There is something wrong with my installation?

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out if there is anything wrong with my installation. I am not an electrician in anyway but does not suppose the Watts change accordingly amps or volts?

I’m am using HEM from Aeotec, and a Vera controller fw:1.7.4453

what is the variables code that you are using? is HEM reporting Volts and Amps?

Hi,

This are the ones I am using:

1. serviceVar=“KWH”
  2. serviceVar=“KWHReading”
  3. serviceVar=“Volts”
  4. serviceVar=“Amps”
  5. serviceVar=“Watts”

is the volts and amps being displayed on the device in device list?

Don’t think so.

My variable set are:
101-Report 1,4d,6927,
102-Report 2,4d,0,
103-Report 3,4d,0,
111-Report 1 Interval,4d,60

then it isnt being reported u have to have some data to send to hundredgraphs only Watts and KWH are currently being reported

Hi, Thank you for responding.

I’m not following.

Reported Volts seems to be ok at 127 V. I don’t have a way to confirm if HEM reported Amps is right but I guess so. My original question was about why or if I did something wrong during the installation or configuration that can make that behavior of having Watts spike despite having a relatively constant volts and ampere consumption.

Let me share a piece of the logs:

Just a thought… Scaling on your graph… The amperage is always going to be very low so putting that on the same scale as wattage will make it very difficult to read. Could you try plotting it on an other graph or with a secondary scale?

1 Like

i think you would have to create variables for volts and amps

im gonna configure mine like yous and test it

1 Like

^^ This is the answer.

P(power, W) = I(current, A) x V(voltage, V)

OP’s chart wouldn’t show changes in Wattage without corresponding current changes. Assuming 120V line voltage, OP’s second to last log point of around 1500W would be 120V and 12.5A. OP is plotting with 500-unit gradient so the amps won’t be as evident.

If one seeks to validate the monitoring… Flip off all breakers but one and run something of a known static load, like a heater. Confirm (say 1500W) on the one clamp line (assuming the meter is the kind with a clamp around each of the feeding utility lines- this is what mine is). Swap the device to a breaker receiving power from the other hot line and repeat.

Watts are Watts, so the devices likely assume residential voltage and measure current (clamp meter) to provide Wattage. Maybe they can do something cute and infer voltage from the plugged-in power source for the sensor. Anyway… Voltage can be transient based upon load (why incandescent lights dim when a blender or appliance is run) so “yes”, the calculation in this instance would be inaccurate depending on what you’re looking for. My energy meter is usually in concert with what the utility records off the meter for the bill, unless my controller is having problems. Devices to accurately measure both voltage and current are unnecessary.

Will see how can I test it as suggested.

I would like to see whats that “phantom” load.

You said your energy meter is in sync with the utility. How did you do that?

Thanks.

Thank you, does not seems to be an option to put it in another axis.

Just stick with monitoring Wattage–it’s what matters for consumption.
I don’t have any “sync” with the utility. I meant that reviewing daily, weekly, and billing cycle usage numbers online from my utility I’ve noticed my monitor is measuring reasonably the same.