Updates for VeraMate 5

Now that version 5 has settled down (with the problems getting the original version out, and then the UI5 device control bug), I thought I’d open a new topic for any issues or feedback.

I’ll be focusing on cleaning some of the new UI changes/bugs up in the next release or two, and then delve more into some big tickets items such as:

• Being able to change/customise the device icons (so specify a TV for eg, rather then the generic lighting icon).
  • More control over overridding Vera, for those who don’t wish to have to use vera’s UI to change the configuration.
  • And more

** Please make sure you’ve updated to at least 5.2.

So let me know how you like the new changes, and even items you’d like for the future.

Wish List

[ol][li]Favourites → Favorites :wink: Depends on where you’re from.[/li]
[li]Ability to Change Sizes - I would prefer smaller icons - Both on main screen and in list. Icons could be as small as Text. Fit more on screen. Understand some may like larger buttons so may want option for size if possible.[/li][/ol]

I have not experienced any problems with app but will report any bugs or crashes experienced.

Thinking outside the box for ideas. Could you make app automatically do things based on your location? There is a vera iphone app that runs on vera. It uses Vera to log into icloud service to get your location and then reports whether you are home or not. Instead of going through that long drawn out ordeal plus programming vera; why couldn’t VeraMate run in background and the phone activate certain scenes based on your location? Say for example, once phone goes 0.5 miles from home it runs a scene. For those with multiple uses like husband and wife the scene could do nothing more than toggle a virtual switch which is the user’s home or away state. Or say you come back within 15 miles of your house it makes sure the heat and AC is turned back on. What would battery drain be on phone to run Veramate in background? The vera iphone app has a huge battery drain because cloud services polls the phone every time.

Thanks for those :slight_smile:

Yes, I was contemplating putting in a localized strings, as I think there were one or 2 places, with “color” or “favorites” - but I elected to go for the “correct” way (kidding :P). I’ll consider popping a localized form in there at some point.

As for the location based idea, that is actually one of the items on the list I have planned :slight_smile: It’s a bit of the way down the list at the moment as there are some technical difficulties, and there is a plugin that is available, I think, which can be used to do something similar (?). One of the starts to this was the 5 version which does actually run in the background now - but only to make sure outstanding activations go through (previously if you closed the app and a command was still outstanding, it wouldn’t have been processed). I wanted to make sure I got that right, but yes, iOS does have the ability to track you location with minimal drain, so it is definitely possible. But I will be looking into this in the future.

How do I get 5.2? I purchased via App store then was updated to 5.1.1 beta via Testflight. The App store is not notifying me of an update available and wants me to purchase again. Testflight does not have an update for me. I emailed the author but no reply yet.

I had same issue. Go to App Store and search for Veramate Premium. No need to use the beta version anymore.

[ol][li]Ability for Veramate to remember your settings. Every time my phone automatically downloads the latest version of Veramate I have to change my room icons and put my favorites back on the start page. [/li]
[li]Ability to change “My Favourites” icons.[/li]
[li]Ability to change main icons (Dashboard, scenes, active, and etc…)[/li][/ol]

You lose all your settings?? Hmm this shouldn’t be the case. I wonder if that was from using the beta and then upgrading - I don’t believe this happens normally, but I’ll look into it.

The ability to customize all icons (not just rooms) is a big bit of dev I hope to start soon.

PS - you’ll probably be glad to see the “favorites” spelling now… not properly localized, but I’ll go on the majority of customers for now (US)… :slight_smile:
PPS - version 5.5 to be released early next week lets you change the icon size too (as requested above).

Tried the free version after just learning a few days ago that it was compatible with UI6, and everything worked great and yesterday (second day I had app) I went ahead and bought the premium version, and then was prompted to upgrade. Upgraded to latest version 5.4.1 and lost the ability to control any of my Thermostats. I have two Honeywell and One 2-Gig, but the app was still working light,etc. Today nothing is working . I cant control anything with it. Please help. Thank you

Vera 3 with 18 switches, 5 water sensors, 8 cameras, connected to GE caddx Alarm with 18 zones, 2 Honeywell stats, and one 2-gig stat
You are running the latest version: 1.6.641
FYI. MMS app is controlling switches/scenes /temp on stats with no issues

if you can make it burp, you’ll have it properly Americanized. :wink:

[quote=“veramate, post:8, topic:180171”]You lose all your settings?? Hmm this shouldn’t be the case. I wonder if that was from using the beta and then upgrading - I don’t believe this happens normally, but I’ll look into it.

The ability to customize all icons (not just rooms) is a big bit of dev I hope to start soon.

PS - you’ll probably be glad to see the “favorites” spelling now… not properly localized, but I’ll go on the majority of customers for now (US)… :slight_smile:
PPS - version 5.5 to be released early next week lets you change the icon size too (as requested above).[/quote]

I will try completely removing Veramate from phone and reinstall. When next update comes out I will let you know if my settings were saved. And thanks for the other updates. Looking forward to them.

