Understanding heal/repair report

I’ve been working through some mysterious device configuration failures - in short, a bunch of devices suddenly failed to configure, after working fine for weeks; most of them eventually came back over a period of several more weeks and the final two over the weekend after MCV support triggered another heal.

Anyway, I’m mystified by a few things. Right at the beginning of this issue I ran my own z-wave “heal” overnight, and looked at the report. I’m using veralite with (at present) 1.5.322, and firefox 10 as my browser.

Is the set of five stars next to each device meant to be an indication of signal strength? They all show as empty to me, but the signal can’t possibly be that low to all devices…

the report page also says “Hover over any device to see the other devices that can see it.” but that simply doesn’t work for me.

Finally - not related to the report, but I thought vera ran a “repair” every night at 2am anyway - why would it make any difference for tech support to run their own? I wish I knew what was done, so i could try to take care of it myself if it happens again…

Graham

I haven’t looked at it in a long time, but I thought the 2am heal is conditional; presumably when there were communication issues during the day?

[quote=“gtallan, post:1, topic:170965”]I’ve been working through some mysterious device configuration failures - in short, a bunch of devices suddenly failed to configure, after working fine for weeks; most of them eventually came back over a period of several more weeks and the final two over the weekend after MCV support triggered another heal.

Anyway, I’m mystified by a few things. Right at the beginning of this issue I ran my own z-wave “heal” overnight, and looked at the report. I’m using veralite with (at present) 1.5.322, and firefox 10 as my browser.

Is the set of five stars next to each device meant to be an indication of signal strength? They all show as empty to me, but the signal can’t possibly be that low to all devices…

the report page also says “Hover over any device to see the other devices that can see it.” but that simply doesn’t work for me.

Finally - not related to the report, but I thought vera ran a “repair” every night at 2am anyway - why would it make any difference for tech support to run their own? I wish I knew what was done, so i could try to take care of it myself if it happens again…

Graham[/quote]

Hi!

Vera runs a heal automatically at 2am if there were any communication issues during the day - otherwise no heal is triggered.

Yes, the stars are representing the signal strength. I am running into the same issue btw. When I trigger a repair/heal manually the stars are showing up correctly, however if Vera heals the network over night the stars are empty - maybe this is just a bug? Who knows :slight_smile:
Anyways, I also do not get any information if I hover over the device…

If you would like to the the “correct” stars, just do a manual heal and you should be fine.

Flo

i still experience the same thing. hoover on IE9 doesnt do anything. and the first time heal it would give a report which was correct while next times it says the signal = 0 and seems to have failed or so , but in fact it did work as the route 0 turned into a route and the device was accesable again.

Do you also get signal = 0 when you manually trigger the heal/repair? Or just when vera heals over night?

this was manually :slight_smile: i triggert it few times now but no health stars… network is fine so it probably misses some data from the vera for this stars to show up

This is odd… anyways… I would not be worried about it… I don’t trust those stars either - especially if your network is running fine :slight_smile:

yup so i figured… it says 0 stars and it works pretty good and fast so then it must have some signal strength to get past the 6 meters from my vera

[quote=“frichter09, post:3, topic:170965”]Vera runs a heal automatically at 2am if there were any communication issues during the day - otherwise no heal is triggered.

Yes, the stars are representing the signal strength. I am running into the same issue btw. When I trigger a repair/heal manually the stars are showing up correctly, however if Vera heals the network over night the stars are empty - maybe this is just a bug? Who knows :slight_smile:
Anyways, I also do not get any information if I hover over the device…

If you would like to the the “correct” stars, just do a manual heal and you should be fine.[/quote]

Ah, so I must have some communication issues, since vera seems to be running a heal every night.

So, I ran a manual heal today, and the results are a bit frustrating, to say the least…!

I do indeed now see the signal strength stars, most of them are 5 but with a couple of 1s or 2s (some of these make sense due to distance, some not so much).

But, out of 18 devices, all but two failed to configure during the heal process, so the vera devices list is back to a sea of red…! Essentially back to the state of several weeks ago when this problem first started. It’s not a big comfort that it seems to go away all by itself over 3 weeks or so, as it appears to be completely non-deterministic, and there are a couple of controllers which are pretty nonfunctional during this time.

Although, it does seem that some (hopefully most) devices, if I open them and click “configure node now” do configure again… so maybe it’s not a complete disaster, but still distressingly random-seeming!

Graham

it is by design that it does a heal over night :slight_smile:
for the rest its best to leave it alone and let it do its stuff.

You guys can always turn off the 2am healing by disabling “use vera routing instead of z-wave”. Then Vera wont do an automatic heal. Btw. if Vera does a lot of automatic heals it does not necessarily mean your network is bad. For me I have many nodes. Even if one route fails during the day, Vera will do an automatic heal.

Flo

I ran a heal last night, and nearly all my devices have 4 or 5 stars, except Monster scene controllers (no more than 2) and 1 intermatic outlet that is DIRECTLY under Vera. Vera is plugged into that outlet, and sitting on a wood desk. I can’t imagine how the signal strength is so low. It is maybe 12 inches away.

So that prompted me to look at the “AutoRoute” variable. For the outlet, this is set to “15-16,43-18,28-18,24-19”…doesn’t that mean it can’t communicate directly with the outlet? It uses all intermediate nodes, 2 of which are nearby, 2 are rather far away.

