. It might be worth while for Newbies like myself to add a note to the Backup/Restore screens telling us what to do to overcome the UI7 limitations (everything worked on UI5 so I know the problem ball isn’t in your court).

FYI, it happened again, (PLEG reverting to the old screen and backup/restore not working) I’m assuming it was because of the automatic update to version 7.43.
So I had to do the same as before

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:14, topic:184592”]One thing to try is to force-update PLEG and PLC. Do them in that order. Then reload/refresh and see what you get.

The update command for PLEG:

http://<veraip>:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3066

The update command for PLC:

http://<veraip>:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3086

Power down Vera Lite, do a Ctrl+F5 of the browser and restart the LUA Engine

Is this going to happen every time there is an update to PLEG?