Unable to login: Luup engine is taking longer to reload.

I have Vera3 and everything was working fine until I saw the new firmware update, after the update the unit still function normal. After a week it become unresponsive. I have reset the unit, unassigned the unit and assigned back. The part when you login from Vera web site then it reroute to your local ip where Vera3 connected, it just hung and would not do anything and has a message Luup engine is taking longer to reload. Anyone know what wrong with the unit?

Me too; at first I thought this was due to adding the PLC and PLC Core add-ons. I hate blaming the “last change”, but I didn’t have a better theory. I removed PLC and PLC Core, and the hangs only got worse to the point where my Vera only stays responsive for under an hour!

I’m running UI7 and the very latest firmware.

You probably encounter, like few of us, the infinite lua engine crash due to a scene planed to run every XX minutes.
At least two other topics are relating this critical issue.

Log to your Vera and check the logs in order to confirm the infinite lua engine crash. The last line before the crash mention the running of a particular scene (its name is provided).

If you are in this case, the only solution I have found is to trigger a reset to factory. When you get back access to UI, restore a backup and when you have everything back, do quickly a change of all your scenes to suppress any scheduling of type “every XX”. Then you are safe.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27225.0.html

[quote=“lolodomo, post:3, topic:183475”]You probably encounter, like few of us, the infinite lua engine crash due to a scene planed to run every XX minutes.
At least two other topics are relating this critical issue.

Log to your Vera and check the logs in order to confirm the infinite lua engine crash. The last line before the crash mention the running of a particular scene (its name is provided).

If you are in this case, the only solution I have found is to trigger a reset to factory. When you get back access to UI, restore a backup and when you have everything back, do quickly a change of all your scenes to suppress any scheduling of type “every XX”. Then you are safe.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27225.0.html[/quote]

Thanks for the tip; I’ll work on it this weekend. All of my scenes are either manual, triggered from a device (motion), or run once per day. I tried adding a scene this morning that ran every 60 minutes to reset luup. Sounds like I need to reboot and delete that scene right away.

I’ll try the factory reset and restore from backup route… :-(.

[quote=“hmspain, post:4, topic:183475”]Thanks for the tip; I’ll work on it this weekend. All of my scenes are either manual, triggered from a device (motion), or run once per day. I tried adding a scene this morning that ran every 60 minutes to reset luup. Sounds like I need to reboot and delete that scene right away.

I’ll try the factory reset and restore from backup route… :-(.[/quote]

That would be very interesting if you can confirm that the problem comes from this new scene scheduled every 60 minutes. That could help to convince Vera Corp of the issue that is IMHO critical…
Note that you don’t need to destroy your scene, just suppress its scheduling.

[quote=“lolodomo, post:5, topic:183475”][quote=“hmspain, post:4, topic:183475”]Thanks for the tip; I’ll work on it this weekend. All of my scenes are either manual, triggered from a device (motion), or run once per day. I tried adding a scene this morning that ran every 60 minutes to reset luup. Sounds like I need to reboot and delete that scene right away.

That would be very interesting if you can confirm that the problem comes from this new scene scheduled every 60 minutes. That could help to convince Vera Corp of the issue that is IMHO critical…
Note that you don’t need to destroy your scene, just suppress its scheduling.[/quote]

Since the problem was happening BEFORE I scheduled the 60 min scene, I can’t say the scene caused the instability. I’ll poke around the log file looking for any crashes and (I hope) something will jump out.

Hi,

Can you start a live-chat from http://support.getvera.com/ ? This way we’ll be able to assist you with your issue.
Please note that tech support is available from 3 am to 9 pm EST time, from Monday to Friday.

Thanks.

[quote=“George, post:7, topic:183475”]Hi,

Can you start a live-chat from http://support.getvera.com/ ? This way we’ll be able to assist you with your issue.
Please note that tech support is available from 3 am to 9 pm EST time, from Monday to Friday.

Thanks.[/quote]

Thank you for the offer; I’ll try once I get off work (around 3pm Pacific).

