time keeps getting reset

my original supplier is going to replace this unit as they believe there to be a hardware fault…

thanks everyone for your help… I’ll update this post when I get the new unit - to confirm the issue or not.

You should have said, fortunately UTC, the one other time we can get is in fact GMT, so until we hit BST again it is exactly the time you want.

The command you need is:

date -D ‘%b. %d, %H:%M:%S’ -s “wget -q -O - http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl | grep -E 'UTC' | cut -c5-21

Actually the one other thing I need to say is that when celebrating new year you probably want to:

touch /etc/init.d/luci_fixtime

because the US Navy in their infinite wisdom don’t tell you the year, so it will make use of the currently set year, but getting the year right is probably slightly less important than the time.

[I also just realised I got it slightly wrong in the earlier posting the %H should be %I, so I will go back and fix that because the Navy isn’t working in 24 hour time for anything other than UTC]

Over the past few days I have noticed that when internet service fails the Vera resets itself and default back to the time on the file /etc/init.d/luci_fixtime

It is interesting that the Vera should decide to reboot itself in this way, but people who have trouble with the time resetting should look at whether their internet access is less reliable than they realise, not that there is any excuse for a system reboot for that reason!

As an update to this issue. The support guys at MCV have updated my firmware and this has resolved the problem… so if anyone else experiences this issue contact tech support and get firmware version 1.1.1130 (or later).