Toggle Switch

Does anyone make a normal z-wave enabled toggle switch? That is to say a non-rocker switch, but a toggle like you see 90% of the time…

Jasco has released or is about to release 45740/ZW4003 Switch, but I don;t know where you can buy them yet. You might want to contact @haworld at http://www.haworldonline.com/. He seems to have access to the new Jasco 457xx series switches.

Understand that this switch is still a momentary, return to center position, switch.

Your other alternative is to use a standard/existing switch, but connect it to something like the Aeon Labs DSC26103-ZWUS - Z-Wave In-Wall Micro Controller.

I’m not sure if you want the old look or the on and off position only.

The problem is when you turn on the switch by hand, you flip it up. Then when you turn off by z-wave (or another switch like 3-way) that switch will still be in the up or on position but the light won’t be on.

This is a problem. I used to have several 3 way old switches in a few rooms and you would never know which way to flip all the switches to turn everything off. Some are up some are down all depends on the switch on the other side.

With a 3 position toggle on-rest-off the light switches always toggle (return) to the middle and if you press down it turns them off and returns to the middle.

Perhaps you could attach a light to the circuit that would come on when the circuit was live, so that you could see when the switch is on or off. ;D

Is the Aeon Labs controller pretty much the same as the Enerwave? Can you use a single pole switch with these? Basically the on/off printed on the switch will be pointless with z-wave. Or would you need to install a 3-way switch?

Thanks for the responses

[quote=“tameanaka, post:5, topic:183322”]Is the Aeon Labs controller pretty much the same as the Enerwave? Can you use a single pole switch with these? Basically the on/off printed on the switch will be pointless with z-wave. Or would you need to install a 3-way switch?

Thanks for the responses[/quote]

Yes it is pretty much the same. It’s like adding a hidden (in wall) 3 way switch to your current setup. you can turn it on or off from either the z-wave switch or the original wall switch.

Yes you can use single pole.

Yes the on/off printed on the switch would be pointless as the switch could be “up” but light is off. or vis versa. This is why new switches (not just z-wave but non z-wave 3-ways) are toggle with a middle resting spot to get ride of this problem.

Perhaps you could attach a light to the circuit that would come on when the circuit was live, so that you could see when the switch is on or off. ;D[/quote]

Thanks, I never thought of that…

In all seriousness tho. This stupid house even in the front guest bedroom (has front patio access from the bedroom, so has an exterior door) has 3 ways switches when you walk in the room from the house and from the patio. Each door has 4 (3-way) switches. Ceiling fan, ceiling light, front patio light outside of this bedroom doom and a plug/outlet on top of the closet (vaulted high ceiling) which is used for an accent or up light, but we don’t have anything plugged into it.

The patio light with blinds closed and the accent light are near impossible to detect on or off right now. The other 2 ok. But with 4 switches next to each door in the room and half all facing different directions a person unfamiliar with the setup is fun to watch when you tell them turn off all the lights.

And this is just a guest room. The main master has 15 switches (some 3 ways) and every other room is a cluster of weird switches.

Perhaps you could attach a light to the circuit that would come on when the circuit was live, so that you could see when the switch is on or off. ;D[/quote]

Thanks, I never thought of that…

In all seriousness tho. This stupid house even in the front guest bedroom (has front patio access from the bedroom, so has an exterior door) has 3 ways switches when you walk in the room from the house and from the patio. Each door has 4 (3-way) switches. Ceiling fan, ceiling light, front patio light outside of this bedroom doom and a plug/outlet on top of the closet (vaulted high ceiling) which is used for an accent or up light, but we don’t have anything plugged into it.

The patio light with blinds closed and the accent light are near impossible to detect on or off right now. The other 2 ok. But with 4 switches next to each door in the room and half all facing different directions a person unfamiliar with the setup is fun to watch when you tell them turn off all the lights.

And this is just a guest room. The main master has 15 switches (some 3 ways) and every other room is a cluster of weird switches.[/quote]

Sorry to sidetrack further, but…
Not a z-wave solution, but don’t they sell some switches that have LEDs behind the switch to let you know when there is a load? I think they are really meant to illuminate at night, but could be a good indicator for if the switch is providing power or not.

:o

15 switches in a single bedroom is more than I’ve ever heard of before. That must be quite a bedroom! How do you keep track of which switch is which? Are they labeled?

:o

15 switches in a single bedroom is more than I’ve ever heard of before. That must be quite a bedroom! How do you keep track of which switch is which? Are they labeled?[/quote]

They are not labeled and it’s because the master is very opened with the walk threw closets and bathrooms so its not just one big square with all switches on one wall. There is access to back patio with has patio lights, ceiling fans and lights on the fans. So that door has 3 switches which are all 3 ways with another patio exit door (family room). Coming into the master from the house you have 4 switches with again master bedroom fans, fan lights, accent or up lighting on the vaulted ceilings then can lights around the perimeter of the master room. Walk threw closets have lights, there is a sit down makeup or desk like area with lighting, then normal dual sink lights, over shower lights, over spa tub lights, accent up lighting, then there is finally a door with the toilet that has a fan and a light switch in there.

So it’s really like a big master bedroom with open closet and bathroom walk threw, only door is for the toilet its self. All these switches all scattered around on different walls usually grouped in 3 or 4 boxes. Some are 3 ways and was confusing as hell.

I have a few different types but I am standardizing on DSC26103 with a three way “traditional switch” for simple on/off locations. By using the three way I avoid the on/off marking that would conflict with ZWave initiated state changes.

I just wish the DSC’s were a tad smaller, perhaps more elongated too to match the general rectangular shape of the box. Wouldn’t hurt if they dropped a bit in price too. Get them to $19.99 and I’d probably put them on every switch in my house.

I’m not following? How do you use this and get the traditional switch to change positions?

Only time I used the DSC26103 is when I needed to install it up in the light box since I had no neutral or easy way to get one into the switch box. This was for a signal pantry light bulb. The switch is now never in the same position.

For the same price I just buy the LOWES IRIS GE on off switches. Item #: 339577 | Model #: 45637 from www.LOWES.com it cost 35.00 local and you can find 10% off or 10.00 of 50.00 coupons online that I pay 30.00 usually for them and they are local to me.

I have 5 of them installed. All in the switch location. They work great. The tradition switch wires into the module and then the module breaks the circuit. If you’ve used these you must understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote=“integlikewhoa”]The problem is when you turn on the switch by hand, you flip it up. Then when you turn off by z-wave (or another switch like 3-way) that switch will still be in the up or on position but the light won’t be on.

This is a problem.[/quote]

Really?!!? This is a problem. 3 way switches have worked this way for say 80-100 years now. Doesn’t seem like much of a crisis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup they used to work that way and they have now changed due to “Technological advances”. Most of us on here want something that works better then the old stuff or we might not be looking into automation.

New 3 way switches non z-wave have already go to same idea. No reason to have switches all outta wack in different positions with no indicator of on or off if you don’t have to. TECHNOLOGY is great!

Are you saying that there are standard 3 or 4-way switches that do not reverse direction? I haven’t seen such a switch. If that is what you meant, can you point me to one?

Are you saying that there are standard 3 or 4-way switches that do not reverse direction? I haven’t seen such a switch. If that is what you meant, can you point me to one?[/quote]

Would love to see these as well, I haven’t seen those either.

I’ll check them out next time I’m at the HW store. All mine are z-wave now same concept.