So I looked at the “AutoRoute” for another nearby device, a Leviton switch that is about 5 ft away, with nothing in between (no walls, no other switches). That variable is set to “0-5x,41-14x,15-14x,16-15x” - again, Vera can’t communicate directly, and there are no routes? Even the “AllRoutesFailed” is set to 1. Yet Vera can turn that light on and off? I’m confused! ???

Should I rerun with “Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requries Vera routing)” checked/enabled, so it wipes out the old neighbors? Some switches were repositioned, and maybe it’s carrying legacy baggage?

I’ve run into the same problem.

Since updating my Vera 3 to 1.5.346 none of my nodes have configured correctly, and none will respond to any zwave command.

I’ve tried restoring from a backup - no luck.
Multiple manual heals - no luck.
Waiting for nightly heals to fix routing - no luck.
Selecting configure this node now - no luck. “unable to get information”

My heal report also shows all configured, but zero stars. And no hover over for information.

Any ideas other than doing a complete exclude/include process. (Doing that for 5 different door locks kinda sucks.)

Thanks!

What zwave firmware are you running? Were you on 2.78 and now on 3.20? Have a look under Setup → Z-wave Settings.

• Garrett

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:12, topic:170965”]I ran a heal last night, and nearly all my devices have 4 or 5 stars, except Monster scene controllers (no more than 2) and 1 intermatic outlet that is DIRECTLY under Vera. Vera is plugged into that outlet, and sitting on a wood desk. I can’t imagine how the signal strength is so low. It is maybe 12 inches away.

So that prompted me to look at the “AutoRoute” variable. For the outlet, this is set to “15-16,43-18,28-18,24-19”…doesn’t that mean it can’t communicate directly with the outlet? It uses all intermediate nodes, 2 of which are nearby, 2 are rather far away.

So I looked at the “AutoRoute” for another nearby device, a Leviton switch that is about 5 ft away, with nothing in between (no walls, no other switches). That variable is set to “0-5x,41-14x,15-14x,16-15x” - again, Vera can’t communicate directly, and there are no routes? Even the “AllRoutesFailed” is set to 1. Yet Vera can turn that light on and off? I’m confused! ???

Should I rerun with “Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requries Vera routing)” checked/enabled, so it wipes out the old neighbors? Some switches were repositioned, and maybe it’s carrying legacy baggage?[/quote]

Hi!
yes, it appears that based on the autoroute info you provided, Vera is not able (or chooses a better route) to communicate directly with the device. If vera talks directly to it you will see something like 0-… in the autoroute table.

For the leviton switch… Vera still talk to the switch (since you can control it). I know it seems weird that all your routes are marked with an x - however Vera still is able to talk to the device (magically?). I sometimes have the same issue. However this issue is usually corrected by an automatic heal at night.

Are you saying that the automatic heal at 2am does not solve the routing problem?

FLo

[quote=“frichter09, post:15, topic:170965”]Hi!
yes, it appears that based on the autoroute info you provided, Vera is not able (or chooses a better route) to communicate directly with the device. If vera talks directly to it you will see something like 0-… in the autoroute table.

For the leviton switch… Vera still talk to the switch (since you can control it). I know it seems weird that all your routes are marked with an x - however Vera still is able to talk to the device (magically?). I sometimes have the same issue. However this issue is usually corrected by an automatic heal at night.

Are you saying that the automatic heal at 2am does not solve the routing problem?

FLo[/quote]I ran a heal right before I went bed around 11. It might have done another at 2 AM, since the report says “Results for the Z-Wave ‘Heal’ completed at: 28-MAR-2012 02:41”

Vera can communicate with every device, some faster than others, and it seems Vera has trouble communicating with the it.

I think tonight I will try to exclude/include a few of the “problem children” and see if it can get better results. Then I’ll run another “heal” and see what happens.

BTW: I am running 1.5.346, z-wave version 3.20.

Hi Garrett,

If you were sending that question to me, I’m running 3.20.

Prior to the firmware update, I’m fairly certain I was running 3.20. I don’t recall changing any settings, so however Vera 3 shipped two months ago is the settings it had prior to the firmware update.

Currently the “use 3.20 instead of 2.78” box is checked.
Also checked is: “vera automatically configure nodes” “use vera routing instead of zwave” and “poll nodes”
Not checked is: “limit neighbors to zwave discovery”

Any thoughts?

One possibility is that Vera falls back to Z-Wave routing if there are no working MiOS routes?

I had a similar issue after doing a heal. Most of my upstairs nodes failed to configure, however some still responded to Vera commands. Turns out I had two nodes (a HSM plug in module and a Fibar module) in a bad state: the Fibar module wouldn’t even respond to its local switch anymore. My guess is that they ended up in a bad state following the heal and reconfigure. I took the power off these things for 10 minutes; after that the nodes could be configured using the “configure now” command, and all the other modules started responding again as well.

Does something like the old heal report (from UI4) get generated somewhere?

I don’t have one handy, but I remember it saying what nodes were seen by what, what routes Vera tried. etc. It gave far more detail then the new heal report (which gives very little actually!).

I know for most users the old style was probably overkill, but I liked that data it gave.