If we’re going to Americanize the app it needs to be rude, want more money all the time, and maybe throw in a beer can icon. ;D

@ElMagnifico - sorry you’re having problems. This has affected a couple of users now, and I believe it to be related to a networking problem downloading the device details (for which I can’t quite determine the reason, as this is part of a framework that hasn’t changed in VeraMate, apart from recompiling for iOS 7.1). I do however have a workaround in the next version, 5.5.

So it’s not ideal, but if you could wait until around very early next week, the upgrade should be released onto the app store. In the interim I could suggest connecting using the “guest login” using a local controller from the login page, however, the problem still seems to affect some users even on a guest/local connection.

I’m sensing a theme here :slight_smile:

[quote=“veramate, post:12, topic:180171”]@ElMagnifico - sorry you’re having problems. This has affected a couple of users now, and I believe it to be related to a networking problem downloading the device details (for which I can’t quite determine the reason, as this is part of a framework that hasn’t changed in VeraMate, apart from recompiling for iOS 7.1). I do however have a workaround in the next version, 5.5.

So it’s not ideal, but if you could wait until around very early next week, the upgrade should be released onto the app store. In the interim I could suggest connecting using the “guest login” using a local controller from the login page, however, the problem still seems to affect some users even on a guest/local connection.[/quote]

Well I went ahead and tried to load it on my Ipad 2 to make sure it wasn’t an issue with my iPhone 5, and it stays stuck loading, and doesn’t show any of my controls. It does find my username info, etc, but just spins saying loading.

As far as being patient, sure. I like the look and feel of the app and I’m sure it will be great once you cook out the bugs.

Tried Guest mode and does work great. One observation. I did not know anyone who knew my IP could simply access my controls without Vera prompting for a password. That’s a little disturbing.

I also have another observation. Every time I would go to log out, I get the error message “Invalid username or password. Please try again.” I’m getting this even though I am not logging in, but just logging out

I logged back in using my username/password and now switches are working again, but still cannot control stats. So I tried again to log out again, and is now telling me Invalid username/Password, using my correct credentials . Guess it didn’t like the numerous logging in and out.
I’ve tried off and on for the last couple hours and I can not sign back in on this app, other than using guest mode I can, but still does not control the thermostats anymore.

Update**Appears the Vera log in works on 3g/4g, Only thing is that I cant set temp unless I change Heat/Cool mode. This also appears to be the case also when using the guest login. I was able today to log back into the guest network and my Ipad did eventually load, just took a while. The temp setting part may be user issues. Can you clarify if that was the way it is designed. I thought you should be able to dial a temp and hit done and it would change to reflect, is that not the case?

I like the ability to change the main page icons as I can size it to fit everyone on one page. How difficult would it be to have the buttons in each room to be able to be resized as well? I know you have a few more important irons in the fire at the moment though with connection issues.

5.5 fixes most connectivity issues, with 5.6 (coming out towards the end of the week) will fix all other known issues (at this time). So yes, customizing the device list pages for the size and custom icons will be coming up next. This will be a fair amount of dev work to refactor and make sure I can resize it efficiently, so probably won’t be being finished for a little while.

Great Job. Everything is working good and I am really enjoying this app. I really like the customizable icons.

Only issue I have is setting temps without changing modes. Is this one of the fixes you are referring to, or have I just not figured out how to do this?
Thanks again for what you do.

[quote=“ElMagnifico, post:17, topic:180171”]Great Job. Everything is working good and I am really enjoying this app. I really like the customizable icons.

Only issue I have is setting temps without changing modes. Is this one of the fixes you are referring to, or have I just not figured out how to do this?
Thanks again for what you do.[/quote]

Great :slight_smile: As for setting temps, I’m not sure what you mean? Is this a thermostat, or a simple temperature +/- buttons?

[quote=“veramate, post:18, topic:180171”][quote=“ElMagnifico, post:17, topic:180171”]Great Job. Everything is working good and I am really enjoying this app. I really like the customizable icons.

Thanks again for what you do.[/quote]

Great :slight_smile: As for setting temps, I’m not sure what you mean? Is this a thermostat, or a simple temperature +/- buttons?[/quote]

I’m sorry for not being specific. See the attached Photo, I have 3 thermostats, 2 Honeywells and one 2-Gig and I can not change temps without changing the mode. Example it currently is set to Cool at 74, and I want to change to 72. I have tried every way I can imagine to change it in the app. I set both dials available to 72 and hit done, but nothing happens. The only thing I found that works is If I change to Heat and set temp at 72, it will change to Heat Mode and set the desired temp to 72, then I have to change back to cool and 72, and then it will change to Cool/72. Appreciate the help!

Thanks for the information. That would seem to have to be a bug - let me have a look when I’m back in the office and I’ll get back to you.