USB Drive logging

[quote=“guessed, post:20, topic:168250”]Yup, that’ll work also… for Windows folks 8)

It’s a little dated in it’s description since it refers to [tt]telnet[/tt] (etc), which used to be the “Default” way to get in. The SSH stuff you’ve documented is more common in the newer MiOS revs.

For Windows folks, they can also use winscp, that comes with the Putty toolset, to give them a semi-graphical way of pulling the files out of Vera to their Windows box (they can also use it to push stuff over)[/quote]

I found a bunch of existing pages and tied them in (thats why they’re not in format -yet). This was one of them. Ill update them in time.

As for SCP… i think ill create a page for that as well (or do you think its easier to elaborate the SSH how to with that?)

Most people would benefit from using the Windows WinSCP type tool, since it makes their life easier (IMHO) so that’s the one that I think would benefit from a HowTo.

You can always put in a tagline indicating that [tt]scp[/tt] is another way to do it, and hyperlink that to a generic [tt]scp[/tt] Man page on the internet somewhere, that’ll help those that want to learn the next level of complexity…

Folks that know how to do it “raw” likely won’t read the doc anyhow, as they already know how to do it :smiley:

Just to add a data point: used a 6gb previously used USB stick. I’m on Vera2, 1.1.1245 Vera formatted and returned success status in under 10 minutes.

One odd thing- I plugged the USB into USB1 on Vera, and the USB2 light lit up…

edit: changed my version to 1.1.1245

For cases where the USB device needs to be moved to another system temporarily (e.g. to copy the logs off for later analysis), is there any sanctioned way of dismounting its volumes properly prior to physically removing it from Vera 3, other than umount?, i.e. something that a non-techie could do?

I realize WinSCP can also be used to copy logs to a Windows client, this is a separate question.

If you want to remove the usb drive from Vera temporarily, you will either need to disable the usb logs and remove the drive once done, or power of the Vera unit for the time being. You might want to look into using winscp to copy over the logs as it will not require you to bring down your Vera unit or mess with the usb drive.

• Garrett

Agreed that winscp is the general preferred solution - my question was about a separate use case that a non-technical person (e.g. a maintenance worker who does not have access to or otherwise cannot use a computer) could perform to remove the usb key safely. I’ll think of an alternate solution. Thanks for your replies in any case.

I am logging to a USB drive. Is there a way to keep LuaUPnP.log on it for more than a day? I have something going on with one of my lights around 11:30 PM. It is not everynight which adds to the challenge. Unfortunately the logs are gone the next day when I want to look at them.

Thanks,
Chris

For those lookin why USB logging is not working on UI6, check this topic. Feature is in fact broken through the UI.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27032.15.html