Ubiquiti AirCam External

Holy kaw, if I may say so…

Have you seen this?

And it’s cheaper then Foscam…

@325xi, I didn’t see a pricelist can you share how much for the camera and software? Mike

Example:
http://www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti-aircam.html

I hope they’re open enough to be used with Blue Iris

@325xi, those are some pretty awesome cameras. It looks like they aren’t available until December though?

Since I have no cameras yet, I placed an order with one of the Master Resellers (happens to be local to me). Ill keep you guys updated on how it goes, when it arrives etc.

Thanks for the pointer @325xi … been looking for a 720p H264 camera for a while now. This ones cheap enough to make the experiment worthwhile.

Awesomeness factor of Ubiquiti products used to be very high, so it worth waiting.

On Ubiquiti’s AirVision page it says “Shattering conventional industry thinking, Ubiquiti offers AirVision’s powerful IP surveillance system completely free of charge. No huge upfront costs, no monthly subscription fees.”

I was hoping to try downloading the software to try it out… but I can’t figure out where. Maybe they just mean it comes free with the camera? I am very interested in the cameras but wanted to see if it would also work with my four flashed schlage link cameras.

EDIT: Their forums seem to be having serious problems today. I was able to pull up a thread that talked about the airvision software. On 8/24/2011 on of the developers posted that the install packages would be up soon, and that initially the software would only work with AirCams, although it seems like support for other cameras will be added. I can’t find the google cache link anymore or I would include it!

Got a note from Streakwave this morning indicating they have no ETA on these just yet, and that my order out me ‘in line’ for when they were ready…

[quote=“guessed, post:5, topic:169458”]Since I have no cameras yet, I placed an order with one of the Master Resellers (happens to be local to me). Ill keep you guys updated on how it goes, when it arrives etc.

Thanks for the pointer @325xi … been looking for a 720p H264 camera for a while now. This ones cheap enough to make the experiment worthwhile.[/quote]

Please let us know when you get one and a chance to try it out, they do look like very nice cameras.

Got a note from the distro on Friday, looks like they’ll have a small quantity of the Ubiquiti AirCam to ship in mid October, and another [larger] batch to ship in November. Hopefully mine will come in one of those two lots, but seems like they’ve been taking orders for a few months now, so we’ll see…

Will update once it’s on-deck (will create a separate thread for it)

guessed, what are your impressions from AirCam?
I found this little video, looks very interesting

@325xi,
I haven’t had the chance to testdrive it yet, it’s been benched for ~1wk now as I have relatives in town. I should be able to get to it next week, and I’ll definitely report back once I have some real data on it.

An interesting observation though is that the [low-res] “still” images come via the Camera’s /snapshot.cgi URI, and the Video feeds come from an RTSP stream with selectable bitrates… at least the stuff directly from the Camera. They’ve done a nice job of the in-camera presentation of the Admin UI, and seem to have options to SSH into the Camera itself (which I’ll need, since it’s API isn’t publicly documented yet)

At some point I’ll stand up a Ubuntu 11 on a PC, and put in the Software layer for their Motion sensing (etc)… but that’s a bigger project to undertake.

[quote=“325xi, post:11, topic:169458”]guessed, what are your impressions from AirCam?

[quote=“325xi, post:11, topic:169458”]guessed, what are your impressions from AirCam?

Looks good, it would be great to see how it looks in low light or night too. @Guessed if you don’t mind posting a video when you get the time, that would be appreciated.

For those that are interested in this particular camera, there are various postings going up on their Forums as they’re in the hands of a few people now:
http://www.ubnt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

I’ll stand up Ubuntu on my Mac (under VirtualBox), over the next few days, to “host” the AirVision app and get some initial data on it - hopefully that won’t run into any hickups.

Right now, there’s not a lot of “API” information available as yet so that’ll take longer to derive…

So, I went to get this to the working level today, and the news isn’t good.

For whatever reason, the AirCam wasn’t responding to DHCP on my network (DD-WRT v23). In this situation, it will Fall back to an internal default (192.168.1.20), which isn’t on my network.

