Temperature control help for a newcomer please

Hi

I am a newcomer to the world of Vera, I’m upgrading my heating system to a heat pump and Danfoss valves giving zone control over some of the rooms. That’s all set up and I can now start and stop the heat pump and adjust valve temperatures at different times of day from the computer.

The areas I am having more trouble with are temperature control, I have the Everspring temperature sensor, this gives me the room temperature on Vera. Is there a simple way of setting this to control the heat pump switch apart from using 2 separate scenes, one for high temperature and one for low??

I want to set different temperatures for different times of day, I can see timers in Scenes but not the ability to say "This scene wil be active between 9am and 5pm and a different one from 5pm to 9pm.

I also want to integrate a motion sensor to monitor occupancy during the day and only heat if someone is in, it looks like I need to use Luup code to achieve that unless there is an “and” function I am missing

The final thing is logging, I want to log temperature and energy use, I have the Aeon clamp meter though I can’t get it to read yet, I have a second Everspring temperature meter for outside temperature, I need to log the 3 parameters and can’t see an easy way of setting it up

Can some of the old hands here tell me if I am missing easy ways of doing things and maybe help with code snippits if someone has been there before and done it all??

Thanks

Nick

I have exactly the same problem / requirement. Simply turning on an electric heater with target temperature defined using the Everspring ST814 sensor, but only when a motion sensor detects my presence. Sounds simple, but being a newbie, I am getting lost trying to design a proper “scene” for this…

Regards,
Headworx

The answer is that you need code for it, relatively simple code and there are examples on the web in the Wiki etc, but code all the same to make up for the lack of the “and” function in the scenes creation.

I have made a suggestion on how the scenes tab could be re-written to provide an “easy to use” and function but have no idea whether MCV are interested in doing that sort of thing.

I’ve been working with Vera for a few weeks now, got it generally doing what I want, but not as easy as the publicity made you think.

If you are trying to do anything with temperature the Everspring and Vera’s interface to it are not reliable enough, there is a plug in that is very easy to implement for something called a “one wire sensor” (a wired sensor plugged into the ethernet in your house anywhere convenient), I have put that on and get 0.1C resolution and reliable updates. With Vera trying to read Everspring I was getting 1 degree resolution and unreliable updates that sometimes had to shift 3 degrees before it bothered to update.

Good luck on the journey, Vera is controlling the air source heat pump here and a couple of Danfoss valves (cantankerous things) and the heating is settling down and becoming a steady comfortable heat through the house.

Nick

Nick, thanks for the explanation. I start understanding how the system works now. I think I can handle some scripting.

Regards,
Headworx

[quote=“nickrwym, post:3, topic:169583”]The answer is that you need code for it, relatively simple code and there are examples on the web in the Wiki etc, but code all the same to make up for the lack of the “and” function in the scenes creation.

I have made a suggestion on how the scenes tab could be re-written to provide an “easy to use” and function but have no idea whether MCV are interested in doing that sort of thing.

I’ve been working with Vera for a few weeks now, got it generally doing what I want, but not as easy as the publicity made you think.

If you are trying to do anything with temperature the Everspring and Vera’s interface to it are not reliable enough, there is a plug in that is very easy to implement for something called a “one wire sensor” (a wired sensor plugged into the ethernet in your house anywhere convenient), I have put that on and get 0.1C resolution and reliable updates. With Vera trying to read Everspring I was getting 1 degree resolution and unreliable updates that sometimes had to shift 3 degrees before it bothered to update.

Good luck on the journey, Vera is controlling the air source heat pump here and a couple of Danfoss valves (cantankerous things) and the heating is settling down and becoming a steady comfortable heat through the house.

Nick[/quote]

Just a side note, we have been preaching to MCV since day one to put in conditionals e.g. and, or, etc. And I have feeling we will be waiting and waiting for that day to happen.

• Garrett

I have gathered that from reading the forum.

I did post in one of the suggestions spaces an easy way to implement it, whether they read it is another matter.

I’m just trying to work out why the temperature has gone past the value in the scene where the heating should have shut off and is still running!

Any easy way of working out why a scene didn’t trip??

Nick

Are you getting the ST814 temperature updates based on the wakeup period or tyring to use Auto report (temp - parameter 7) function?
I have not been able to get that to work although it would be a good solution for more frequent updates as the temperature varies.

No I have not tried the function 7 yet.

Regards,
Headworx

I’ve given up using the Everspring for inside temperature, Vera chopping it to 1 degree resolution is not good enough for what I want to do and the update is terrible, sometimes it would jump 3 degrees in one jump when it finally updated Vera.

The one I am using for outside temperature seems more reliable, maybe it likes fluctuating more.

The “one wire” solution from Chris is 100% reliable and updates in 0.1C resolution, it’s wired via Ethernet though and not Zwave.

Looks like I have the “polling code” running now, “checks temperature every 5 mins and acts on whether it is above or below a threshold” rather than “trying to spot it going past a set point and never finding it again if it missed the transition”.

Nick

Nick

Same here with the auto reporting. I configured for parameter 6 and 7, but no visible response. Apparently is changing the value of the variable of the Combo device in Advance panel, but is not modified at the embedded temperature sensor that is visible. I’ve tried a luup to change the variable in the Temperature sensor with the value of the variable from the Combo without a good result. Currently I am running the “polling” luup.

I am intrigue: did anybody succeeded in obtaining this sensor fully operational as it should be?!

I am intrigue: did anybody succeeded in obtaining this sensor fully operational as it should be?!

I’ve got 2 of them, one in an outbuilding to sense and report outside temperature, the other in the house that I had planned to control the heating with.

The outside one is working well, I think they work better with Vera when the temperature varies over a wide range. The inside one was reluctant to update Vera unless there were 2 or 3 degrees of shift between Vera and it. This made it useless for controlling the heating, Vera rounding to the nearest degree didn’t help either.

I am now controlling the heating with a “one wire” sensor connected via the Ethernet to Vera and have instant updates and 0.1C resolution. This is giving me what I need for intelligent heating control. Using around 0.5 degree C as a dead band is giving me a 30 minute temperature cycle, about right for me.

Mechanical thermostats respond more to their “accelerator heater” than room temperature rise as such when heating goes on and hence are delivering bursts of heat rather than heating until a given temperature is achieved. This leads to constant on periods regardless of temperature and varying off periods. A very different way of controlling to true temperature control.

DataMine is letting me graph what’s going on and hence adjust the settings to achieve the comfort at different times of day (ie if it felt cold at X time I can look back at what the temperature was at that time).

It’s coming along nicely, I will have a record of energy input to the heat pump as well so can assess the effects of system changes.

Nick