Vera 3 as a switch

Ok, so I just got my Vera 3 and, even though the dinky instruction sheet they send you with the unit says access point mode is supported, IT DOESN’T WORK. :cry:

I don’t know why, after a year of putting up with a buggy device and crappy support from MCV I trusted them to be any better with Vera 3. Back in the box it goes to be sent in for a refund.

Don’t buy a Vera 3 if you intend it to replace a Vera 2 that DID support access point mode.

Access point mode is supported. However, it will only work on the subnet of Vera e.g. 192.168.81. It will not allow you to be on the same subnet as the other network.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:22, topic:172110”]Access point mode is supported. However, it will only work on the subnet of Vera e.g. 192.168.81. It will not allow you to be on the same subnet as the other network.

• Garrett[/quote]

That’s a router, not an access point. An access point is a bridge, and should be transparent to attached device. My Vera 2 acts as a true access point; the IP cameras connect to the Vera 2 but the DHCP requests are passed directly through Vera to the main router, and the IP addresses assigned are on the main router’s subnet. This is necessary for the IP cameras to be connected to Vera and be accessible from the Internet via port forwarding on the main router.

If you know a method to port forward the cameras while they are on a subnet under the Vera 3, and not on the main router’s subnet, then please let me know.

Thank you for that, as this is the original question and topic for this thread.

It does sound like Vera3 can’t do this presently.

It also sounds like perhaps it can’t be done at all with the new electronics inside?

[quote=“ufd108, post:23, topic:172110”][quote=“garrettwp, post:22, topic:172110”]Access point mode is supported. However, it will only work on the subnet of Vera e.g. 192.168.81. It will not allow you to be on the same subnet as the other network.

• Garrett[/quote]

That’s a router, not an access point. An access point is a bridge, and should be transparent to attached device. My Vera 2 acts as a true access point; the IP cameras connect to the Vera 2 but the DHCP requests are passed directly through Vera to the main router, and the IP addresses assigned are on the main router’s subnet. This is necessary for the IP cameras to be connected to Vera and be accessible from the Internet via port forwarding on the main router.

If you know a method to port forward the cameras while they are on a subnet under the Vera 3, and not on the main router’s subnet, then please let me know.[/quote]

[quote=“garrettwp, post:22, topic:172110”]Access point mode is supported. However, it will only work on the subnet of Vera e.g. 192.168.81. It will not allow you to be on the same subnet as the other network.

• Garrett[/quote]

:o

That is really not good news for me…

Does the Vera subnet go NAT? Or can one use real routing?

e.g.
Vera subnet 192.168.1.x
Main subnet 192.168.0.x

Can I setup my main router to route packets to the 192.168.1.x network through Vera3 (vera is Gateway)?

If not (if only NAT) I think I need to cancel my upgrade order… :frowning:

Thank’s everyone for hi-lighting this shortcoming of Vera3.

[quote=“Caffreyboy, post:24, topic:172110”]Thank you for that, as this is the original question and topic for this thread.

It also sounds like perhaps it can’t be done at all with the new electronics inside?[/quote]

It’s not a function of the hardware inside, it’s the implementation. I am an electrical engineer in the datacom semiconductor industry and I’m very familiar with the chips in this device. The chips can do it; the software has to be implemented to do it.

That is really not good news for me…

Does the Vera subnet go NAT? Or can one use real routing?

e.g.
Vera subnet 192.168.1.x
Main subnet 192.168.0.x

Can I setup my main router to route packets to the 192.168.1.x network through Vera3 (vera is Gateway)?

If not (if only NAT) I think I need to cancel my upgrade order… :frowning:

Thank’s everyone for hi-lighting this shortcoming of Vera3.[/quote]

Vera will be on it’s own subnet (by default 192.168.81.x). I only did some very brief testing but it would not route packets from my main router 192.168.1.x subnet to the Vera 192.168.81.x subnet. I could, however, get to the Internet from devices on the Vera 192.168.81.x subnet. So they route through the WAN side of my main router, but are not routed to through the LAN side of the router (as I would suspect without putting specific entries in the main router’s routing table since LAN port to LAN port is layer 2 and shouldn’t cross a subnet).

To get around the problem, since the Vera 3 works much better than my old Vera 2 for Z-wave, I went out and bought an access point that I moved my IP cameras to. So I have Vera connected via hardwire and everything that used to use Vera 2 as a wifi access point now goes through the dedicated access point. Sort of kills the discount for trading in my Vera 2.

Thank you to ufd108.

Hopefully the software will be modified soon.

