UI7 ▾ Vera Software Update ▾ 7.0.30 - Nov 20, 2019

Yes, I won’t let them touch my Vera as too many times they’ve made a mess of my zwave devices.

Yes. Similarly I’d rather be taught how to fix it than sit around waiting for support to get round to me.

I get they are trying to add value, but sometimes the customer is competent…

C

Exactly, I’m also in IT and know the basics of the Linux CLI so I can easily follow instructions if needed.

1 Like

There are quite a lot of us in IT. Not entirely surprising given the medium and the product. Quite a few of us have been in IT for some time and are what might be regarded as ‘expert’ (cf Patrick and Rafale for a start)
This sometimes seems to pass the powers that be by…

C

3 Likes

Appreciate the vote of confidence! We do try to be helpful (I’m speaking a bit for @rafale77 on that one but I think that’s safe to say).

What we know of Vera is the product of years of discovery and experimentation by many (I’m sure many of you share the defining physical characteristic of the Vera user/developer: a flat spot on the forehead that coincidentally is the same shape and size as a dent in a nearby wall). We stand on the shoulders of giants. The accumulated knowledge of everyone here is powerful, and the more we can communicate and disseminate what we learn, the more we can teach others, the better off we all are.

I hope we never lose that.

12 Likes

Well said!

And yes you can speak for me. No problem. :slight_smile:

Ultimately the purpose is to grow the community and share our experience to get everybody’s project up and running in a reliable fashion.

I was not gifted with a lot of patience so for me going hours with support, no matter how helpful they tried to be lead me to want to figure out what they are doing and do everything myself so I have no one else to blame when something goes bad but mostly to be able to fix it faster the next time.
It is not just about fixing the problems. It is about preventing them from happening again and this requires going to the next level of understanding…

5 Likes

So very true! Mrs C not highly amused when the heating wasn’t on this morning. Tracked it down to where I’d got Reactor in a lock out after I created her new iPhone Locator instance. (I think this is a reasonable argument to not have all your automations in one reactor)
So she was banging my head against a wall :smiley:

C

2 Likes

For some reason mine isn’t showing the update, I’m on V 1.7.4453 on my Vera Plus, is there a manual download for the firmware anywhere please?

No, it’s been pulled

Best not go for a beta unless you’re clued in really

C

I tend to have an override switch on all my conditions, so that, should this occur, I can flick that virtual switch and disable the code while I take a look at what’s caused the issue in the conditions.

@Sorin @edward Just lost internet for a bit and my VP went into “Christmas Tree” mode. Any updates on when this is going to be fixed?

yeah this info would be nice!

The last update they gave us said it was supposed to be done early last week. Crickets since then. I guess they don’t see its a big deal to have caused all this chaos and made peoples Plus’s unusable. I’m now glad that I grabbed a Hubitat on the Cyber Monday sale. With no action from Vera I started decommissioning my Vera and migrating everything over last weekend.

My guess. They will not release it before Christmas since they will have a large pressure on the support at this time if some problems are identified. Probably early of next year you can expect it, at the earliest.

It looks like a good product, but has no native integration with Home Assistant. Not a viable path for me…

Is Melih still alive?

As posted 3 days ago:

This:

works fine. I don’t know what has been preventing them from releasing it. It took me less than an hour to come up with it and I had to extroot.

At the beginning of this 7.0.30 crisis (and I feel at this point the term crisis is appropriate as it still isn’t fixable by them - even though they’ve been told by @rafale77 how to fix it) @Melih was still active on this board, but I’ve noticed that neither he nor @Sorin are anywhere near as active as they very recently were. It’s really poor management to go silent in the middle of a big mess like this. When you go dark people assume that you either 1) don’t know enough about your product to know how to fix it, 2) intentionally broke it to force them to buy the new model, 3) don’t grasp the impact of your bug and the problems its causing, or 4) you just flat out don’t care if you’re customers are down. I don’t know who I’d recommend the Ezlo Atom to (I wasn’t impressed with the beta unit), but if someone did have a good application for that type of product why would you trust that Ezlo would maintain the cloud system needed to allow it to continue working when it can’t undo a firmware update in 3 weeks (especially when one of your users already found a fix, executed it, proved it on their system, posted it for you, and has tried to draw your attention to it).

1 Like

Running on the old os/kernel is a workaround, not a fix. I hope they are actually working on a proper fix and the path forward, instead of a step back, even if it is a more stable one at the moment.

Personally, I thought CatastroFcuk was more apt. :unamused: