Tutorial for U17 upgrade

Is there a tutorial for upgrading from U15 to U17 (sorry for the duplicate post).

Let me spoil the surprise … the last chapter would show how to revert back to UI5 :cold_sweat:

Well, I guess that answers it all ;D

Thanks

I guess I am among the few users that has had a good upgrade experience to UI7.
Here’s what I did:

[ol][li]I went to [url=http://home.getvera.com/users/login]http://home.getvera.com/users/login[/url][/li]
[li]I clicked on the link “I have a new gateway to setup!” even though I already had my gateway set up with an account[/li]
[li]I selected veralite and entered the serial number and MAC address[/li]
[li]The website found my veralite, upgraded it, and then took me to the new account creation page.[/li]
[li]I created a new account and it took me to UI7 on my veralite[/li][/ol]

All my devices just worked including a CT30 thermostat, two Kwikset locks, a few other switches and outlets, an old android phone running IP Webcam.

[quote=“WrightPC, post:4, topic:183900”]I guess I am among the few users that has had a good upgrade experience to UI7.
Here’s what I did:

[ol][li]I went to [url=http://home.getvera.com/users/login]http://home.getvera.com/users/login[/url][/li]
[li]I clicked on the link “I have a new gateway to setup!” even though I already had my gateway set up with an account[/li]
[li]The website found my veralite, upgraded it, and then took me to the new account creation page.[/li]

All my devices just worked including a CT30 thermostat, two Kwikset locks, a few other switches and outlets, an old android phone running IP Webcam.[/quote]

It’s plugins that don’t work, and on the thermostates they have problems in auto mode setting both the heat and the cool temps and turning fan from auto to manual on.

[quote=“WrightPC, post:4, topic:183900”]I guess I am among the few users that has had a good upgrade experience to UI7.
Here’s what I did:

Thank you - good info. :smiley:

All my devices just worked including a CT30 thermostat, two Kwikset locks, a few other switches and outlets, an old android phone running IP Webcam.[/quote]

@WrightPC - from what version did you upgrade to UI7? Did you jump straight from UI5, or were you on UI6?

There are missing features in UI7 as well … It’s really something between an alpha and beta test.

I have a test system … on it I am on a test version … newer than the current UI7 release …
My test system would crash after about 7 minutes after making any changes … turns out they found they forgot to change some code that my system tripped regularly.
The current version I am testing with solves that problem, but has a different set of bugs …

i.e. there are a lot of land mines in UI7 still … I have not even considered moving my personal house system to UI7.

Unless you do not mind spending hours trying to figure out why something doesn’t work and how to work around it … I would stay on UI5.

One of these days UI7 will be a quality release with a good probability that your system will work as expected when you upgrade. It’a just not there yet.
If you do upgrade … then DO NOT COMPLAIN about bugs and how to convert back. If you upgrade you are asking to be a beta tester and you should expect problems.

Points taken. Thanks. I’ll stick with UI5 for now.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:8, topic:183900”]There are missing features in UI7 as well … It’s really something between an alpha and beta test.

I have a test system … on it I am on a test version … newer than the current UI7 release …
My test system would crash after about 7 minutes after making any changes … turns out they found they forgot to change some code that my system tripped regularly.
The current version I am testing with solves that problem, but has a different set of bugs …

i.e. there are a lot of land mines in UI7 still … I have not even considered moving my personal house system to UI7.

Unless you do not mind spending hours trying to figure out why something doesn’t work and how to work around it … I would stay on UI5.

One of these days UI7 will be a quality release with a good probability that your system will work as expected when you upgrade. It’a just not there yet.
If you do upgrade … then DO NOT COMPLAIN about bugs and how to convert back. If you upgrade you are asking to be a beta tester and you should expect problems.[/quote]

Thanks - appreciate the info. I will stay on U15 until U17 is better suited to us novices ??? ???

They just dropped a new UI7 release … it looks like some missing features have been added … I will report back after a few days of testing it.

Awesome, thank you for responsding

I switched from UI5 to UI7.

Here’s what I did:

I tried this method with my Vera3 (and selected Vera3 instead of VeraLite of course)… failed. I also noticed the last letter in my MAC on their account is E instead of F. I tried adding it on my own with the correct MAC and nope, FAIL.