I created an isolated/test Network for it, and could get to the Camera’s built in display and it was working nicely, albeit that the internal “image” feed from the Camera is low-res)

I then switched it’s Fallback default IP to be on my Network and “saved” the change. At that point it stopped working altogether (either old IP or new IP)… manual reset of the Camera also doesn’t work, so I’m going to RMA the unit.

Pity, as the overall build feels nice, and I was looking forward to adding it the AirVision Control Software. I have it running as a VirtualBox Ubuntu on my Mac, and that install was fairly straightfoward to get going.

Anyhow, when I hear back, I’ll let you know, but I’d hold off for the moment…

PS: I split this post out, starting with @325xi’s original announcement of it, since I figure it’s going to get long :wink:

I have this camera but i can’t make it work with my Vera3 device.
I can’t have video recognized and i try a great number of parameters.

How i Do to view this camera?

Bump…Got this camera on the way and would also like to see if someone got a generic plugin to work.

thanks,

Rick

FWIW…

I don’t know if this will help any for testing.

I am getting ready to order the airCam, airCam Mini and airCam Dome. It looks like the camera specs are the same in all three. I use the Android IPCAM Viewer Pro by Robert Chou on my Nexus Galaxy and “it has an entry selection for the Ubiquiti airCam”.

Make:
Model: or

Also FYI, I got my VistaCam working on IPCam Viewer Pro by selecting DLink 2000 and using the URL values defined in my Vera3 control settings.

URL=  /img/snapshot.cgi?sizen=320x240&quality=Normal

When I receive and configure the Ubiquiti airCam’s I’ll try to post more.

Hope this helps…a little.

MWP

Thanks. I have the same app on android and it does work great. I’m going to try setting up the Airvision nvr and the other airvision software on a PC when I get home and then try the DVR utilty plug in for vera. Hopefully the combo will avoid luup hunting (still new at this, but it seems reasonable).

[quote=“mwp, post:18, topic:169458”]FWIW…

I don’t know if this will help any for testing.

I am getting ready to order the airCam, airCam Mini and airCam Dome. It looks like the camera specs are the same in all three. I use the Android IPCAM Viewer Pro by Robert Chou on my Nexus Galaxy and “it has an entry selection for the Ubiquiti airCam”.

Make:
Model: or

Also FYI, I got my VistaCam working on IPCam Viewer Pro by selecting DLink 2000 and using the URL values defined in my Vera3 control settings.

URL=  /img/snapshot.cgi?sizen=320x240&quality=Normal

When I receive and configure the Ubiquiti airCam’s I’ll try to post more.

Hope this helps…a little.

MWP[/quote]

Received the Ubiquiti airCam this afternoon. Unboxed and connected to laptop and configured DHCP and the camera came up via web browser…Presto.

Configured on Android using IP Cam Viewer…no problem. Configured in SQ Remote HD on my IPad using URL assignment then entered the camera.

Then, I went to add device> IP camera in Vera and it could not get the image and wouldn’t create a device. I used the same URL as in each of my other tests.

I did an end-around and created a device for a camera I already have configured and then tried to modify for the airCam. I noticed while working in two browser windows (one UI5 window and browser http window directly into the airCam) and that the HTTP from the web browser using http://aircamipaddress/snapshot.cgi would provide a snapshot just as you would see in Vera, however, I did notice after multiple attempts that I was then presented with the camera Login screen (almost like a timeout). Once I logged in again I could repeat the http://aircamipaddress/snapshot.cgi and get a snapshot from the airCam. On numerous occasions my Vera airCam device that I created was tring to retrieve the snapshot.cgi but looked like it may not be getting through the login screen on the airCam. I did have the Vera device configured with the airCam administrator username and password, but no Luck. Well finished for the evening, I will pick back up tomorrow and start playing with my NanoStation M5’s.

One other note I was able to get the airCam to display a snapshot from the airCam using the following URL from my web browser

http://aircamipaddress/snapshot.cgi?sizen=320x240&quality=Normal

Other than that it seems like a decent camera so far, a light weight “plastic” device…hope it can withstand a little “Mid-West” weather under my roof overhangs.

MWP