Thermostat Recomendations "Smart" vs. "Programable"

Let me preface this by saying that I although I am highly proficient in the use of technology, I am still a beginner when it comes to home automation.

I am looking at replacing my home thermostats (I have 2 indepenent zones each with its own thermostat). I have been doing a lot of research on the various options available but would like more input from experienced users in regards to the benefits/drawbacks of going with a smart thermostat such as Nest or Ecobee vs. a progrmable z-wave thermostat such as Trane TZ400BB3VZNNSL or Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U

what can i gain from using one vs. the other?

what functionality do i give up?

can you give me some examples of thermostat applications you have used besides the typical “turn on at x time”?

thanks

I suppose it boils down to what features you desire and what ones you don’t want. Also What kind of HVAC system you have or intend to have. You don’t want to get a thermostat that will not be compatible with the new Multistage systems if you plan to upgrade your HVAC unit.

Zwave only thermostats communicate only via a zwave controller. I don’t think it is all that much a issue anymore with all the cross platform control that Vera offers.

Nest is a learning one on the market. It anticipates what temp you want and when. It’s now a Google product and that concerns me. It has a very simple user interface. That is good.

Honeywell , ecobee and others can seem more complex as all the info on the touch screen.
They all work well.

A Wifi stat may have non Zwave features like Weather info, outside temp and such right on the display.

[quote=“zmistro, post:2, topic:184794”]I suppose it boils down to what features you desire and what ones you don’t want. Also What kind of HVAC system you have or intend to have. You don’t want to get a thermostat that will not be compatible with the new Multistage systems if you plan to upgrade your HVAC unit.

Zwave only thermostats communicate only via a zwave controller. I don’t think it is all that much a issue anymore with all the cross platform control that Vera offers.

Nest is a learning one on the market. It anticipates what temp you want and when. It’s now a Google product and that concerns me. It has a very simple user interface. That is good.

Honeywell , ecobee and others can seem more complex as all the info on the touch screen.
They all work well.

A Wifi stat may have non Zwave features like Weather info, outside temp and such right on the display.[/quote]

ecobee3 and nest requires you to have internet connect to edit the thermostat.

I wanted to know if the CT-32 z-wave plus if anyone has it working with the UI7?

I am an engineer and a prolific tinkerer. I debated this issue myself for about a year. I have a larger home (2400 sf) and I plan to eventually upgrade to a single HVAC unit with a 3-zoned duct system. But currently, I have 2 separate systems with some really old and undersized duct work.

I settled on the RCS programmable thermostats. The Nest and Ecobee have some neat features to them. But the RCS allows for remote temp sensors and is $100 cheaper per unit. I like this because I can place all the thermostats in one location instead of one in my living room and one upstairs with the kids. I purchased some hardwired sensors for the time being; however, the thermostat allows you to use Z-wave temp sensors instead and I may take it up on these later down the line.

I figured with the Vera unit, I did not need the features provided in the Nest and Ecobee units. The Vera can determine if I am home or not via scene activation and then eventually by geofencing. All my programming can be set by the Vera and overridden by the Vera. For example, I can set temperatures my bedroom area, the living area and the upstairs kids area based on the home, sleeping, away or vacation house scenes. Also, I can set my cooling temperatures more aggressively in the summer if the indoor humidity increases. I also plan to add a whole house ventilation damper to the A/C and will be able to control this by the Vera based on outside temp + humidity vs inside temp + humidity. I live in New Orleans, humidity is a big deal.

When I do upgrade the system, I will get a two-staged equipment and I will add a relay on the second stage that allows me to turn off the second stage for better humidity control.

So given all of these possibilities with the Vera, I just did not see the need for the Nest or Ecobee.

Btw, If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Ecobee.

Also, the RCS thermostat is a Z-wave device and thus does not require a plug-in or an online account to interface with. It interfaces directly with the Vera unit.

I used the RCS TZ-45

I agree. Even the scheduling can be handled by the vera, so what you really need at a minimum is a good thermostat with temp input and display and z-wave capability.

[quote=“clsanchez77”]I am an engineer and a prolific tinkerer. I debated this issue myself for about a year. I have a larger home (2400 sf) and I plan to eventually upgrade to a single HVAC unit with a 3-zoned duct system. But currently, I have 2 separate systems with some really old and undersized duct work.

I settled on the RCS programmable thermostats. The Nest and Ecobee have some neat features to them. But the RCS allows for remote temp sensors and is $100 cheaper per unit. I like this because I can place all the thermostats in one location instead of one in my living room and one upstairs with the kids. I purchased some hardwired sensors for the time being; however, the thermostat allows you to use Z-wave temp sensors instead and I may take it up on these later down the line.

I figured with the Vera unit, I did not need the features provided in the Nest and Ecobee units. The Vera can determine if I am home or not via scene activation and then eventually by geofencing. All my programming can be set by the Vera and overridden by the Vera. For example, I can set temperatures my bedroom area, the living area and the upstairs kids area based on the home, sleeping, away or vacation house scenes. Also, I can set my cooling temperatures more aggressively in the summer if the indoor humidity increases. I also plan to add a whole house ventilation damper to the A/C and will be able to control this by the Vera based on outside temp + humidity vs inside temp + humidity. I live in New Orleans, humidity is a big deal.

When I do upgrade the system, I will get a two-staged equipment and I will add a relay on the second stage that allows me to turn off the second stage for better humidity control.

So given all of these possibilities with the Vera, I just did not see the need for the Nest or Ecobee.

Btw, If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Ecobee.[/quote]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all. I ordered the TRANE thermostats. I’m waiting for my HVAC guy to install them so I can start playing with them.

Cool, keep us posted. I received my to RCS units, installed them on the wall in a new location and ran the 18/7 wire from the units to the two HVAC units. I also installed the two remote temp sensors in my upstairs bedrooms and ran the shielded 22/2 wire to one of the RCS units. Now I’m waiting on my brother (AC guy) to wire them up at the HVAC unit. The space in there is too tight for my clumsy fingers.