Thermostat not turning on the heat consistently

So I have a few questions about Vera in general and also specifically with respect to thermostats. But some background first…

I had my furnace serviced yesterday which required the power to be shut off from all three thermostats (one Trane, one RCS and one Honeywell). After everything was back up and running we cranked the heating setpoint up and all three zones started heating up. Changed the setpoints back to normal. Later that night I realized it was getting very cold and saw that all three thermostats showed a currently temperature 2-5 degrees below the setpoint, but no heat came on. I moved the setpoints up but could get anything to happen on any of the zones. I also noticed that the cooling setpoint had changed even though I hadn’t touched it (I had changed it last week as these are all newish thermostats that had the default cooling settings).

This morning I played with the settings more to try and get things heated up to no avail. I also thought (but not positive) that the setpoints were not where I had left them. So I created a PLEG object to send me alerts when the setpoints change. This process caused me to save/refresh the Vera. All of a sudden things started working as they should.

So after the long wind-up we get to the questions:

Does this sound like something reloading Vera would fix?
Should I expect this to happen again?
I thought I saw somewhere that Vera reloads itself every night, is this true? What time? If it does shouldn’t this have fixed my problem?

And one other thing that I noticed about how my Vera web portal is working. If I change the temperature setpoint on one of my thermostats through the web portal I immediately see it reflected in the device status window (or whatever you call what shows up on the Dashboard or Devices tab). But if I click the wrench and go to the Advanced tab the old setpoint is shown. Refreshing the whole browser window causes the correct info to show up in Advanced.

Is this just a refresh issue with the browser and nothing to worry about?

As a follow up to that, I have been leaving my browser window open pretty much all the time as I’m constantly going in there to play around (it’s new and I’m still fascinated by it). Is it possible that if I make a change through my phone that the browser will somehow “refresh” itself and stick the old value back it?

I hope some kind soul has the patience to read through the novel I wrote and offer some useful advice.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“CraigO, post:1, topic:180008”]So I have a few questions about Vera in general and also specifically with respect to thermostats. But some background first…

I had my furnace serviced yesterday which required the power to be shut off from all three thermostats (one Trane, one RCS and one Honeywell). After everything was back up and running we cranked the heating setpoint up and all three zones started heating up. Changed the setpoints back to normal. Later that night I realized it was getting very cold and saw that all three thermostats showed a currently temperature 2-5 degrees below the setpoint, but no heat came on. I moved the setpoints up but could get anything to happen on any of the zones. I also noticed that the cooling setpoint had changed even though I hadn’t touched it (I had changed it last week as these are all newish thermostats that had the default cooling settings).

This morning I played with the settings more to try and get things heated up to no avail. I also thought (but not positive) that the setpoints were not where I had left them. So I created a PLEG object to send me alerts when the setpoints change. This process caused me to save/refresh the Vera. All of a sudden things started working as they should.[/quote]

Disconnecting the power could have been the culprit. Perhaps vera didn’t send any new instructions to adjust the set points, because you were between scenes.

[quote=“CraigO, post:1, topic:180008”]So after the long wind-up we get to the questions:

Does this sound like something reloading Vera would fix?[/quote]

I am not sure you really had a problem

maybe next time you have the HVAC serviced

yes and no. Vera will only update the temperatures when you tell it to. You cold have a problem if you scheduled a scene whilst vera was restarting

It gets updated at the next poll. On the browser, you are viewing it before the poll. Normal behavior.

Don’t worry, just remember to go into vera and reset your thermostats to desired set points after you disconnect the power.

Only if a scene or PLEG is doing that.

Thanks for the comments. If I need to reboot/reload the Vera after a power loss to the thermostats I can deal with that.

However; I’m definitely having some problem. As I was staring at the screen the setpoints for both heating and cooling changed for one of my thermostats. No idea why. I don’t have any scenes that are scheduled to do that and none of my scenes set it to those values anyway. On the good side my PLEG/VeraAlert for that event worked great.

I checked through the LuaUPnP.log file to try and figure out if something triggered the change but all I see is this:

06 03/06/14 15:59:36.265 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 14 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat variable: e[35;1mCurrentSetpointe[0m was: 64 now: 70 #hooks: 2 upnp: 0 v:0x9e5cb0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x2b679680>

then a few lines later this:

06 03/06/14 15:59:37.145 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 14 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool variable: e[35;1mCurrentSetpointe[0m was: 73 now: 78 #hooks: 2 upnp: 0 v:0x9e98c0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x2b679680>

Also, after the heating setpoint changed (by going up 6 degrees) the heat didn’t come on. So current temp is 63, thermostat now set for 70 and it’s doing nothing.

Any ideas?

So is your thermostat set to heat, or cool, or auto? Your thermostats have 2 set points. A heat set point and a cool set point. Which mode are you in?

I partially solved the problem. Apparently during the furnace maintenance, when the guy was trying to raise the heating setpoint to test the furnace after he was done he enabled the built in schedule. Which is set to change the setpoints @ 4PM just like I saw. I disabled that and hopefully now the temperature setpoints won’t change outside of Vera anymore.

But I’m now back to having the furnace not come on when it should. I’ve been staring at a temperature difference of 7 degrees between actual and setpoint and nothing for over an hour.

According to the ModeState the thermostat is in Heating mode, but no heat is coming out. A thermostat in another zone is doing the same thing and I know that it was not touched as part of the furnace maintenance yesterday.

Aaaaannnd… now it’s working again. I changed the one thermostat from auto to heat (from Vera with no luck) and back to auto (from the thermostat itself) and within seconds the heat came on in both zones.

I’m guessing when the built-in schedule kicks in it screws up lots of things and takes a while to sort itself out. Hopefully it’s all good now.

Just saw your last question/reply bulldoglowell, all the setpoints I’ve been talking about were the heating one and I was in auto mode for everything except the very last step. Thanks.