Unsolicited device activation

Hi, does anyone experienced the “frighting” adventure of a device, like a curtain, activated in the middle of the night, no scene related? It’s not very pleasant… I often use my Imperihome remote to check the house when I’m outside, so I’m wondering if it could be a security issue?
So my questions:

1. Can a z-wave device be activated by itself? Remote frequency or something?
  2. Can an outside internet access trigger my device? If yes, is it possible to trace this from the log?

Thanks,

Chris

Is it around 02:00 ? Automatic network heal maybe?
I used to have this problem with a couple of Domitech light bulbs that would come on during the heal.

Hello Chris,

There is a certain z-wave bulb that has the habit to turn itself on at night, due to a bad device firmware. But other than that, there’s always “something” that triggers the device, maybe a configuration parameter on the device, a geofence scene that works incorrectly, or some house mode configuration.

Nonetheless, if you haven’t done so already, please have a word with our Customer Care team as well. See my signature.

Thanks for the answers, the device is a Fibaro FGR-221 Version Info: 3,3,34,1,6. I run the latest Vera firmware 1.7.963
Yes, it happens the night, but do not know if it was 2am.

Create a scene so that if the device opens and it is night then close it - not a cure but you will see what time the scene ran.

Nothing is impossible, but it is extremely unlikely. Extremely unlikely.

2. Can an outside internet access trigger my device? If yes, is it possible to trace this from the log?
Not unless you have portforwarded your Vera. In which case, absolutely.

As others have said, some devices misbehave when Vera performs its nightly network heal operation, turning on seemingly spontaneously. However, I have not seen anyone complaining about this issue with Fibaro devices.

Vera does maintain a log file and it should be possible to determine why and when Vera issued a command to a device form the logs. The aforementioned heal problem is not clear in the logs but it is easy to infer that that is the cause.

I would recommend that you Exclude the Fibaro device. This will reset it to factory defaults and remove it form any automation that you have established. Then Include it again and see if the problem continues/returns, or is solved.

I know you are “sure” that the device is not part of a scene. But, even I have been surprised to find devices that I accidentally(misclicked) and included in inappropriate scenes with results that were unexpected surprises.

Especially true when using the native Vera scene editor in UI7 and you have a long list of devices. Been there, did that.

Especially true when using the native Vera scene editor in UI7 and you have a long list of devices. Been there, did that.[/quote]

Thanks for the answers,

Ok, I have as scene with this device, but I also setup a flag Virtual Switch type, heliotrope based or is.night() based that should be respected by my code :slight_smile:

What is the "cleanest way"available to detect if a device has been triggered, other than writing a specific scene like suggested by Junior Jedi?

I’d PLEG it with a trigger. Then you can easily see when it went off.