[quote=“hmspain, post:2, topic:183475”]Me too; at first I thought this was due to adding the PLC and PLC Core add-ons. I hate blaming the “last change”, but I didn’t have a better theory. I removed PLC and PLC Core, and the hangs only got worse to the point where my Vera only stays responsive for under an hour!

I’m running UI7 and the very latest firmware.[/quote]

I found the fix and it work for me just follow the instruction. Let me know would this resolve your issue.
the thread was created by CJ and his instruction stated that there is a bug in kernel nand driver which can cause a corruption of the Jffs2 file system, making the unit hang. Here is the link to his thread:http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9027.0.html
Good Luck

[quote=“lowemissions, post:9, topic:183475”][quote=“hmspain, post:2, topic:183475”]Me too; at first I thought this was due to adding the PLC and PLC Core add-ons. I hate blaming the “last change”, but I didn’t have a better theory. I removed PLC and PLC Core, and the hangs only got worse to the point where my Vera only stays responsive for under an hour!

I found the fix and it work for me just follow the instruction. Let me know would this resolve your issue.
the thread was created by CJ and his instruction stated that there is a bug in kernel nand driver which can cause a corruption of the Jffs2 file system, making the unit hang. Here is the link to his thread:http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9027.0.html
Good Luck[/quote]

Sorry for the noob response, but the “left” and “right” lights are solid; the middle light is off indicating this condition. No blinking :-).

[quote=“hmspain, post:10, topic:183475”][quote=“lowemissions, post:9, topic:183475”][quote=“hmspain, post:2, topic:183475”]Me too; at first I thought this was due to adding the PLC and PLC Core add-ons. I hate blaming the “last change”, but I didn’t have a better theory. I removed PLC and PLC Core, and the hangs only got worse to the point where my Vera only stays responsive for under an hour!

Good Luck[/quote]

Sorry for the noob response, but the “left” and “right” lights are solid; the middle light is off indicating this condition. No blinking :-).[/quote]

Unplug the power, plug the power back, immediately press the reset button and hold until you see the power led flash orange/green. I think this put the device into some sort open mode so you can telnet into the device. The instruction said if it doesn’t work try again. Once you receive the ping then telnet to your device. I use putty to telnet into my Vera3. There are 3 line command you must type exactly. For some reason, my device reboot after the second command and I back in business without the last command. Good Luck.

[quote=“jasperhb”][quote=“lolodomo, post:5, topic:183475”][quote=“hmspain, post:4, topic:183475”]Thanks for the tip; I’ll work on it this weekend. All of my scenes are either manual, triggered from a device (motion), or run once per day. I tried adding a scene this morning that ran every 60 minutes to reset luup. Sounds like I need to reboot and delete that scene right away.

Note that you don’t need to destroy your scene, just suppress its scheduling.[/quote][/quote]

I can confirm that I see the scheduled scene issue. My Vera3 was running fine until I created a scheduled scene yesterday and now I have to reset it and restore from a point before I added the sceduled scene to get the Vera3 to run again. As of now I see no green Z-wave light on the box and when access the Vera I get the dreaded “Luup engine is taking longer to reload.”.

Also the LUAUPnP.log clearly shows that every time Vera tries to execure the scheduled scene this is follows by a crash.

I have t say that after a year or so with the Vera3 I spend much more time debugging and sorting out errors than what I would have liked to :frowning: When it Works it great but I now know more about Luup, MiOS etc. than I ever wanted too. I hope the Next gen Home Controller boxes will be more stable.

Kind regards,
Jasper

I thought I would post a followup to my Vera instability. Best I can tell LUUP would crash and NOT restart. The middle light would be dark. It required a power down and restart.

I started removing apps and LUUP code until my system was pretty much stripped down to just the basics.

Support identified the problem as the System Monitor app (a nice to have, but not critical). As I recall, I installed the System Monitor app trying to debug my Vera instability, but whatever.

My Vera has been running for over a week now… no crash.