Variable value [Feature Request]

Wanted to say thank you for your plugin. I’m using it for any number of triggers and it’s working very well.

I have an enhancement request that I think would be helpful to folks like myself who don’t really know their way around the vera state landscape all that well. Many times when I go to choose a variable of a device as a trigger, I end up going back into the plugin to try to find out what the current value is so that I can get an idea of what I should be looking for as the trigger value. Would it be possible to display the current value of a given variable over on the right hand side of the page as you choose it. This would help quite a bit in determining how to structure a trigger.
Thx

[quote=“Buxton, post:1, topic:200429”]Wanted to say thank you for your plugin. I’m using it for any number of triggers and it’s working very well.

I have an enhancement request that I think would be helpful to folks like myself who don’t really know their way around the vera state landscape all that well. Many times when I go to choose a variable of a device as a trigger, I end up going back into the plugin to try to find out what the current value is so that I can get an idea of what I should be looking for as the trigger value. Would it be possible to display the current value of a given variable over on the right hand side of the page as you choose it. This would help quite a bit in determining how to structure a trigger.
Thx[/quote]

That’s a great idea! I’m going to be releasing 2.1 today/tomorrow, just a fix release to address some UI issues people have found. So I’ll pencil your request in for 2.2. I’ll let you know when it’s in a developer preview, and you can install that if you want access to it before a formal release. My plan is to release 2.2 on Jan-27/28.

OK awesome. I look forward to it.

If I could, one more request on top of the previous one, as it is very similar.

I created a reactor sensor to detect if one of my network devices has gone down. The three screenshots below detail the construction of the sensor. The conditions page is straightforward: the sensor looks for a downed device in the service variable that tracks the number of off-line devices picked up by amg0’s plugin Network Monitor. The expressions page has an expression that grabs a Network Monitor service variable holding the names of each device that is off-line. The activities page uses the created expression variable as the message body in a push service.

The creation of the expression was fairly difficult in that I had to track down the exact name of the plugin, and the exact syntax of the service variable call (as well as your excellent getstate function that I stumbled upon in the documentation.) My request is that that all of this effort could probably be accomplished from a similar drop down list --whereby to the right of the created variable name, one could choose if you wanted to free hand the construction of a variable, or choose the variable from a state drop-down list. Perhaps even allowing custom editing of the variable after injecting the appropriate getstate syntax into the expression box via the dropdown.

The above request is certainly bit more complicated than my first request, but I’m hoping it can be done as it opens up an enormous amount of cross-plugin functionality. Thx

The expressions are a relatively new feature of Reactor that I think few people are using, but as you said, add a lot of power to it, especially now that the variables can be referred to in actions and used as parameters there. Yours is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for as more people starting using this feature. I’ll add this to the list.

Edit: by the way, nicely done!

Cool. The mod will make the things much easier.

I just created a sensor, with the new version of Reactor, to trigger on high electric usage if I am switched on to my generator, and I’m happy to report the sensor works exceptionally well. It was a completely intuitive process to use the new Reactor features, and I was able to navigate and create what is a complex sensor condition within a just few minutes of time.

Awesome job here. This is the kind of software that will keep the vera platform alive. Well done.