[quote=“ufd108, post:26, topic:172110”][quote=“Caffreyboy, post:24, topic:172110”]Thank you for that, as this is the original question and topic for this thread.

It also sounds like perhaps it can’t be done at all with the new electronics inside?[/quote]

It’s not a function of the hardware inside, it’s the implementation. I am an electrical engineer in the datacom semiconductor industry and I’m very familiar with the chips in this device. The chips can do it; the software has to be implemented to do it.[/quote]

[quote=“Caffreyboy, post:28, topic:172110”]Thank you to ufd108.

Hopefully the software will be modified soon.

[quote=“ufd108, post:26, topic:172110”][quote=“Caffreyboy, post:24, topic:172110”]Thank you for that, as this is the original question and topic for this thread.

It’s not a function of the hardware inside, it’s the implementation. I am an electrical engineer in the datacom semiconductor industry and I’m very familiar with the chips in this device. The chips can do it; the software has to be implemented to do it.[/quote][/quote]

The way it is looking right now, there may not be a fix any time soon if at all.

• Garrett

I have had my Vera 2 for a couple years now, and it has been working fairly well for me, I havnt had to really make any changes since my first initial setup, which is still fairly simple.

I received an email today notifying me that today is the last day to get a half price upgrade to Vera 3. I was about to go through with the order, but thought I remembered seeing something in the forums about someone having wifi issues. I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 running Tomato as my primary router, with a cat5 running to the Vera 2, plugged into the LAN Port. Vera has a static IP, and DHCP turned off. I am using the wireless Access point to connect some devices to increase the range throughout my house.

From reading this thread, I understand that with Vera 3, any wireless clients will have to be segregated onto their own network, and obtain internet address via NAT through Vera 3, and will NOT be on the same subnet as the rest of my devices connected to my main switch and access point. If this is true, I would just like to thank everyone for bringing this to my attention, and saving me the upgrade. I thought I was almost missing out on a great opportunity to get a Vera 3 for a good price, but instead I almost ordered a device that would not work with my network layout!

Thanks!
Mark

Its shame this problem is not taken more seriously; they seem to think that its just a few users impacted unfortunately. Really cant believe that it cant be fixed.

Take a look at this badly-named thread where discussion about bridging wireless to the WAN port has been happening. This may affect your current opinion about whether to replace your old Vera with a Vera3.

I’m trying to surf into a device that is plugged into my Vera 3. I have a static IP for it that I used when it was connected to my old switch. Can it be done? How? Is there a subnet under Vera 3? Thanks!

Yes…
vera3 give for devices plugged in your lan ports address in range 192.168.81.XXX

and connects to your existing lan by wan port and your wan port receives ip from your dhcp server of your network in the range you have setted up.

to have access to your devices you must connect that in your lan or use vera like your primary router (not recommended at least for me).

I hope this help you.

Thanks for answering! I don’t want to use Vera as my router. My device is given 192.168.81.120 by Vera but I can’t reach it from my browser. So how can I connect it to my lan if it is plugged into Vera? Thanks!

My advice … pretend the Vera 3 does not have a Wifi and the 4 LAN ports on the back are a figment of your imagination.

If you bought it for any reason other than the increased memory … you made a mistake.
I utilize the extra memory from my Vera 3 … so I am quite happy!
In fact I am waiting for the next Version that has more memory … I will get it.
Memory and to a lesser extent CPU power limit what I currently have Vera doing.

The hardware has the capacity of being a decent router … but there are no configuration tools on Vera to administer it. Vera is based on OpenWRT which is an open platform for routers. If you are a hacker you can probably get it working.

Plug an access point with lan ports to your wifi network I use airport express and that have lan ports to connect your device and you will can control the device because that will be in the same network.

Below is a modified extract from a previous post. Access to modify the setting does exist (in part) but you need to accept this is going against the MCV design/firmware implementation and therefore, any changes are at the owner/users risk.

************************************************ This subject has been raised on numerous occasions and most recently as part of these two threads:

[ol][li]Vera3 wifi a real disappointment [Not anymore], and [/li]
[li]Vera 3 as a switch [/li][/ol]

As a response to the above threads, testing was been performed with the initial result are posted here.

In addition to the above results, I have also been testing changes the VLAN port allocation to provide greater flexibility to utilising the additional Ethernet ports to “WAN” and therefore lifting some of the current restrictions of the Vera 3’s reported capability. This was a single, multiple and reverse port allocation as identified in the attachments.

The is also an entry in the Wiki on Vera3 as an AccessPoint
Wiki on Vera3 as an AccessPoint.

It also has raised as an issue see Mantis 2496