This is very frustrating…

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:8, topic:183900”]There are missing features in UI7 as well … It’s really something between an alpha and beta test.

If you do upgrade … then DO NOT COMPLAIN about bugs and how to convert back. If you upgrade you are asking to be a beta tester and you should expect problems.[/quote]

I know this is very old. Can anyone post best practice for upgrading a big system from UI5 to UI7? I tried it a few years ago and had to revert back to UI5

Ty

[quote=“resq93, post:15, topic:183900”]I know this is very old. Can anyone post best practice for upgrading a big system from UI5 to UI7? I tried it a few years ago and had to revert back to UI5

Ty[/quote]

There are more recent posts with good information in them.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,51747.0.html

I just had to go from Vera 3 UI5 to VeraPlus UI7. Lots of plugins

First off I decided to do it the long way. Manually excluding/including all my devices. Rewrote every line in my 3 PLEGs. Installed all plugins as new.

The result for me was fine. VeraPlus has been stable, and working faster and no reloads. Everything is back as before and I have been running UI7 for 2 weeks with no problems. 25 scenes are all working fine. The only thing I did not re install was the DM plugin. As I understand it, UI7 cannot do CIFS, so I did not set it up yet. I would love to have it back, but it will have to wait.

After everything is up and running, I use AltUi to work in UI7. The Vera GUI is not very good to work with. Takes a lot of clicking to get around and see whats going on.

Start from scratch, do not migrate data, and you should be fine.

Hello, Ty - I was just revisiting this to get a Vera Lite on a UI that works - I put it on the shelf some years ago after upgrading firmware to UI6.

I thought to return it UI5, which is what I use on the home system.

I see there’s about three years between previous comments and yours…

Standing by!

[quote=“resq93, post:15, topic:183900”][quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:8, topic:183900”]There are missing features in UI7 as well … It’s really something between an alpha and beta test.

I know this is very old. Can anyone post best practice for upgrading a big system from UI5 to UI7? I tried it a few years ago and had to revert back to UI5

Ty[/quote]

I’ve been trying to upgrade from V3 and UI5 to a VP and UI7 and I’m about to go back to the old, stable hardware and software. This just sucks. I started from scratch and rebuilt everything. Most cameras won’t pan or tilt no matter what combination of implementation files, commands, etc. I try. My USB Ademco alarm interface suddenly listed all door and window sensors as motion sensors and, much much worse, the response time to the Vera system was anywhere from a few seconds to a few HOURS when a sensor was tripped. I switched to an Envisalink connection to my alarm and now the sensors seem more responsive, but I’m getting random alerts about the sensors being triggered or not. I was sitting next to my open front door watching alerts in the system showing the door sensor being tripped and closed again repeatedly…complete phantom crap. I usually get a connection alert from the VeraPlus at least once a day saying it lost its connection. Or I get texts hours after the event was logged in Vera. Or duplicate/triplicate/quadruplicate texts for single events. :-\Many scenes don’t work at all in UI7 if I had any luup code in them…they just don’t work. This has been a total waste of time and money and this is the first situation that’s made me want to look for an entirely new home automation platform…I no longer have any trust in any part of this system.

[quote=“bucko, post:17, topic:183900”]I just had to go from Vera 3 UI5 to VeraPlus UI7. Lots of plugins

First off I decided to do it the long way. Manually excluding/including all my devices. Rewrote every line in my 3 PLEGs. Installed all plugins as new.

The result for me was fine. VeraPlus has been stable, and working faster and no reloads. Everything is back as before and I have been running UI7 for 2 weeks with no problems. 25 scenes are all working fine. The only thing I did not re install was the DM plugin. As I understand it, UI7 cannot do CIFS, so I did not set it up yet. I would love to have it back, but it will have to wait.

After everything is up and running, I use AltUi to work in UI7. The Vera GUI is not very good to work with. Takes a lot of clicking to get around and see whats going on.

Start from scratch, do not migrate data, and you should be fine.[/quote]

Wow. don’t think I have that kind of time in my life right now. I am on Vera3 and lately its been slow and more unstable than in the past. I was hoping someone had a good experience with a controller shift like MCV recommends.

If i had to rebuild everything I may be inclined to switch to another platform, not sure which one would allow me the level of customization I have (with PLEG of course)