Turn off light 5 minutes after it was turned on

I have a light in a closet that I’d like to turn off 5 minutes after it’s turned on. I can’t figure out how to do that from the UI. The triggers only seem to send notifications. Would the countdown timer work? If so, I’m not sure how to use it. Any ideas?

I think I create a scene to turn the light off. And then set a trigger on the light being turned on. How do I tell it to wait 5 minutes and then turn it off?

Nevermind. I got it.

Create a scene and set a delay of 5 minutes to turn the light off. Set a trigger on the light turning on.

Just to note, that if your switch that turns on the light in the closet does not support instant status, the scene will not kick in to turn the light off at exactly 5 minutes. It may delay by a few minutes.

• Garrett

Ah okay. Thanks for the tip! Exactly 5 minutes is not a big deal for this switch but it’s good to keep in mind.

I solved the closet light problem by simply getting a simple motion detector (non-zwave) switch. Motion detector switches are usually cheaper than a zwave switch as well.

I did not see any benefit to including the closet light as part of the home automation network.

[quote=“aa6vh, post:5, topic:175849”]I solved the closet light problem by simply getting a simple motion detector (non-zwave) switch. Motion detector switches are usually cheaper than a zwave switch as well.

I did not see any benefit to including the closet light as part of the home automation network.[/quote]If I did that for my closet, it would turn on all the time, since the closet switch is outside the closet.

You might not see any benefit, others do. With a walkin closet and motion sensors, it’s nicer not to have to fumble with switches when carrying laundry, etc. And you don’t have to worry about leaving the lights (4 in my case) on when you leave.